Physics Forests - A New Real-time Fluid Solver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    I wouldn't say that, 2 ms on 2 year old hardware sounds better. It doesn't need to run at all on 5 years old hardware.

I would want to use this in VR, and there no one has older hardware. The worst GPU this would have to run on is a GTX 970. As long as its possible to adjust how expensive it is, maybe by setting simulation accuracy or just giving people with a GTX 970 thicker fluids (bigger particles) than people with a 1080, its completely fine
    By the time the game ships a 970 gonna be ~5 years old
    | Finite State Machine | Object-Pool Plugin | Auto-Save Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin |

Comment

Hi lubor_,

We are working on a game where we need avalanche to occur on random locations of the map. that will be specified by the Player. So I wanted to know
      1. Can Physics Forests Fluid System be optimised for this big scenario? i.e. Avalanche would occur on real sized mountains.
      2. Can your fluid system be customised to act like snow avalanche?
      3. Can these generate collision Hit events or anything like it?

Would like to hear from you if these things are possible.

Best Regards
      Sumit Das

Comment

Originally posted by Sumit Das View Post
        1. Can Physics Forests Fluid System be optimised for this big scenario? i.e. Avalanche would occur on real sized mountains.
        2. Can your fluid system be customised to act like snow avalanche?
        3. Can these generate collision Hit events or anything like it?
        1. yes, and scaling is a bit easier for sand/snow, because particles don't need to be simulated, where nothing is moving
        2. yes, snow is a customized sand
        3. we can calculate the impact of snow on any movable (atm only rigid) object every frame. I think with a cumulative sum you can get what you want.

Comment

congratz men, that's stunning
          Linkedin | ArtStation | -SCIFI 'PROPS' PACK- | -SCIFI 'POPULATE' PACK- | Shooter Game Tutorial | StarDrop

Comment

I see this plugin being useful in 3d animation using Unreal Sequencer!!!

For 3d renders simular to "Toy Story" real time is not necessary and sequencer can cough up a decent amount of frames per second using This great fluid simulator You have developed...I would be happy to purchase such a Plugin and test it...i'm presently doing a student film and have ocean waves crashing on shore to render LOL...

Comment

Looks really amazing =) It`s based on Nvidia Flex or somth different ?

Comment

This looks amazing! wish we could see more, I would love to use it one day!

Comment

Good work [MENTION=751064]lubor_[/MENTION]! Keep it up!
                  Level Designer @ Avalon Games LLC, “The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” - Confucius

Comment

I really like what you are doing! I have a couple of questions, is it running on the main rendering thread or could you offload it to another cuda processor and leave the main card rendering? Is it restricted to viscous liquids at the moment, or can you add in other physical attributes like surface tension and non-Newtonian viscosity behavior? Is it possible to use it for gases?
                    Looks great though, well done.

Comment

Originally posted by researn View Post
                      could you offload it to another cuda processor and leave the main card rendering?
                      we haven't tried, but it should be possible
                      Is it restricted to viscous liquids at the moment, or can you add in other physical attributes like surface tension and non-Newtonian viscosity behavior?
                      Cohesion(surface tension)/adhesion forces are possible (used for example for honey or mercury in "various materials"). The only non-newtonian viscosity we tried was used for sand. I've seen some (real) videos of various weird non-newtonian fluids, I would need to see a mathematical description of that behavior to see if it's possible to simulate in our framework.
                      Is it possible to use it for gases?
                      We are working on it, we release videos, when we are happy with the quality.

Comment

Fantastic. A glimpse into the future.

Comment

A nice waterfall:

Comment

Haha! Just watching the videos is fun, though for practical purposes are there any plans for multi-grid/importance sampled sims? (Multiscale simulation detail where needed, I imagine just querying generating and querying SDFs would give you about a perfect approximation of where it's needed). And also any plans for caching sim results? Non interactive areas would benefit greatly from caching, EG a big unreachable river down below a bridge or even just a distant one.

Or really I guess there are a thousand ways to reduce this to utterly practical use, like just using it to spawn water particles from splashes or using it for particle based cloth sim. Actually that last one would be the most interesting, as you'd vastly reduce the number of simulated particles needed and could support pretty much ubiquitous cloth sim. Anyway looking forward to it being available, good work!

Comment

Perhaps a naive question but do you intend to release this as a general plugin and if so, do you have any sort of estimate when it might be available?
                              Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Excellent work.
                                I have had an interest in realistic water in Unreal Engine for a long time.
                                My target to build a realistic forest river (stream) that interact with rocks, have foam, etc, like in this video:
                                https://youtu.be/RsuafL_X270?t=18s
                                It is seems that this is achievable with your plugin.
                                Hope that you will release it on Unreal Engine Marketplace soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X