No announcement yet.

Scissor2D - A new 2D toolkit plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's any help, PaperZD (an extension for Paper2D that adds precisely animation blueprints, events and state machines).. is heavily inspired on the AnimationBlueprint... but creating an asset editor that had to move away from the persona and done from scratch, creating a blueprint compiler was also needed. If you are in need of recomendations on how i did that i have no problem on helping, also i could extend my plugin so it can support your flipbooks... If that's any interest to you. My main concern is to make 2d not a nightmare to work

I would give the showcase video here, but i don't want to spam.

Cheers!

Comment

Hiya, PaperZD looks like a great addition for people wanting to extend functionality in their Paper2D projects, nice work! Everyone go check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfzZLH8KTZw

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...on-for-paper2d

Reg the Animation Blueprint, yes my initial investigation showed that this was not trivial to implement, and would probably be better for a later release when the core of the plugin is out in the wild. Thanks for the offer of integration, but I will probably try to roll this functionality myself at some point to keep everything tightly streamlined. I may have (many) questions though!
      Twitter - Scissor2D Plugin

Comment

Sure no prob, anything you need feel free to ask...

Looking forward for your plugin as well... great job on tackling that (much needed) solution
        Last edited by HeavyBullets; 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

****, this is nice. Sadly my game is in a too advanced state to switch from Paper2D but keep the good work

Comment

Animated Sprites

Scissor2D now has support for Animated Sprites or Flipbooks (to keep with naming conventions). A Flipbook is a collection of Sprites that can be played one after each other via a ScissorFlipbookComponent. Just like the ScissorSpriteComponent, this renders through the ScissorRenderer, so supports batching and layering and all the good stuff!

New Flipbook Editor

Flipbooks are managed via a new redesigned (over Paper2D) FlipbookEditor. Here I have tried to make keyframe management more user friendly by including a visual drag and drop interface that can work with multiple selected sprites.

This allows groups of sprites to be rearranged, duplicated or removed with ease.

The interface also allows new sprites to be inserted anywhere into the list from the content browser.

Keyframe Notifies

The new Flipbook Editor also allows you to set Event Notifies on specific keyframes that will be called inside the ScissorFlipbookComponent. When a notify has been added to a keyframe, a little event icon will show to indicate this, you can then right click the keyframe to see what Notifies are set.

Once a Notify has been created it can be easily added to other keyframes via the context menu. This works with multiple selected frames, and gives you information about what notifies are common to all the selected frames.

Notifies are used by extending a ScissorFlipbookComponent in Blueprint and creating a function with the naming convention of Notify_YourNotifyName. This will then be called when the Flipbook starts playing that keyframe!

You can also subclass ScissorFlipbookComponent in C++ with the same naming convention if you prefer to keep things native.

As always any feedback or suggestions are always welcome!
            Last edited by Structure; 09-29-2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

This is some really amazing work! Thank you for both implementing the functionality, and also going the extra step for usability and convenience. I can absolutely see myself using this in the future.

Comment

Thanks nopunintendo, your kind words are appreciated. The forum has been a bit quiet of late.

I just realised that I didn't implement a drag and drop preview for the Flipbook Editor, it now feels even nicer with one!

I'm just planning out what i want to work on next, and I've been thinking a lot about Sorting Groups and their importance. Unity added Sorting Groups as a much requested feature after the Sorting Layer functionality was out in the wild. But I feel really Sorting Groups should be the default behaviour for Actors and their contained components.

I've decided I'm going to refactor the sorting layers a little to accommodate this. Doing this will also see a performance increase as i can pre-sort internal component groups, and the renderer will only need to deal with the root Actors.

Comment

Originally posted by Structure View Post
                  Thanks nopunintendo, your kind words are appreciated. The forum has been a bit quiet of late.

I just realised that I didn't implement a drag and drop preview for the Flipbook Editor, it now feels even nicer with one!

I'm just planning out what i want to work on next, and I've been thinking a lot about Sorting Groups and their importance. Unity added Sorting Groups as a much requested feature after the Sorting Layer functionality was out in the wild. But I feel really Sorting Groups should be the default behaviour for Actors and their contained components.

I've decided I'm going to refactor the sorting layers a little to accommodate this. Doing this will also see a performance increase as i can pre-sort internal component groups, and the renderer will only need to deal with the root Actors.
                  Great Work!

Can't wait to play with this =).

Comment

Sorting Groups

Scissor2D now has support for Sorting Groups, which is the new default behaviour for anything rendered inside a ScissorActor.

This slightly changes how sorting layers works over all as the 'Sorting Layer' and 'Order in Layer' variables have now moved to the base Scissor Actor.

Scissor Components now have a new variable called 'Render Order', which defines the draw order within an Scissor Actor.

Why have I done this? Before the changes, Components that are part of an Actor would need their layering settings set from the global layering pool. A problem arises when two Actors with the same layering setting pass over each other. As you can see above they interact in undesirable ways. The only solution being the creation of many render layers or writing a game system to dynamically move ordering around.

Under the new system Scissor Actors are treated as a singular entity so all the contained parts correctly sort over other actors on the same layer. In the rarer case that you actually need an Actor to span multiple world layers, you can use a UChildActorComponent with another ScissorActor in it and that will work as expected.

Right then, I think I'm going to tackle Texture Atlasing next, as it looks a bit tedious to implement and id like to get it out of the way
                    Last edited by Structure; 10-03-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

hmm...
                      again, Scissor2D looks alot like a Sideview 2D Editor only :/
                      A 2D J-RPG Editor with full Topdown support would be nice.. and yes.. i was thinking of a RPG Maker Like Editor..

Comment

Originally posted by Chaosgod_Espér View Post
                        hmm...
                        A 2D J-RPG Editor with full Topdown support would be nice.. and yes.. i was thinking of a RPG Maker Like Editor..
                        Well I have to ask then, why make RPG Maker inside UE4? In that case it would be way better to use RPG Maker itself directly^^

Comment

You've done some awesome work so far! I particularly like what you've done with the Flipbook Editor, both in functionality and usability.
                          Looking forward to seeing future progress!

Comment

Originally posted by jacobgood1 View Post
                            Great Work!
                            Thanks Jacob!

Originally posted by Chaosgod_Espér View Post
                            hmm...
                            Scissor2D supports sprite sorting by depth for side view style games, as well as sorting by screen height for top down rendering common in RPG Maker style games. The toolkit is designed to be a little lower level then something like RPG Maker which would pigeon hole it into one style of game, but there is nothing stopping you making something like that with it!

Originally posted by Alec View Post
                            You've done some awesome work so far!
                            Thanks Alec, it is slowly coming together now, glad you like what you see so far

Comment

Been silent for a bit... update?

Comment

Hi jacob, I have an alternative contract on at the moment, so Scissor development is going to be a little delayed until this is done.

As a side note, in an effort to keep subscription notify noise to a minimum, feel free to pm me about progress questions, but try not to bump the thread unless it is a specific question about existing / future Scissor2D functionality.

I can assure you I will always update the moment new things are ready to show off!

Comment

Working...
                                X