No announcement yet.

Scissor2D - A new 2D toolkit plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is looking really cool so far. I've always felt that Paper2D was really lacking, so I can't wait to see where this goes!

Comment

Hello! Scissor2D now has a public documentation only repository where you can track the development roadmap:

https://github.com/beepdavid/Scissor2D

Currently the release milestones are setup to be:

1.0 - Core functionality (renderer, asset pipeline, atlasing), Animated Sprites and Tilemaps
      2.0 - Skeletal Animation, Terrain Maps, 2D Lighting

Though I may split the release after 1.0 into smaller features. Currently there is no timescale on this work just yet, as it's a bit to early to be making accurate estimates, but 1.0 feels like the around the end of summer. Please feel free to comment on any issues you see or add feature requests as issues for any ideas you have, otherwise any feedback via this forum is also very welcome!

( you can also follow progress via my twitter @beepdavid )
      Twitter - Scissor2D Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Structure View Post

Hello! Scissor2D now has a public documentation only repository where you can track the development roadmap:

1.0 - Core functionality (renderer, asset pipeline, atlasing), Animated Sprites and Tilemaps

Though I may split the release after 1.0 into smaller features. Currently there is no timescale on this work just yet, as it's a bit to early to be making accurate estimates, but 1.0 feels like the around the end of summer. Please feel free to comment on any issues you see or add feature requests as issues for any ideas you have, otherwise any feedback via this forum is also very welcome!

Comment

Progress

How are things proceeding?

Comment

Originally posted by jacobgood1 View Post
            How are things proceeding?
            Things are going good! thanks for asking

You can always get a high level overview of where we are with the milestones by looking at this page here (though I'm thinking of actually splitting this into finer grain releases).

https://github.com/beepdavid/Scissor2D/milestones

But some "tasks" on the milestone list are quite large so have internal subtasks whose progress will not show up on the main tracker. Currently I'm putting together the core of the plugin, you can see the progress here on this project

https://github.com/beepdavid/Scissor2D/projects/1

Writing everything to a production quality is certainly going to feel slower then when I was prototyping so there may be larger gaps between progress updates then before.
            Last edited by Structure; 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

...Writing everything to a production quality is certainly going to feel slower then when I was prototyping so there may be larger gaps between progress updates then before.
              That is great to hear, and I have no shortage of patience when it comes to good work. You're already 10x more responsive than I would've expected. I've got my eye on that repo!

Comment

This looks incredible. Please keep up the amazing work.

Also, 2D Skeletal Animation++.
                @thereisnoscotty
                Grand Marshal of the Parade of Madfellows

Comment

Have you tried contacting Epic where you could just work on this as an official replacement to Paper 2D?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldsiren View Post
                    Have you tried contacting Epic where you could just work on this as an official replacement to Paper 2D?
                    I Agree with this approach as well but I think the author wishes to provide their own market to compete which is just as respectable.
                    WIP Wasabi Horizon: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...wasabi+horizon

Comment

Originally posted by Demoneyejin View Post
                      I Agree with this approach as well but I think the author wishes to provide their own market to compete which is just as respectable.
                      I disagree. I don't want anything to replace Paper2D. Paper2D is doing what it supposed to correct, it just needs more tool.
                      Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Comment

Interesting suggestion, but logistically probably impossible. As others have mentioned, it is my intention to make this as a separate commercial marketplace plugin. Really that is what the marketplace is for, to provide alternative offerings / extensions to areas of the engine that are not the core focus of Epic in the medium to long term.

Comment

excellent

Interesting suggestion, but logistically probably impossible. As others have mentioned, it is my intention to make this as a separate commercial marketplace plugin. Really that is what the marketplace is for, to provide alternative offerings / extensions to areas of the engine that are not the core focus of Epic in the medium to long term.
                          I am just happy that someone is doing it, that someone is capable of doing so and that they have financial backing to go with that capability. I check this forum far more often than I would like to admit, every time I check it I have to refrain from spamming you with ETA requests; like an impatient child on Christmas Eve, lol.

Comment

Glad you're excited, I am too! but keep in mind this is quite a large amount of work (check out the Paper2D source for size ideas) and I don't have the support of the Epic team around me to solve some more involved issues I'm coming across as I'm doing the implementation.

So I can assure you I'm chipping away at this as fast as I can, but it is all going to take a while

tbh if you have a game idea you are eager to get started with, I'd start prototyping in Paper2D or alternative engine and then you can evaluate Sissor2D on its release and see if you want to make the switch.

Comment

Hi, thought I'd update with a mini progress update as it has been a little while.

As you can see on the roadmap I am currently working on the core of the plugin, which is all the asset handling and rendering of batched sprites. This has all been going well, but I've hit a couple of roadblocks (bumps?) that are taking me some time to solve.

Currently the render pipeline is set up so that Scissor Components themselves are very lightweight and send render commands to a centralized renderer actor that can do all the batching and layer sorting. This has been working great, but because this is not the standard Unreal workflow I'm hitting a few issues when making editor tools that expect a components to be self encapsulated (ie render itself without support classes).

This is affecting the development of things like drag and drop previews and stand alone asset previews. I am weighing up different solutions atm, with the aim to find a way that feels correctly integrated with the editor but still gives us the required feature set.
                              Last edited by Structure; 07-06-2017, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Are things still going well?

Comment

Working...
                                X