Update there

I've been struggling hard these past weeks with several things:
    - 4.16 compatibility
    - packaged version behavior discrepencies
    - IRL work
    - Blueprint instability overall when changing asset names and folders

But I've managed to do several things:
    - added a Multiplayer Menu with simple Host / Join feature
    - cleaned up all the hierarchy, asset names, updated stuff to Unreal standards, renamed things
    - tested MCE a bit as a user, it helped me shape the end-user workflow
    - this made me rework several big systems and that's why I ended up fighting against some Blueprint instability
    - I added Categories to my Blueprint nodes to help the user find the nodes MCE gives him:
    System: Everything MCE does internally, you might not want to call or edit this.
    Feature: Everything MCE allows you to do, you might want to browse them.
    Setup: Nodes MCE needs to be properly setup, expose lots of tweakable variables.
    HUD: Nodes MCE offers to display on screen informations.
    Override: Functions you can override to customize MCE without editing System functions

Next steps:
    - finalize some reworked systems
    - rebuild the examples that were associated with them
    - add few missing juicy features

And these will get me to the last big task: add shortcuts / tooltips and comments to Blueprint code.

I know it's getting far longer than expected but I'm happy with how it goes. I'm taking my time to produce something I really think people can iterate on and learn from.

I wish everyone plenty of power for the week to start.

Good luck and Have fun!
    [WIP - Plugin] Multiplayer Combat Editor
    A-RPG Sacred Swords
    Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Update!

I've completed all the features I wanted.

I now need to write the comments / tooltips to increase the friendliness and teaching potential of the Multiplayer Combat Editor.

It will be a long task but I hope I'll find the strength to get it through quickly.

I'd be glad to here some feedacks on what you'd like to see / learn from the code comments and the common mistakes you see in comments in general (things that don't help).

Have a good night ladies and gentlemen.

I wish you good luck and have fun in your projects.
      Last edited by Yun-Kun; 06-28-2017, 06:35 PM.
      A-RPG Sacred Swords
      Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Hey there

Update after 20 hours of code commenting

There are 2 main categories of content in the plugin: the Core content and the Example content. I finished commenting the first part, the second will wait for now.

Commenting the Example content will take me about 15 hours and will basically unlock the full potential of MCE (that's where people will learn how to use it). But I don't need to comment them to submit the plugin. And since the submission process will be long, I'll plan on commenting this part of the content at that moment.

Here are few of the blueprint nodes the user can call in "BP_Skill" which is the actor component representing an ability in the game. There are many more features included...

Imagine a series of event like, press -> FX + animation | Anim notify -> find actors in sphere -> deal damage and stun + FX.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MCEFeatures.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	1130820

Current ongoing tasks:
        - making the Example map
        - making & packaging the Demo Project
        EDIT:

And I realized I had several systems in place that allow me to quickly create a new feature: Team Modifier. You can now modify the team of an actor that has a Combat Manager on-the-fly with Modifiers.

I tried it with the Bolt skill which can be considered like a Charm here. I'm bending Zombies to my will!

Have a good day ladies and gentlemen
        Last edited by Yun-Kun; 07-09-2017, 05:41 AM.
        A-RPG Sacred Swords
        Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Hey there

Update again!

I've finished rebuilding the example showcase map and I recorded myself walking through it and testing all blueprint examples. Here is the video:

I will likely be submitting in the week or the next week after fixing the last remaining bugs.

Have a good day ladies and gentlemen
          Last edited by Yun-Kun; 07-10-2017, 03:47 AM.
          A-RPG Sacred Swords
          Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Update here

I decided to polish MCE a bit more before trying to submit it and add two new features : spawn AI with Skill (Summons & Minions) and Limited Target Amount (piercing projectiles and limited target area of effects).

I realized not having these features was lackluster when I was trying to brainstorm Moba characters using MCE tools. This was definitely something I needed to fix.

I also plan to try things out in 4.16 and 4.17 to do a triple version release (from 4.15 to 4.17). I hope everything is going to work smoothly on this side (4.16 looked fine with MCE last time I checked). I'm not sure if I can only submit the 4.15 version alone.

Originally posted by belushy View Post
              Looks great!
              Thank you!
              Last edited by Yun-Kun; 07-14-2017, 05:33 AM.
              A-RPG Sacred Swords
              Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Update here

I have made a "Let's Create" video inspired by GaimeDev.

I recreated Ezreal with the Multiplayer Combat Editor tools (minus the basic attacks and the passive).

Here is the video showcasing the whole process (50 minutes) but timestamps are in the description if you'd like to just check the end results

My experience highlighted few things I needed to improve regarding the skill creation workflow.

It also made me realize I did not think about Passive skills at all (it did not cross my mind whereas I'm a moba enthusiast, I feel bad ).
                I'll surely not add them now without prepairing their addition properly therefore I'm likely to add them after the release.

I'm going to fix the few thing I noticed and I guess I'll be packaging an example project for you guys.

In the meantime, have fun in your projects everyone

EDIT: Everything seems to be working fine in 4.16 without any efforts. It's looking promising
                Last edited by Yun-Kun; 07-15-2017, 06:27 PM.
                A-RPG Sacred Swords
                Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Looks fantastic great job and work, would you consider adding in network prediction or supporting dedicated servers at all in the future?

Comment

My god this looks incredible. I'd love to see more videos like the Ezreal one. Especially if it's less work for you instead of editing or commentating. I really wish I could buy this right now. I'll be buying it day one for sure.
                    You do some incredible work. Thank you for your generous contributions!

Comment

Hey there!

Thank you for your support guys, I really appreciate it

Originally posted by Smartay View Post
                      would you consider adding in network prediction or supporting dedicated servers at all in the future?
                      Dedicated Server:
                      It would need some rework regarding the code, not much of a big deal in itself. But if I'd like to keep the Listen-Server feature, I'd have to maintain and update two systems at once. And I can't do that. It means I have to choose one setup. I chose "Listen Server" because I guessed most of the user base would build a game using Listen Server (since Dedicated needs more $$$ if you want to ship the game). I also believe most people who're playing around Multiplayer are doing so using Listen-Server setup (it is more convenient).

But I'm not sure of this, it was kind of a guess. Please let me know what you think.

Movement Prediction
                      This is a tough one. I'm already struggling to get the dash / movement skills to be smooth on Client Machines. The way to smooth it really depends on your game / setup and I'm having quite a hard time. I'll keep you in touch about the multiplayer prediction overall but note that it is quite a complicated subject which I'm not comfortable with. Especially since it basically yells "tweak the character movement c++ class" all over the internet and I certainly won't do that because it goes against the "plug and play" philosophy of MCE. Movement Prediction is all about this as well and it might be wrapped up with the rest of my solution, and it might not.

Originally posted by TheQuiet1994 View Post
                      I'd love to see more videos like the Ezreal one. Especially if it's less work for you instead of editing or commentating.
                      There will be video tutorials about how to use the plugin. Most of them will be about discovering MCE's feature by creating game content. And of course I plan to talk, go slow and explain everything. This one was just the first test I made to make sure the plugin was friendly to use.
                      And yeah they definitely take less time than commenting the whole thing (and I enjoy a lot more as you can guess ).

I improved the "Make Transform" and "Rotation" process as it was too much overhead. I wrapped the whole thing into two functions that does it all for us

Regarding the Multiplayer Combat Editor:
                      - I won't be working much on it this week, lots of things are happening IRL
                      - In the meantime, a 2D Artist will be doing some stuff to promote MCE (neat )

I'm reworking the dash to be cool and I wait to get every pieces needed to submit.

I won't rush anything regarding submission. It was 6 months of hard work for me regarding the plugin and work in general, 6 months of rushing forward.

I'm going to clearly analyze, review and process now. Then I'll make the move. Hopefully within the month or the next one.

Have a good evening ladies and gentlemen
                      Last edited by Yun-Kun; 07-18-2017, 02:49 PM.
                      A-RPG Sacred Swords
                      Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Update here

I worked and added a new feature this past two weeks: passive skills and trigger modifiers. Passive skills is an obvious feature that I completly forgot about but couldn't do without.
                        Trigger modifiers are little bit special, it is an object that allows us to listen to game events (like an Action being used by an actor, a Stat reaching a certain threshold or a kill / damage being dealt). These modifiers allow passive skills to trigger only at specific moments.

An example would a be a "Fury" skill, that only grants you an Attack Speed bonus when below 50% Health.

This is a pretty basic example but I've made sure we're able to create many different things.

I also received visual assets from a friend of mine to communicate about the Multiplayer Combat Editor.

Here's a first draft I can showcase but there's more in my pocket:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	logo_forum.png
Views:	1
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	1132161

I completed the passive skill feature and I'm moving on to creating the game example for it and improving the usability of MCE (once again). I felt some things were not as good as they could be last time I tried as a user.

I'm planning to release MCE on Itch.Io first as approval times on the Marketplace seem to be long at the moment but I'll submit in the same time.

Have a good start of the week everyone
                        A-RPG Sacred Swords
                        Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Very interested in this, keep up the great work !

Comment

Definitely gonna use this to kickstart my fps game. Really looking forward to it

Comment

Insanely good fantastic work

Comment

Update here!

Thanks for the kind comment, they mean a lot to me

These past two weeks I worked on fixing the bugs that emerged from the massive clean up of the code and the implementation of the passive skills. I also improved some aspects of the workflow that didn't feel friendly to use.

Now I'm making every widgets easily customizable. I completly forgot about them in the first place and couldn't cut them: stuff like Skill Slots and Stat List are mandatory in a game and tied to the systems handling them. I already had everything in place, just not exposed in a friendly way for the user. I'm fixing it.

I also have a "to-polish" list but I'm not sure it will make the cut before the Itch.Io release. I'll see how it goes and how are my working hours.

I'll be back soon with more information
                                Last edited by Yun-Kun; 08-17-2017, 12:57 PM.
                                A-RPG Sacred Swords
                                Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Working...
                                X