Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrain Blending Tool (based on Star Wars: Battlefront)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrederickD View Post
    Cool! I'm from Kortrijk. I had considered attending DAE back when it started. Do you live in Belgium ?

There is a new Meetup group for unreal West-vlaanderen. Maybe you can join? There is also one for belgium.

Great work on the material! I can definitely use this.
    Thanks for the info! Although I'm currently in Valencia, so I won't be able to take advantage of that group for a while .

Comment

Congratulations ^^

Comment

Great job, i always look at terrain in BF one, and wonder how to achieve than in UE
        Your tool is amazing bud
        http://erminascic3d.blogspot.com/

Comment

Where can i download it?
          [LEGENDS of EPICATwitter / FB / YT / Vimeo discord.gg/saG3x4Y]

Comment

Hey, I found a clue about the "missing link" about this technique (how to find out the normals of the terrain around the static mesh) here at 1:42:48 https://youtu.be/eYDn2sQ8uKs?t=1h42m48s
            ..For each particle, looks up into the global distance field and it gets the distance to the nearest surface and it also computes the gradient of the distance field which gives you the normal of the surface you are closest to. So you automatically know both the distance and what the normal of that surface is...
            Next step is to somehow blend the the normals of the of the static mesh and the normals of the terrain with the mask from 'DistanceToNearestSurface' Node for each pixel.

We just need someone to translate that into Material Nodes or HSLS Custom Node, please

Comment

Was this tool ever available, or does Unreal has something similar nowadays (2017)?

Comment

I think what you have done here is a Great thing
                I know my self others have looked at this and wonderd what can be done
                but you are the one that did it
                I wonder if you can make a blending tool that works with armor/clothing character blending
                as a toon moves the armor/clothing cuts in to the toon body cuasing a graphic cut in to the charter
                perhaps advancing your tool to handel this interaction would be an even greater feet ?

Comment

I wonder about stability/reliability and performance thou. Is it possible to make a Battlefront type of game with it?
                  Like in this video at the end:

Comment

Originally posted by Sen3D View Post
                    I wonder about stability/reliability and performance thou. Is it possible to make a Battlefront type of game with it?
                    I have to be snarky here, and ask: has you seen teh Unreal Engine before? Watched any of the showcase reels?

Comment

can't wait my landscape needs this badly

Comment

Wow... This is looking soo usefull. Thanks for your work.

Comment

Originally posted by Derjyn View Post
                          I have to be snarky here, and ask: has you seen teh Unreal Engine before? Watched any of the showcase reels?
                          I love Unreal! I'm referring to Distance Fields. One or two rocks might work. I just wonder if it's still stable enough for the production of a bigger game.
                          Because he said it himself:
                          "since Distance Fields can be pretty unstable"

Comment

Originally posted by OlmoPotums View Post
                            The deadline of the project is in two weeks, so I probably will put it up then . I have exams now, so everything is a bit busy at the moment

Any update? I hope exams went well! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sen3D View Post
                              I love Unreal! I'm referring to Distance Fields. One or two rocks might work. I just wonder if it's still stable enough for the production of a bigger game.
                              Because he said it himself:
                              "since Distance Fields can be pretty unstable"
                              I'm working on a game project which includes a big physics based ocean. I initially used distance fields to render foam around objects. But I had to turn it off as it caused way too much of an FPS drop. With the distance fields disabled I now get a very stable 120+ FPS. With it enabled it would sometimes drop to 20/30. Distance fields will be a GREAT tool once it's more optimized. And when it is I will definitely re-enable it again in the project I'm working on. But for now the sacrifice in performance is just much too high. Even when you look at several videos on youtube, most if not all of them will recommend not using distance fields unless you really really need it and the sacrifice in performance is worth it. Like for a purely visual project I guess it has a place. But if you are building a game and are aiming for stable performance, especially over a wide array of mahines, it's still not worth it sadly. I really hope distance fields will become much more optimized and viable for games.

Comment

Working...
                              X