Terra Nova - Dynamic in-game environment builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
    [MENTION=115910]Synnoid[/MENTION] Just found this. Very interesting. Are you still working on it? Have you done anymore since release?
    I have been working on it yes. I don't have much free time but I am experimenting with generating spherical terrains.
    Like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	14581578_10209372321678727_8960386029244332506_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1117577

I am also tackling dynamic LODing and have done some minor optimizations.
    Not sure yet when I will release all this though

Comment

Watch out with that name, Terra Nova was also the name of a series:
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1641349/

It might cause copyright issues.

Comment

[MENTION=115910]Synnoid[/MENTION] That's pretty cool. I was going to buy it to learn from, but was hoping it had LODing in it already. If I buy it now, will I get your LODing work when you are finished too? Also, is this all in C++ or Blueprint. I do all my work in C++ so am looking to build some custom terrain for my game in C++.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGoatsy View Post
          Watch out with that name, Terra Nova was also the name of a series:
          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1641349/

It might cause copyright issues.
          Terra Nova is just means new land in Latin, I doubt they will bother. But if they do, I'll gladly change it to New Land :P

Comment

Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
            [MENTION=115910]Synnoid[/MENTION] That's pretty cool. I was going to buy it to learn from, but was hoping it had LODing in it already. If I buy it now, will I get your LODing work when you are finished too? Also, is this all in C++ or Blueprint. I do all my work in C++ so am looking to build some custom terrain for my game in C++.
            The project is made with blueprints. And no LODing is not in yet. It is not really supported by the procedural mesh component and I haven't really figured out an elegant way to approach it.
            If you buy it you get all updates, but honestly if you are looking to create a C++ version I doubt you will learn much from the blueprint project

Comment

Originally posted by Synnoid View Post
              Terra Nova is just means new land in Latin, I doubt they will bother. But if they do, I'll gladly change it to New Land :P
              I just thought I should tell you if you ever where to get any issues.

Good luck with further development.

Comment

IMHO, the biggest barrier to learning anything from the project would be it's organisation; the blueprints are frequently heavily spaghettified, functions have names that don't necessarily describe what those functions do, and variables that are passed around between functions don't retain their names.

You can definitely learn something from it, but I suspect you'll end up re-organising a lot of it in the process.

Comment

lol after you generate a map in the creator how do you get it in game?

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                    IMHO, the biggest barrier to learning anything from the project would be it's organisation; the blueprints are frequently heavily spaghettified, functions have names that don't necessarily describe what those functions do, and variables that are passed around between functions don't retain their names.

You can definitely learn something from it, but I suspect you'll end up re-organising a lot of it in the process.
                    Yep this is my experience with this demo project too. I was really hoping to see a pure C++ implementation of this exact project. What an incredible result though... Definitely can learn from it.

Comment

Originally posted by g19max1 View Post
                      Yep this is my experience with this demo project too. I was really hoping to see a pure C++ implementation of this exact project. What an incredible result though... Definitely can learn from it.
                      If I would remake it I would approach it more structured (this was mainly teaching myself blueprint programming).
                      I definitely agree it is not that clean.
                      That's mainly why I am selling it as an educational project as is and not a more expensive plugin of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolutionsic View Post
                        lol after you generate a map in the creator how do you get it in game?
                        That's not what this is for. It is just an example of how you can approach editable terrain in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Synnoid View Post
                          That's not what this is for. It is just an example of how you can approach editable terrain in games.
                          Hi, I want to buy your project but I'm wondering if I will be able to save the terrain after its creation and use it in another level.

Comment

Originally posted by ProgSoul View Post
                            Hi, I want to buy your project but I'm wondering if I will be able to save the terrain after its creation and use it in another level.
                            No, you cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                              No, you cannot.
                              Theoretically if I could save the parameters that were used to generate the level, then I could reuse them to load the same runtime objects.

Comment

Yeah, that you can do. I can't recall if the example uses seeded random numbers in it's generation, but if it doesn't it should not be too huge an amount of work to alter it so that it does.

The rebuild time is pretty hefty though.

Comment

Working...
                                X