Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLUGIN] UMG Rich Text Box

Hey guys,
    I saw that some people want a multi-colored text in UMG, and I wanted that aswell, so I decided to pack it into a plugin. The RichTextBox is already available in the engine, but it is locked with UCLASS(Experimental). I copy/pasted those files inside new source files, removed the experimental tag, and packed it for a plugin, which works great.
    How it looks in UMG:

It supports all colors (uses hex color codes + opacity) and all font styles the selected font has. How the formatting works:
    It uses <span> for it's formatting. The hex codes are built the following way: #RRGGBBAA (red - green - blue - alpha / opacity, ranging from 0 to F). Examples for formatting:
    Code:
    <span color="#ffffffff">This is a white text.</>
    <span color="#ff0000ff">This is a red text.</>
    <span color="#ffff0066">This is a yellow text with 50% opacity.</>

<span style="bold">This is a bold text.</>
    <span style="italic">This is an italic text.</>
    <span style="bold italic">This is a bold italic text.</>

<span color="#0000ffff" style="bold">This is a blue bold text.</>
    The font styles such as "bold" or "italic" must have the same name in your font you put inside the TextBox.

Download: Click here
    Installation: Put the folder UmgRichTextBox inside the downloaded zip into your project's Plugins folder (if thats not existing, create it!).

Hope you like this plugin (even though my own work is 0% )!
    Hobby game developer from Germany Follow me on Twitter!
    Stuff I made:
    Steam Workshop Tutorial/Wiki
    Making a full working translation for your game and change it at runtime
    GitPush plugin
    Multi-colored text in UMG

Wow, I was needing this just yesterday.

It looks very promising, I'm going to give it a go and tell you how it goes.

Thank you so much dear sir

EDIT: I wonder if I can format this using Blueprints only.
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-27-2016, 07:26 AM.
    [WIP - Plugin] Multiplayer Combat Editor
    A-RPG Sacred Swords
    Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by Yun-Kun View Post
      EDIT: I wonder if I can format this using Blueprints only.
      It has a "Set Text" blueprint node, so setting the content with blueprints is possible, and it should also parse it instantly (the best thing there is the Format Text).
      Stuff I made:
      GitPush plugin

Comment

Working instantly as planned. Easily setup, easily used. Thank you so much
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-27-2016, 08:39 AM.
        A-RPG Sacred Swords
        Youtube Tutorials

Comment

That looks cool!!
          Stuff I made:
          GitPush plugin

Comment

This is awesome, Thanks

Comment

I tried doing this same thing but it doesn't seem to recognize <span> but instead makes an error message about slate styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Au-heppa View Post
                I tried doing this same thing but it doesn't seem to recognize <span> but instead makes an error message about slate styles.
                In my plugin or did you try that on your own?
                Stuff I made:
                GitPush plugin

Comment

Your plugin. Thanks a bunch, by the way

I got it working in the editor. I guess I needed to restart the editor for the it work properly or I had goofed something and not changed the text field to richtext after all.

But it doesn't seem to get packaged which is what I am trying to trouble shoot on other threads (plugins not packaging seems to be an issue that has been happening with other people).

Comment

You need to go into your ProjectName.Build.cs and uncomment the line with Slate and SlateCore. If you can't find the file, add a empty class to the project so it generates it.
                    Stuff I made:
                    GitPush plugin

Comment

There was no commented out line with Slate or SlateCore but I assume it should be

Code:
                      PrivateDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "Slate", "SlateCore" });
                      It didn't do it, though. When I press Launch or try packaging the game it wont show the RichText panel. It does show it when I Play the map from the editor. I have been trying to go through the other threads where people have had similar problems but a lot them seem to be about the project not being C++ project.

Comment

Originally posted by Au-heppa View Post
                        There was no commented out line with Slate or SlateCore but I assume it should be

Code:
                        PrivateDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "Slate", "SlateCore" });
                        It didn't do it, though. When I press Launch or try packaging the game it wont show the RichText panel. It does show it when I Play the map from the editor. I have been trying to go through the other threads where people have had similar problems but a lot them seem to be about the project not being C++ project.
                        Hm, thats strange... Try creating a C++ project and adding the plugin, but my project I tested it on is also a blueprint-only project and it works fine..
                        Stuff I made:
                        GitPush plugin

Comment

Originally posted by iUltimateLP View Post
                          Hm, thats strange... Try creating a C++ project and adding the plugin, but my project I tested it on is also a blueprint-only project and it works fine..
                          My project is C++ project. Using C++ project instead of BP one was one of the suggestions on other forums, too. Another one was that I should put it in the Game folder instead of Engine folder for plugins, which I had also already done.

Comment

Okay, adding "UmgRichTextBox" as a dependency module seemed to do the trick.

Comment

No packaging problems here on a full blueprint project.

Just so you know
                              A-RPG Sacred Swords
                              Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Working...
                              X