Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VICODynamics: a particle based Soft-Body physics Plugin

A Particle Based Physics Library Implementing Position Based Dynamics

Click image for larger version  Name:	VDS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.2 KB ID:	1191496

Originally created as a pure UE4 plugin for our game, CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling, in order to create physically simulated Ring Ropes. It was originally called VICO Dynamic Rope System Plugin but was limited in many ways.

This library is the evolution of the VICO Dynamic Rope System Plugin; not only is this library essentially engine independent (almost true at the moment, requires external Rigid Body physics interface, PhysX in the case of UE4) but it also simulates a much more accurate system with higher performance, support for multi-threaded simulation, and most importantly: is in no way limited to just simulating ropes!

VICODynamics can now simulate cloth, either procedurally created sheets or by converting Static Meshes into Cloth, with collision, attachments, tension constraints, drag modifiers, applied forces and physically simulated wind with support for Occlusion! And volume preserving soft-bodies are coming soon followed by fluids.

The beauty of using a particle based simulation is that you are never limited in what you can create out of particles and constraints.

Another big feature of VICO Dynamics; is that it runs on the CPU. This means it supports a wide variety of platforms: PC/Mac/Linux, Mobile and Console! No dependencies to any hardware. Has been tested on Windows/Linux/Mac, Xbox One, PS4/Pro and is being tested on the Nintendo Switch now.

For more details and performance info, please visit this page: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

UPDATE 10/02/17: Feature Update 2 is on the Marketplace! Here: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ynamics-plugin

Trailer:

Feature Rundown:

Showcase:
    Here is a video of a Showcase level created using many features of VICODynamics. Captured in real-time on an i7 6800k with a GTX 1080 ti at 4k 60fps. This level uses 8,000 Particles and over 60,000 Constraints! All running at over 60fps in single-threaded mode and over 100fps in multi-threaded mode!

Attached Files
    Last edited by VICOGameStudio; 12-07-2017, 02:43 PM.

• replied
    Sorry to write again with the same issue but collision is really not working... Look:

https://youtu.be/81-uQ8cvzm4?t=41

Sometimes it decides to respect the collision and at times it doesn´t. I checked the collision channels and everything is setup correctly.

Have I reached the limits of this plugin? Was I supposed to use it only as a static rope with no or little movement?

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hair settings add
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...nd-more-cutely

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mfaroukb View Post

Yes your feed back did helped me a lot to solve the problems. Sorry not getting back to you, I got involved in another urgent project and I had to leave the project with the rope for a while.
    Now I am having trouble with collision between the rope and mannequin.

First the particle size is big so the collision starts with a big space between the rope and the object. When I decrease it dose not decrease the particle size and hence the collision distance. My rope has width of 1 and the particle is 5.

2) While dragging the rope it jiggles also it is dragged to a certain limit then pass through the mannequin hand. I enabled the "per poly collision" for the skeletal mesh.

My scene contains a rope attached between two cubes in a vertical position. I need the mannequin hand to grab the rope and it rest in the hand of the mannequin till it is released.

Thank you again
    I will follow up with you on the email you sent over regarding this since it has a bit more detail. And I'll post the results/solution here after

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by tapirtoon View Post

Hi, I was wondering if this plugin could be used on characters for hair (like 2 or 3 braids- not very many)?
    The tough part here is collision with the moving character, the way collision detection is currently done means that the particles only ever get a snapshot of the scene every timestep. They then react accordingly to any collisions. But the issue is that a moving collider has no clue about the particles, so when it moves the particles will only see it on their next timestep as a collider at a new location. They are not made aware of the colliders trajectory. This results in inaccurate collisions.
    I do have a plan to improve this, but I do not have an eta on getting that implemented yet.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by David Chaseling View Post

Hey mate, sorry to keep asking. Did you end up getting around to testing this on Android?
    Not just yet, I'm sorry for the delay. My own game has been taking priority lately.
    It's only the plugin that needs testing, the actual physics library is good to go for Android. I'm going to try and get it all wrapped up end of next month. I should make that, but please take it as a rough estimate as things may come up on my game.
    And please do check in with me more often

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post

Hello,

Wanted to check in with you, did I sufficiently answer your email regarding this?
    Hope all is sorted, let me know if I can answer further questions

Yes your feed back did helped me a lot to solve the problems. Sorry not getting back to you, I got involved in another urgent project and I had to leave the project with the rope for a while.
    Now I am having trouble with collision between the rope and mannequin.

First the particle size is big so the collision starts with a big space between the rope and the object. When I decrease it dose not decrease the particle size and hence the collision distance. My rope has width of 1 and the particle is 5.

2) While dragging the rope it jiggles also it is dragged to a certain limit then pass through the mannequin hand. I enabled the "per poly collision" for the skeletal mesh.

My scene contains a rope attached between two cubes in a vertical position. I need the mannequin hand to grab the rope and it rest in the hand of the mannequin till it is released.

Thank you again

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hi Fabito,

From the video, it actually looks like a combo of two issues:
    1. The ropes do not seem to have proper collision filtering setup and are colliding even with volumes. Ideally, you want to setup collision channels such that the ropes channel only collides with the intended channels and/or objects.
    2. The jittering near the attachment points is due to a few particles constantly colliding with the physics asset. This can be fixed by having the particles near the attachment point disable their collision.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have further questions
    Hi, I was wondering if this plugin could be used on characters for hair (like 2 or 3 braids- not very many)?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Just need to get the plugin itself tested on Android via UE4. Been having issues setting up the SDKs along with the 4.22 update. I will try to get those sorted soon. If you have the environment setup and are up for testing it, let me know. Would appreciate the help.
    Hey mate, sorry to keep asking. Did you end up getting around to testing this on Android?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by fabito rychter View Post
    Hi, I am using the plugin to simulate a rope swinging with the wind but for some reason, the rope is ignoring the characters colision and physics asset:

Look: https://youtu.be/x3c7GymCXYU

In this scene I enlarged the physic asset to show the rope ignoring it.
    Hi Fabito,

From the video, it actually looks like a combo of two issues:
    1. The ropes do not seem to have proper collision filtering setup and are colliding even with volumes. Ideally, you want to setup collision channels such that the ropes channel only collides with the intended channels and/or objects.
    2. The jittering near the attachment points is due to a few particles constantly colliding with the physics asset. This can be fixed by having the particles near the attachment point disable their collision.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have further questions

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I am using the plugin to simulate a rope swinging with the wind but for some reason, the rope is ignoring the characters colision and physics asset:

Look: https://youtu.be/x3c7GymCXYU

In this scene I enlarged the physic asset to show the rope ignoring it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mfaroukb View Post
    Hi all

I am trying to attach a rope to a vive tracker. My first trial was attaching the rope to a rigid body and attach the rigid body to the tracker, but the rigid body moved and not the rope. I also tried to attach the rope directly to the tracker same problem. I even tried to move the actor to the tracker position so the actor moves but not the rope component.

Any ideas how to solve this?
    Hello,

Wanted to check in with you, did I sufficiently answer your email regarding this?
    Hope all is sorted, let me know if I can answer further questions

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi all

I am trying to attach a rope to a vive tracker. My first trial was attaching the rope to a rigid body and attach the rigid body to the tracker, but the rigid body moved and not the rope. I also tried to attach the rope directly to the tracker same problem. I even tried to move the actor to the tracker position so the actor moves but not the rope component.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Leave a comment:

• replied

I have not released an update yet, so no changes just yet. But I do have someone working on collision now, so it should not be too long until this issue is fully addressed.
    yay can’t wait for the issue to be addressed

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post
    VICOGameStudio
    Will cloth stay where you put it now? Has the sliding issue been fixed yet?
    Sorry for the double post, forgot how to tag people in posts for a minute lol
    I have not released an update yet, so no changes just yet. But I do have someone working on collision now, so it should not be too long until this issue is fully addressed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X