VICODynamics: a particle based Soft-Body physics Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    @VICOGameStudio Hey. I'm trying to make a package for Android and it's not working. From my peeking at the code, I don't think this plugin has been tested on the Android; Android is not even part of the WhitelistPlatforms in the .uplugin file. Once I added "Android" to the .uplugin file, I can't compile the Android build:

VICODynamicsPlugin/Source/VICODynamicsPlugin/Private/VDSimulation.cpp:154: error: undefined reference to 'CreateSimulation'
    clang++.exe: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    Error executing C:\NVPACK\android-ndk-r14b\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows-x86_64\bin\clang++.exe (tool returned code: 1)

I think it has to do with the Build.cs file as there's nothing in the Target.Platform == UnrealTargetPlatform.Android block in SetupVICODynamicsLib(ReadOnlyTargetRules Target).
    I'm not too familiar with Android builds, so I would really appreciate it if you can make the plugin work in Android.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the update!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mrboni View Post
    Can't wait for the inflatables!

I'm playing with the MeshCloth currently and am kinda confused. It seems I have to have a particle per vertex? That means I can only use super simple meshes. Is there a way to have less particles than verts?

Like we see here https://youtu.be/fjguI90nSok?t=38 (I know this is volume preserving but it shows sparse particles over a dense mesh)

Thanks
    They are coming soon

As of now, no. It is a 1-1 mapping. But I will definitely be adding a sparse mapping setup after the initial release.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe use the lod tool to lower face count?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can't wait for the inflatables!

I'm playing with the MeshCloth currently and am kinda confused. It seems I have to have a particle per vertex? That means I can only use super simple meshes. Is there a way to have less particles than verts?

Like we see here https://youtu.be/fjguI90nSok?t=38 (I know this is volume preserving but it shows sparse particles over a dense mesh)

Thanks
    Last edited by mrboni; 11-29-2019, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
    Here is a quick preview of what's coming soon:
    Volume Preserving Soft-Bodies!
    More details soon

you're giving the best nerdgasms

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here is a quick preview of what's coming soon:
    Volume Preserving Soft-Bodies!
    More details soon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rainoxer View Post

Hello, is it implemented now? This is exactly the thing I would use this plugin for!
    I've not yet implemented this as a prefab, but I'd be happy to help answer any questions about getting a grappling hook implemented.
    I've not focused on it since it is a gameplay feature that can be implemented in a myriad of ways based on what the game needs. No one solution.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post

Thank you. A grappling hook implementation is actually on our Trello TODO list.
    Hello, is it implemented now? This is exactly the thing I would use this plugin for!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After changing the value in Project Settings, did you press "Set as Default" towards the top? If not, UE4 will not apply the change to a packaged build and will keep it Editor only.
    That solved the problem, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AngeIV View Post
    Very interesting!! thank you. It seems to essentially be a sort of procedural and kinematic animation, if you will. Fantastic for simple visuals and non-critical physics "accessories." The performance gains are more than worth the drawbacks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atcKO15YVD8

You might enjoy that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LenaAlthammer View Post
    Hi!
    So I got the following error:

The thing is, I had already increased the Particle Budget to 10000 in the Project Settings. The only thing that works is changing the value directly in the VICODynamics.h. Is this a bug?

Cheers, Lena

Edit: The log is from a Development Build, in Editor everything seems fine, a Shipping Build will crash
    After changing the value in Project Settings, did you press "Set as Default" towards the top? If not, UE4 will not apply the change to a packaged build and will keep it Editor only.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi!
    So I got the following error:

[2019.10.29-10.52.09:807][974]LogVICODynamics: VeryVerbose: VICODynamics Stats - Particle count: 961, Constraint count: 1895
    [2019.10.29-10.52.38:186][850]LogVICODynamics: Display: Rebuilding Rope NODE_AddVDDynamicRopeComponent-1 with 121 Segments and 120.50 Length
    [2019.10.29-10.52.38:187][850]PIE: Error: NODE_AddVDDynamicRopeComponent-1 : Calling CreateParticle on VDSimObject but failed to create Particle, make sure you are not creating more Partcles than memory reserved for in Project Setting->VICODynamics->Reserve Particle Budget! Increase that setting if needed.
    The thing is, I had already increased the Particle Budget to 10000 in the Project Settings. The only thing that works is changing the value directly in the VICODynamics.h. Is this a bug?

Cheers, Lena

Edit: The log is from a Development Build, in Editor everything seems fine, a Shipping Build will crash
    Last edited by LenaAlthammer; 10-29-2019, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NewRunDMC View Post
    If this is too confusing/difficult to answer as a question I apologize ahead of time. Am I correct in assuming that the Soft-Body Dynamics (water-tight volume) is done on a per-vertex basis? Let's say I am using this plugin on a Kirby-like character (sphere topology/shape), and the soft-body effect is cosmetic only (I think that will allow multi-core?), and I am targeting Xbox One etc. (assume 8-core, fairly modern speed); realistically, what could I have as the vertex count on this sphere-like character (ballpark numbers are fine). I am going to end up purchasing your plugin either way, but I am trying to gauge how many vertices (so how tessellated/smooth the sphere is) I could afford to simulate (cosmetic, so some accuracy can be dropped), is this in the range of 10-100, 100-500, or 500-1000 without making performance abysmal? Thanks!
    Volume-preserving soft-bodies, which is what you'd use in your case, are nearly ready to be used. I need to get the rendering and component bits put in on the plugins side.

All VD components support multi-threaded simulation. This is a tough one to answer without running a test, but I'd ballpark it at 500-1000 depending on how you want collision done and how many simulation sub-steps are done each frame. I'll try to get a sphere test setup and get you more accurate numbers, but as a general rule particle count doesn't affect performance as much as collision checks and constraint solver iteration counts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X