No announcement yet.

VICODynamics: a particle based Soft-Body physics Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update 4.22. There is success with the implementation of the spring?

Comment

Is anyone else having issues getting a non-zero length for the ParticleArray in the VDRope Component, using UE4.22? I can't grab specific particles and attach them where I need to because the Array is empty. I've set the number of segments to 40, and have moved the value around but the particle array never returns a length above 0.

Update: Turns out if the folders are named incorrectly sometimes the .dll won't load. Fixing the folder names fixed it.
      Last edited by Ascendancy; 04-18-2019, 01:42 PM.
      Facebook: www.facebook.com/NonLocalitySoftware
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/NonLocality_Dev
      Instagram: @nonlocalitysoftware
      Discord: JBBym8F

Comment

Originally posted by Ascendancy View Post
        Is anyone else having issues getting a non-zero length for the ParticleArray in the VDRope Component, using UE4.22? I can't grab specific particles and attach them where I need to because the Array is empty. I've set the number of segments to 40, and have moved the value around but the particle array never returns a length above 0.
        This was reported by one other dev, I'm looking into it now
        Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
        Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
        Current Projects:
        CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
        VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

Comment

Originally posted by Dreika View Post
          Thanks for the update 4.22. There is success with the implementation of the spring?
          It's coming along, I hope to have it in the next feature update
          Current Projects:
          CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
          VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

Comment

Hi! I am trying to spawn and attach a rope during runtime, which generally works well using the rebuild rope nodes. The problem is that the direction in which the cable comes out from the attached object is crucial. I am looking to spawn something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PlacedRope.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1612418

Using the rebuild node I get this:

Name:	RebuiltRope.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1612419

And trying to spawn the setup from the first image, this:

Name:	SpawnedRope.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	1612420

What can I do to achieve my goal?

Comment

I found the 'Attach to overlapping rigid bodies' node and it works, but only if the two meshes are directly opposed. As soon as they are not, only the start location target attaches properly (with the correct direction), the other one just dangles:

Name:	Rope.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	1612510

Any way to work around this?

Comment

Originally posted by LenaAlthammer View Post
                I found the 'Attach to overlapping rigid bodies' node and it works, but only if the two meshes are directly opposed. As soon as they are not, only the start location target attaches properly (with the correct direction), the other one just dangles:

Name:	Rope.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	1612510

Any way to work around this?
                Have you tried creating the attachment right after spawning the rope? You can do that by calling any of the Attach* nodes on the end Particle. You can grab any of the Particles via the "Particles" array in the Rope Component. The order is such that the end points are at index 0 and N-1. Let me know if that helps
                Current Projects:

Comment

I tried the following:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unbenannt.PNG Views:	2 Size:	177.2 KB ID:	1613362

Unfortunately, the length of the Particles array is always output as 0. Is that a bug? I am using your example project in 4.22

Comment

I managed to access the correct number of particles by adding a small delay after rebuilding the rope, and to attach the rope.
                    It still dangles, though:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unbenannt.PNG Views:	1 Size:	229.7 KB ID:	1613380
                    Last edited by LenaAlthammer; 04-29-2019, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I managed to access the correct number of particles by adding a small delay after rebuilding the rope, and to attach the rope.
                      It still dangles, though:

Click image for larger version Name:	Unbenannt.PNG Views:	1 Size:	229.7 KB ID:	1613380
                      Regarding empty Particles array on BeginPlay, this is correct as the rope has not been Built/Rebuilt just yet. You should bind to the OnSimulationDataCreated event of the Component. This will guarantee that the data is ready to be accessed.

Regarding the dangling, try setting the rest length after the Rebuild has completed to a bit less than the distance between the start and end actors. The node is SetNewRestLength.
                      Current Projects:

Comment

Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post

Regarding empty Particles array on BeginPlay, this is correct as the rope has not been Built/Rebuilt just yet. You should bind to the OnSimulationDataCreated event of the Component. This will guarantee that the data is ready to be accessed.
                        Actually, this is not the case. If you look at my blueprint above, you'll see the Print String node (that logged a 0) is placed after the rope was rebuilt.

Regarding the dangling, try setting the rest length after the Rebuild has completed to a bit less than the distance between the start and end actors. The node is SetNewRestLength.
                        This is not a solution, as I do want the rope to dangle at the center, just not at the start and end points. After looking through the code, I realized three particles were overlapping the start point when trying to attach to overlapping rigid bodies, while only one overlapped the end point, which caused the different attach effect. I solved it by manually attaching the three last particles manually to their destination:

Name:	Unbenannt.PNG
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	1613473

So I got the desired result, but it feels like kind of a workaround.

Comment

Actually, this is not the case. If you look at my blueprint above, you'll see the Print String node (that logged a 0) is placed after the rope was rebuilt.
                          The rebuild is setup at that point, but is fully completed on the next Simulation Sync due to resource handling and thread handling. I will add a note for that node.

This is not a solution, as I do want the rope to dangle at the center, just not at the start and end points. After looking through the code, I realized three particles were overlapping the start point when trying to attach to overlapping rigid bodies, while only one overlapped the end point, which caused the different attach effect. I solved it by manually attaching the three last particles manually to their destination:

Name:	Unbenannt.PNG
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	1613473

So I got the desired result, but it feels like kind of a workaround.
                          Ah! I understand what you meant by dangling. Right, the Attach to overlapping rigids node over compensates to attach particles which may be close enough to intersect with the geometry. Whereas when manually setting up attachment it is up to you to attach the needed particles. I can look into adding a convenience function/node
                          Current Projects:

Comment

Great, thanks! Sorry if my explanations weren't clear.

Comment

Will cloth stay where you put it now? Has the sliding issue been fixed yet?
                              @
                              The rebuild is setup at that point, but is fully completed on the next Simulation Sync due to resource handling and thread handling. I will add a note for that node.

Ah! I understand what you meant by dangling. Right, the Attach to overlapping rigids node over compensates to attach particles which may be close enough to intersect with the geometry. Whereas when manually setting up attachment it is up to you to attach the needed particles. I can look into adding a convenience function/node

Comment

VICOGameStudio
                                Will cloth stay where you put it now? Has the sliding issue been fixed yet?
                                Sorry for the double post, forgot how to tag people in posts for a minute lol

Comment

Working...
                                X