Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VICODynamics: a particle based Soft-Body physics Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A screenshot straight off the Switch! This is with the same settings as above, but with 111 Particles and 359 Constraints with 3 sub-steps and 8 Constraint Iterations per sub-step.
    The stats on the left are:
    Sim - Total simulation time
    Vel - Velocity solver time
    Con - Constraint solver time
    PCol - Particle collision resolution time
    RCol - PhysX Rigid Body collision resolution time

    As you can see, the bottleneck is, unfortunately, the PhysX Scene Query interface...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	2018020205302800-B55776599E26001C0DCAD1B74AA95364.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1422291
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

    Comment


      Would this work with instanced static mesh? I want to be able to do this:
      https://youtu.be/l9NX06mvp2E?t=762
      George Rolfe.
      Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

      Comment


        Originally posted by duke22 View Post
        Would this work with instanced static mesh? I want to be able to do this:
        https://youtu.be/l9NX06mvp2E?t=762
        As far as having the Instanced static meshes attached to the rope? That is a great question! I'll have to test and see if it's as simple as attaching each instance to a socket on a rope or if manual location updating will be required.
        Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
        Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
        Current Projects:
        CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
        VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

        Comment


          No I mean can an instanced static mesh BE a rope? Or does it have to be a skeletal mesh with bones?
          George Rolfe.
          Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

          Comment


            Originally posted by duke22 View Post
            No I mean can an instanced static mesh BE a rope? Or does it have to be a skeletal mesh with bones?
            Oh, I see. Currently, there isn't a way to use instanced meshes as the rope. But I'll certainly look into that!
            The mesh can either be generated, if you are fine with using a cylindrical mesh. Or a skeletal mesh with bones, if you'd like to use a custom mesh
            Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
            Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
            Current Projects:
            CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
            VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

            Comment


              Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post

              Oh, I see. Currently, there isn't a way to use instanced meshes as the rope. But I'll certainly look into that!
              The mesh can either be generated, if you are fine with using a cylindrical mesh. Or a skeletal mesh with bones, if you'd like to use a custom mesh
              Ok great, thanks for the info!
              George Rolfe.
              Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

              Comment


                I WANT THIS..... Emmm. all my money is toke by my wife... so it need some time to got this...

                Comment


                  First few tutorial videos are live, big thank you to Brian Calcote for making these!

                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8ROWTG7EPWnG7i

                  More on the way!
                  Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                  Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                  Current Projects:
                  CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                  VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                  Comment


                    I have a blanket on over a bed, when I click the play button in the editor I want the cloth to drape on the bed but not move, how do I get it too stop moving? It keeps sliding off the bed

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post
                      I have a blanket on over a bed, when I click the play button in the editor I want the cloth to drape on the bed but not move, how do I get it too stop moving? It keeps sliding off the bed
                      Collision stability will be improved, it is probably the second biggest pain to get right. Followed by the actual solver . No thanks to PhysX's API...
                      For now, I'd recommend anchoring a few of the particles once it drapes over the bed to eliminate the sliding. This will be improved soon!
                      Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                      Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                      Current Projects:
                      CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                      VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                      Comment


                        I am looking for something to help me with soft body physics, most notable pushing female breasts out of the way when there is an animation like crossing arms so that I don't have to alter all the animations from male to female character by hand.
                        Can this plugin do this? Or will it be able in the near future?
                        Thanks

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post
                          I am looking for something to help me with soft body physics, most notable pushing female breasts out of the way when there is an animation like crossing arms so that I don't have to alter all the animations from male to female character by hand.
                          Can this plugin do this? Or will it be able in the near future?
                          Thanks
                          I would say near-future for sure! The only thing that is really stopping it from working reliably now is the lack of a precise collision solver for more complex scenarios like this. Volume-preserving soft-bodies are coming in the next feature update, so that part will just work.
                          Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                          Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                          Current Projects:
                          CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                          VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post

                            I would say near-future for sure! The only thing that is really stopping it from working reliably now is the lack of a precise collision solver for more complex scenarios like this. Volume-preserving soft-bodies are coming in the next feature update, so that part will just work.
                            Any ETA on the next update?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post

                              Any ETA on the next update?
                              Not yet, I will have one as soon as the volume-preserving soft body bit is complete because it's the biggest part of the next feature update. I will post an update here as soon as it's ready for showing off
                              Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                              Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                              Current Projects:
                              CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                              VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                              Comment


                                Squeezing bodies instead of preserving would also be nice.
                                I have a posture where my character sits down and kind puts the hand between the knees thus forming a V with the arms. It looks good for a male character but for a female the arms go through the breasts. I played with UE's physics for about a week . At times I was able to make it so that the breasts would be pushed upwards but that also looked weird. And of course most of the time the simulation would not stabilize and the breasts were jerking around like crazy, sometimes ending on the back of the character. I added 4 separate bones to the breasts because I thought I could just squeeze them together in the center of the body but of course it never worked.
                                Maybe something like that could be an option instead of always volume preserving?
                                Anyway, I'm glad to see there is an out of the box solution in the making. I was checking NVidias Flex but I don't want to depend on a third party to make the integration and then I don't really know when or if they update with the next UE version

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X