Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VICODynamics: a particle based Soft-Body physics Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Quick Update:

    Marketplace Hotfix for UE4.15 is live!
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

    Comment


      Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
      Regarding running on the GPU: I did have a branch which ran the velocity and constraint solvers on the GPU using OpenCL, but the overhead of memory bandwidth negated most of the performance gains. And on top of that, neither console runs OpenCL so it would have been a PC only solution. Most importantly though, the bottleneck is not in either of the solvers! It's in the rigid body collision phase... The solvers can handle more than 120k particles at 60fps using the Parallel build of VICODynamics. This PhysX bottleneck is my biggest performance issue. I'm not sure nVidia would give any insight on this issue .

      Regarding varying the number of particles used to simulate a mesh: Most definitely a yes! This will be implemented, most likely in Feature Update 3.

      Happy to hear you enjoy the plugin! Please feel free to post any work you've used the plugin in, I'd love to see it.
      In some special cases you can save quite a bit of performance on collision if you can constrain your particles to move in a single axis. I've tried this on tank tracks and basically use just a single sphere check (on each sub-step before verlet iteration) to know the "boundaries" where particle can be, then on internal verlet iterations I don't need to re-calculate collision as boundary won't change till the next sub-step.
      Youtube Channel

      Comment


        Originally posted by BoredEngineer View Post
        In some special cases you can save quite a bit of performance on collision if you can constrain your particles to move in a single axis. I've tried this on tank tracks and basically use just a single sphere check (on each sub-step before verlet iteration) to know the "boundaries" where particle can be, then on internal verlet iterations I don't need to re-calculate collision as boundary won't change till the next sub-step.
        That is a really interesting approach! I'll have to see how I can apply it best in VICODynamics in some way. Thank you for sharing that!
        Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
        Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
        Current Projects:
        CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
        VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

        Comment


          Hi, could you point me to some "getting started" type documentation/video? Our programmer has the plugin compiled and I can see your components in the editor etc, but I have no idea how to get them hooked to a mesh. I tried to load your sample project linked at https://www.vicogamestudio.com/docum...-documentation but it refers to scripts and such that don't seem to be included in the zip. I'm a noob help

          Comment


            Originally posted by Flesh Forge View Post
            Hi, could you point me to some "getting started" type documentation/video? Our programmer has the plugin compiled and I can see your components in the editor etc, but I have no idea how to get them hooked to a mesh. I tried to load your sample project linked at https://www.vicogamestudio.com/docum...-documentation but it refers to scripts and such that don't seem to be included in the zip. I'm a noob help
            A video for getting started is coming soon, just needs to be wrapped up with the last of the newer features coming in Feature Update 2. I don't have a set ETA though.

            As for the Example Project, I got another report regarding issues with it this week. For comparison, could you post a screenshot of the errors you are seeing? I should have a fixed version uploaded this weekend.
            Lastly, what version of UE4 are you using and VICODynamics which branch are you using?
            Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
            Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
            Current Projects:
            CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
            VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

            Comment




              I am using UE 4.14.3. I got similar errors with both your sample file versions (the zip includes 4.13 and 4.14).

              Comment


                Originally posted by Flesh Forge View Post


                I am using UE 4.14.3. I got similar errors with both your sample file versions (the zip includes 4.13 and 4.14).
                Oh, those errors are because the Engine is not loading the Plugin. What folder is the plugin in? Are you using UE4 from GitHub or the Launcher?
                Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                Current Projects:
                CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                Comment


                  Our programmer provided a UE project file with the plugin compiled in it, so yes it makes sense that your sample scene isn't finding that. Can I merge your sample with that?

                  e: oops yes, he obtained it from GitHub, let me find out exactly which version like you had asked for

                  Our dev is not available for a few hours, I'll get back to you then.
                  Last edited by Flesh Forge; 03-09-2017, 01:44 PM.

                  Comment


                    I copied Plugins\VICODynamicsPlugin from the sample project our dev guy provided to Epic Games\UE_4.14\Engine\Plugins\Runtime, and your demo project file loads without any errors (because the scripts are present where your demo project expects them to be) but when I actually hit play, the VICO components don't simulate. What am I missing?

                    Comment


                      Could you attach the Output log? This occurs when the Physics libraries are not getting loaded. Should be an easy fix, but I'd like to see the log to make sure.
                      Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                      Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                      Current Projects:
                      CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                      VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                      Comment


                        I'm getting the impression I should just use the plugin install from the marketplace rather than tinker with it by hand, I'll do that (also I'll get the log you're asking for).

                        e: we bought it from you directly so we don't have access to the marketplace installer package. If you notice what I'm missing from the log below I'd be happy to hear it, thanks.
                        Last edited by Flesh Forge; 03-11-2017, 06:45 PM.

                        Comment


                          Log file attached
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Flesh Forge View Post
                            I'm getting the impression I should just use the plugin install from the marketplace rather than tinker with it by hand, I'll do that (also I'll get the log you're asking for).

                            e: we bought it from you directly so we don't have access to the marketplace installer package. If you notice what I'm missing from the log below I'd be happy to hear it, thanks.
                            Oh, just drop me an email with your original invoice and I'll set you up with Marketplace access.

                            Did you run in PIE in the session the log is from? It does not look like it, so could you Play-in-Editor and attach that sessions log please? I'd still like to see what exactly the issue is.
                            Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                            Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                            Current Projects:
                            CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                            VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                            Comment


                              Thanks, I asked Warcabbit (project manager) to get in touch with you re: invoice/list of accounts, that would be very nice.

                              I'll get back to you with a play-in-editor log.

                              Comment


                                I'm on it. Note: we're using a compile of the feature update 2 from... Feb 20th, I believe.
                                Last edited by Warcabbit; 03-12-2017, 03:25 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X