Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VICODynamics: a particle based Soft-Body physics Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Feature Update 2 is nearing QA, and I have a new feature to show which I think you'll enjoy:



    All soft-bodies can now transfer tension to any number of rigid bodies! Plus, tension transfer is a lot more stable, as you can see. The only thing you must handle yourself is setting up collision channels such that attached rigids don't collide with the soft-body they are attached to.

    PS: this feature is in the GitHub repo now! Feature-Update-2 branch.

    Also, performance has been improved in the constraint solver by ~20% and in the self-collision broadphase by ~40%!
    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
    Current Projects:
    Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

    Comment


      HI, sorry for asking so many questions.
      I see that it is possible to attach rigid bodies to the system... is it possible to make a soft body that attaches to a skeleton? like this?
      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...highlight=flex

      I have been using flex but it is unstable, Thanks you!

      Comment


        Originally posted by catalejo View Post
        HI, sorry for asking so many questions.
        I see that it is possible to attach rigid bodies to the system... is it possible to make a soft body that attaches to a skeleton? like this?
        https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...highlight=flex

        I have been using flex but it is unstable, Thanks you!
        Oh that is really cool! I'll be honest; I have no idea, but I also don't see why not... Feature wise, the only thing missing is Volume Preservation and that will be added soon. Other than that, it 'should' be doable.
        I'll be giving it a go for sure! Thank you for posting that.
        Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
        Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
        Current Projects:
        Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
        VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

        Comment


          Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
          Definitely! It most likely won't make Feature Update 2 though.

          I'd like to get some input on how you'd like it to work. Since it is mainly UI, how would you all like it to function?
          Sorry, I forgot about replying to this. I guess not terribly much for your first pass, just the basic things like controls for setting collision objects, collision depth and your basic physics parameters for the cloth. Off the top of my head I'm not thinking of anything really necessary just to get started with it.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Flesh Forge View Post
            Sorry, I forgot about replying to this. I guess not terribly much for your first pass, just the basic things like controls for setting collision objects, collision depth and your basic physics parameters for the cloth. Off the top of my head I'm not thinking of anything really necessary just to get started with it.
            The current UI lets you do all of that in the Details panel.
            I'll also be adding additional, more advanced, things to allow for manipulating individual Particles and Constraints manually in the Editor, but that will be a bit of work to set-up.
            Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
            Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
            Current Projects:
            Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
            VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

            Comment


              This is one of the coolest ways I've seen VICO Dynamics used so far: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ionettes-in-VR

              Put together by Daniel Beauchamp, he not only put together an awesome in-depth post about it here: https://medium.com/shopify-vr/marion...r-6b596620c3ca
              But he also released the source on GitHub! Check out the thread link for details.

              If you released any footage of your project with VICO Dynamics, let me know! I'd love to see it!

              Big thank you to you, Daniel, for letting me know about your Marionette project!
              Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
              Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
              Current Projects:
              Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
              VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

              Comment


                Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
                This is one of the coolest ways I've seen VICO Dynamics used so far: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ionettes-in-VR

                Put together by Daniel Beauchamp, he not only put together an awesome in-depth post about it here: https://medium.com/shopify-vr/marion...r-6b596620c3ca
                But he also released the source on GitHub! Check out the thread link for details.

                If you released any footage of your project with VICO Dynamics, let me know! I'd love to see it!

                Big thank you to you, Daniel, for letting me know about your Marionette project!
                Glad you like it, and thanks so much creating this plugin! I was surprised at how well it worked out of the box. I'll be sure to let you know when my next project is done with it

                Comment


                  Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
                  The current UI lets you do all of that in the Details panel.
                  I'll also be adding additional, more advanced, things to allow for manipulating individual Particles and Constraints manually in the Editor, but that will be a bit of work to set-up.
                  Thanks, appreciate it!

                  Comment


                    I will show some videos as well, when my graduation project is finished. I will be using your plugin a lot for it.
                    My Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/somethingunreal

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by SmthAwful View Post
                      I will show some videos as well, when my graduation project is finished. I will be using your plugin a lot for it.
                      Sweet, looking forward to it!
                      Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                      Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                      Current Projects:
                      Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
                      VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                      Comment


                        Quick update:

                        Feature Update is nearing QA completion! Will be ready for release once the Sample and Showcase projects are complete as well as the new Overview video and Getting Started video is done.

                        UE4.15 was released today and going through the release notes I don't see a reason for the current plugin version to not work. I'll be testing everything shortly to make sure.

                        Big thank you to the licensees with GitHub access for helping during QA!
                        Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                        Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                        Current Projects:
                        Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
                        VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                        Comment


                          Quick update:

                          Plugin has been updated to 4.15. Just a small header edit was needed, GitHub branches have been updated already (master and Feature-Update-2 branches) and the Marketplace hotfix should be live this week.
                          Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                          Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                          Current Projects:
                          Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
                          VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                          Comment


                            Finally got This, very nice... any plans on running on GPU? or a way to manage the particles when used on a high poly mesh? you should look at flex and see how they gave options to have more or less particles and how they are arranged. Great plugin though

                            Thank you!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by catalejo View Post
                              Finally got This, very nice... any plans on running on GPU? or a way to manage the particles when used on a high poly mesh? you should look at flex and see how they gave options to have more or less particles and how they are arranged. Great plugin though

                              Thank you!
                              Regarding running on the GPU: I did have a branch which ran the velocity and constraint solvers on the GPU using OpenCL, but the overhead of memory bandwidth negated most of the performance gains. And on top of that, neither console runs OpenCL so it would have been a PC only solution. Most importantly though, the bottleneck is not in either of the solvers! It's in the rigid body collision phase... The solvers can handle more than 120k particles at 60fps using the Parallel build of VICODynamics. This PhysX bottleneck is my biggest performance issue. I'm not sure nVidia would give any insight on this issue .

                              Regarding varying the number of particles used to simulate a mesh: Most definitely a yes! This will be implemented, most likely in Feature Update 3.

                              Happy to hear you enjoy the plugin! Please feel free to post any work you've used the plugin in, I'd love to see it.
                              Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                              Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                              Current Projects:
                              Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
                              VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                              Comment


                                Quick Update:

                                Marketplace Hotfix for UE4.15 is live!
                                Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                                Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                                Current Projects:
                                Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) - https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/
                                VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X