360 Panoramic Export Pipeline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackRang666 View Post
    @3dlight This is a known issue. Do you have a solution, suggestion? I don't think it is possible to do 3d on a 360 video because there is no way to predict what direction the user will be facing at any time. Unless, you are saying to use a ring of captures around a central point and switch between which pairs are shown to the eyes?
    It actually is possible to do stereo panoramas correctly. Blender has implemented it in Cycles. http://code.blender.org/2015/03/1451/ They basically rotate the camera pair for every pixel you render. It is described in this paper from Paul Bourke in more detail. The only downside is that I think you can't do this with good performace on a current GPU (which isn't optimized for rendering one pixel frames). But maybe there is a clever trick for doing it with a hardware rasterizer.

I suspect that even these 360° panoramas are only an approximation since the name BoxReflectionCapture implies that there are actually taken 6 images which are then warped accordingly. But I haven't confirmed this in the source.

Comment

You can get a decent stereo-pano output using a combination of (lots of) cube captures, sliced spheres and a hell of UV work.
      We got some nice results, but the workflow is kinda heavy on a 980... anyway, just check the link and have a look.
      We're planning to rewrite the whole thing from the ground-up as a real plugin, since in its current shape it's not even by far prime-time ready!
      (Of course, the stereoscpic effect works 360, but horizontally only since the virtual camera rig is parallel to the ground.)

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post378625
      --- www.RTView.it --- RTView Facebook page ---

Comment

I've been doing a lot of playing, and testing with this Plugin over the last little while. One of the tests I did was made public on YouTube, as it fit within the time frame that didn't crash in the Google metadata fix. One project I tried this with was 6.5 minutes long. The metadata fix would not work with it. But the one below, at 2.5 minutes or so, worked fine.

My biggest problem was that lightmaps do not work well with this plugin. I needed to make every object that was close by, movable to get around this problem.

Comment

great plugin.
          i have one problem though.
          when i render out a panorama, i get seams in each eye.
          i believe these seams are eye cube textures, although i'm not sure.

any nudge or push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

this is an image of the seams from a stereoscopic mp4 made in After Effects from the Left & Right HDR files.
          http://postimg.org/image/6zlmjoqr1/

Comment

Originally posted by polemos View Post
            yes I have both sets of images but how do I make a stereoscopic video file out of them in after effects say for the gear vr?
            Need another software to make these images into video

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRang666 View Post
              @3dlight This is a known issue. Do you have a solution, suggestion? I don't think it is possible to do 3d on a 360 video because there is no way to predict what direction the user will be facing at any time. Unless, you are saying to use a ring of captures around a central point and switch between which pairs are shown to the eyes?

@EVRTOP I would guess the issue is that post process is done in post, after reflection capture is done. It won't work with this method.
              How to solve it

Comment

HI! I get beautiful 4k 360 frames from your plugin. Then i import left eye in After effect and i create a mp4 using custom h.264 with bitrate to 240 and key frame set to 1.
                Then i start to have a nive HQ 360 videos. But very heavy. So Kolor eyes have problems to play this guys and also when i try to upload in youtube... are so compressed and the result is not so good.
                Have you some idea to create a 360 video not so heavy and with higt resolution? Maybe h.264 have to reduce the resolution?
                Another cuestion. Once i've rendered 2 eyes y create a stereoscopic 360 video with ffmpeg but the result is impossible to visualize with kolor eyes. Maybe too heavy because the h.264 is too high def? Someone can suggest me some other software to create a stereoscopic video? Thank a lot.

giovanni
                nodesign@hotmail.com

Comment

sorry i forget to link my youtube video
                  just to understand the problem
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmIccAu6iJ4

Comment

better this
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7shumWcZGg

Comment

Awesome job!!

How do you make it work without having your engine built from source code (blueprint only)?
                      I would really appreciate your support.

Comment

Can someone explain to me how to turn the left and right eye HDRs into a stereoscopic video file using Adobe After Effects, please? And what to do to put it on Youtube as 360 stereoscopic video?

Monoscopic is working for me, but I'm struggling with the stereoscopic workflow.

p.s.: moderators, sorry for the double-post, I just realized I posted to the wrong thread before
                        VR Shooter Guns - Arcade Shooter for Vive
                        Unreal Meetup Franken - Unreal Engine 4 Meetup
                        Hands for VR: Basic - For Vive and Oculus [Marketplace]
                        Hands for VR: SciFi - For HTC Vive and Oculus Touch [Marketplace]

Comment

Hello,

I'm having a crash with this plugin in UE 4.9.1, and maybe anyone has experienced the same here. It's happening in the moment of rendering, when I execute the bat file and it doesn't renders 1 frame. When I play the game in editor it works and begins rendering at a random/performance-dependent framerate(here is the problem when you need to output video).

Néstor Viña León
                          VR Engineering Wizard
                          Futurelighthouse.com
                          mail: nestor@futurelighthouse.com
                          twitter: @nesvi7

Comment

Hello Allar and thank you again for you plug-ins.
                            I have an issue with my project, I don't understand whey there is difference between my ingame mode and the image from your plugin.
                            tks for your help!
                            Last edited by zahir3d; 11-12-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I dont understand why the stereoscopicrender is not affected by the post process exposure controle...

Comment

did you solve that? im having this problem too...

Comment

Working...
                                X