No announcement yet.

Neo Kinect - easy access to the Kinect v2 capabilities in your games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. I just purchased the plugin and downloaded all of the necessary components. Please forgive my ignorance, as I am fairly new to unreal engine. The only reason I'm using Unreal is for Kinect purposes. I have already studied the basics of unreal engine, but I'm not really sure what's happening in your examples project. Would you happen to have any tutorial videos on starting from the beginning? Coming over from Touchdesigner, I was able to download project files and everything would work right out of the box with Kinect and I would just reverse engineer it.

I have absolutely no idea what's happening with this plugin though. The quickstart guide didn't make much sense to me at all, as I need to see things in action to learn. I was using the k4U plugin for a bit but that was only because there were tutorials on Lynda.com. I bailed on that plugin because there was zero support. I'd be willing to donate or pay for a short and sweet demo video as to how to at least get started with neo kinect. Or if you can point me to any other tutorial on unreal engine that might help me better understand your plugin blue prints and how to use them, I would be greatly appreciative.

Comment

Hi RVillani!
      I'm going to buy this. Before I buy, I have a few questions.

1. I understand that the K4U plug-in distributed by Opaque Media is only recognizable by the Skeletal mesh made from the Unreal standard Bone, is that the same with your plug-in?
      2. is packaging your plug in possible?

Thank u

Comment

I bought this plugin from the marketplace, its great, well done.

I am wondering if there is any way to get the depth information as a colour ramp instead of grayscale ramp.

Thank you.

Comment

**** this forum notification system! It stops working every once in a while. I'm so sorry, everyone! I'll answer each of you and hope it's not too late.

Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
          Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

Comment

Originally posted by Lumatribe View Post
            Hello. I just purchased the plugin and downloaded all of the necessary components. ...
            I guess you're only lacking a bit of Blueprint knowledge. I'd highly suggest the introduction to Blueprints playlist. It's outdated in some terms, but still full of minimum required knowledge. The example contents are exactly for you to reverse engineer them and learn in practice how the plugin works. Since most people that buy code plugins already understand the basics of Blueprints, I didn't make any videos. If you wish to pay for personal consultation, I guess I could bring you up to speed on some things in about an hour. PM me here or add me on Skype if you're interested in doing so. My nick is r_skull

Comment

Originally posted by MongusC View Post
              1. I understand that the K4U plug-in distributed by Opaque Media is only recognizable by the Skeletal mesh made from the Unreal standard Bone, is that the same with your plug-in?
              2. is packaging your plug in possible?
              1. My plugin works out of the box with the Mannequin skeleton because it's a requirement of the Marketplace that anything rig related must work with that skeleton. That said, the plugin is not bound in any way to that skeleton only. It just outputs transforms that match those of the Mannequin bones. But I've used it myself in projects with just a head and arms (completely different bone hierarchy).If you know how to rotate vectors you could even create an AnimBP to control a different set of bones altogether. Not even the names of the bones matter. If you buy it, you'll see in the example content project that an AnimBP was created there to demonstrate the avateering functionality, but that AnimBP and its Blueprint counterpart are only using plugin features. They depend on the plugin, the plugin doesn't depend on the skeleton. I hope I made myself clear (I tend to over-explain things).

2. That's a big YES! It's the original reason why I made my own plugin to start with. You just need to remember to copy some Kinect runtime files after packaging, but it's all explained in the Quick Start guide pdf.

Comment

Originally posted by DARA059 View Post
                I am wondering if there is any way to get the depth information as a colour ramp instead of grayscale ramp.
                Thanks a lot for your purchase!
                The variations of depth map offered by the plugin are all in black and white because, not only that's the fastest way to process that information (as it's done on CPU) but that's also the most logical one, because it's just a single value (no need to spend memory on 3 color channels).

On the other hand, you can read that and convert it into your own color gradient really easily inside a material directly! And that's got performance, because it's all done in the GPU.
                1. Create a Curve asset (right click content browser > Miscellaneous > Curve) and select the CurveLinearColor type. Add the desired colors to create your gradient. Left will be near camera colors and right will be far.
                2. Create a new Curve Atlas asset (right click content browser > Miscellaneous > Curve Atlas). Add your color curve to it.
                3. In your material, add a CurveAtlasRowParameter node, and configure it with your atlas and the curve.
                4. Pass the depth map value into the CurveAtlasRowParameter's CurveTime input pin and use this CurveAtlas node as the Base Color or Emissive Color output of your material.
                For this, I suggest using the Normalized Depth frame type, because it already converts all the depth values into a [0..1] range.

Comment

Great, that is really helpful. Thanks a lot.

Comment

RVillani I'm using Neo Kinect in a project now but I'm finding that the color channel is really blown out and bright. Is there any way to control the camera settings with Neo Kinect?

Comment

Could you please tell me how to identify the front side or the back side of a person? I will use the face recognition function in your plug-in to make a judgment and find that they are all positive

Comment

Originally posted by JHooker View Post
                        RVillani I'm using Neo Kinect in a project now but I'm finding that the color channel is really blown out and bright. Is there any way to control the camera settings with Neo Kinect?
                        I solved it with JHooker personally, but for the community: no. Unfortunately it's not part of the API to control the Kinect's camera settings.

Comment

Hi! I recently purchased the Neo Kinect plugin for an Avateering style project, and I've got to say that so far I am very impressed!

I am wondering if anybody else has run into this problem... I am trying to use my own model in the Avateering demo, and the upper body and arms seem to track great, but the legs, though tracking with the kinect are pointing in the wrong directions. I've split apart the rotation transform, as illustrated in the uploading image, and flipping the signs of the angles helps a bit, but it's still not right.

Has anyone else ran into this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by C9Uie49z04Km View Post
                            Hi! I recently purchased the Neo Kinect plugin for an Avateering style project, and I've got to say that so far I am very impressed!

I am wondering if anybody else has run into this problem... I am trying to use my own model in the Avateering demo, and the upper body and arms seem to track great, but the legs, though tracking with the kinect are pointing in the wrong directions. I've split apart the rotation transform, as illustrated in the uploading image, and flipping the signs of the angles helps a bit, but it's still not right.

Has anyone else ran into this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The bones in your skeleton should have axis pointing in the same direction as the ones in the Mannequin skeleton. If they don't, you can try shuffling the axis in the rotation, but many times that won't give correct results.
                            You can check the axes orientations by selecting bones in the skeleton. See my attached images.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Are you going to support azure kinect?

Comment

Originally posted by Invius View Post
                                Are you going to support azure kinect?
                                I don't plan on doing so for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X