X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try add invoker component to player

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroVector View Post
      I have just imported a height map and that was fine, but when I run the game the player falls thru the terrain.. Is there something I am missing?
      You need a voxel invoker Component attached to your Player BP.

Comment

Thanks you that helped..

Comment

That's all working great now and got my height map in the engine.. My map is very big and its handling it well.. Just one more thing.. I just a bit lost in how to learn how to use this plugin.

I downloaded the MarchingCubes Example project which was 900mb.. Could not download the With Open World Demo Collection Assets (7.6 GB) it was a dead link.. I have taken a look at the VoxelMaterialExample cause I want to have different textures on my landscape, its actually islands.. But its very complex and alot going on to understand it..

So I want sand at the lowest level then on to earth/grass as the land goes higher, maybe on angles for cliffs textures.. Is this possible? I think I read some where someone was doing this and only showed screenshots..

Could some one help with this.. Just think this forum is the first place newbies will look.. We covered adding the Voxel Invoker so people can walk around.. Maybe this example will really get people going.. Landscape with texture.. After that people can start to get into the more complex stuff after haven this kick start to the plug...

Comment

I've added a World Generator graph editor:

This graph creates the following world:

The graph system is quite performant (less than 2x slower than C++), so it's well suited for development.

To improve performance even more, I've also added an automatic Graph -> C++ conversion.
            For instance, this is the file generated from the graph above: https://pastebin.com/6rQ9dPPC

This means that I now have a Graph Editor that generates optimized C++ code
            Discord: https://discord.gg/58ZqEbg

Comment

Originally posted by Phyronnaz View Post
              I've added a World Generator graph editor:

This graph creates the following world:

The graph system is quite performant (less than 2x slower than C++), so it's well suited for development.

To improve performance even more, I've also added an automatic Graph -> C++ conversion.
              For instance, this is the file generated from the graph above: https://pastebin.com/6rQ9dPPC

This means that I now have a Graph Editor that generates optimized C++ code
              This is awesome!

Comment

Yeesh, that graph pic makes me tingle inappropriately =P

Comment

Hey folks!
                  Just set up the plugin to test it with a first person controller.
                  I attached the voxel invoker Component to the FP BP, but when I run the game I only see the generated terrain.
                  Do I have to setup something else in order to interact with the environment?

Thanks!

Edit: Got the answer via Discord, thanks
                  Last edited by dasschlumpf; 12-27-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

This really sparks the imagination!
                    Outstanding and inspiring work.

If you need any help with documentation or other 'busy work' let me know.

Comment

Why does it require Visual Studio 2017 ? It is still full of bugs compared to Visual Studio 2015. It is far from reliable for C++ development as reported everywhere on the 'net.

Comment

I have just started to look for some voxel c++ code to help me, or to use in an Unreal Engine 4 project I am undertaking and save time writing the code myself, and this looks by the videos to be what I am looking for as far as terrain is concerned. However, it looks to be once again that I have come across code that has pretty much zero documentation or guidance available to help to use it or even understand how to use it. The only thing to go by is a line saying to get stated one needs to add a VoxelWorld actor to their Scene. Well I did that to only find my character falls through it, and only it.

Fortunately I thought, I found a basic level in the downloaded file called NavMesDemo that works where the character does not fall through the VoxelWorld actor. Short story, after a few hours trying to figure out what basic thing I was missing and how to get things to work in my project, the best thing to do is to come here and suggest that a basic tutorial on how to set up and use this plugin be created. The demos show good promise that this is a decent plugin to use in ones projects and even contribute to. But as with too many other projects like this that I come across, documentation is lacking and making it much harder to than it should be to use. So I will be moving on to look at something that has decent documentation if not tutorials, even if it is not as good as this. I have had too many experiences in the past of wasted time trying to understand how to implement undocumented code.

I will repeat the suggestion, if one wishes for uptake of this work, create a series of tutorials of how to use this plugin. If they are to be videos, have voice included as it is more painful to watch a video and understand it without voice than it is to read text.

All the best with this.
                        Regards.

Comment

I remember the very begining were easy to follow up the development of this, but after some time I got lost too, but I didn't get hard on top of it to figure what was missing. Your suggestion is welcome and I hope Phyronnaz will check this and improve it. It is in the released section but atm it is wip as they are changing things.
                          Nilson Lima
                          Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                          Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                          supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

I'm trying to get this installed on 4.19 preview and upon generating my project files I'm receiving the following error:

Code:
                            ERROR: c:\Users\ULLS\Documents\Unreal Projects\VoxelTest\Plugins\Voxel\Source\Voxel\Voxel.Build.cs(17,51) :
                            error CS0122: 'UnrealBuildTool.BuildConfiguration' is inaccessible due to its protection level
                            ERROR: UnrealBuildTool Exception: Unable to compile source files.
                            Any one have any ideas?
                            [FREE] Procedural Bridge Blueprint, [FREE] Spline Enabled Ivy BP

Comment

Here's what I've been doing this last month:

1) Improved the graph editor. The graph editor allows to generate worlds easily and with no code at all, without sacrificing performance as you can convert a graph to C++. I've switched to a more blueprint-like flow:

This allows for branches, and enable more optimizations. I've also added reroute nodes.

I've added recursive world generators: this allows to sample a world generator from another. This is a really powerful tool, as you can do for instance the following

with this graph:

(original asset was made by HeadClot in MagicaVox)

And modifying the graph a bit like that:

leads to structures like those:

And with some more tweaking:

2) Added custom actors spawning. They work in a similar way as the grass, as they're only spawned on near chunks. However, unlike the grass, they're not destroyed when the player goes far from them, but only disabled using an optimized octree structure:

When spawned, their physics is disabled. However, digging under them makes them fall:

This is handled in a very generic way, allowing for easy customization, as I've added blueprints delegate for every step (like enabling physics).

The actors to spawn are chosen from the graph editor:

3) I've improved multithreading to allow for more concurrency. This means that performance is really great now, even with many edits at the same time. Here's a demo showing that, with more than 20 (big) edits per second: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qm...ZxAfeIKlt22_ro (150MB, demo is configured for an 8 core processor: if you're dropping below 120FPS, please check that you have at least 8 logical threads. Left Ctrl to add).

The demo is really cool, you should try it , here's a quick preview:

4) I've ported the Koderz UE custom build with texture arrays to 4.18: https://github.com/Phyronnaz/UnrealE...-TextureArrays
                              As building from source isn't so much fun, I've built a binary release of it (which means it's the same thing as the version from the launcher): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gx...8qLAC66Tg9jpd_ (3.4 GB).

Texture arrays means unlimited texture painting at a really low cost:

I've also made a picker UI:

Both the UI and the texture array are created automatically from textures in a folder: you just have to set the texture suffixes:

4) I'm currently working on improving the LOD system. I'm going to add a setting to choose the preferred LOD system: no LOD but better resolution, LOD with higher view distance but lower resolution, etc

Here's a quick test:

Radius is 1km, and there are no LOD. This runs at 120fps on a GTX 970/Intel 4790k (slower on the screenshots because ejected from PIE)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This project went way further than expected. This is why I'm going to change it's pricing: I'm going to release a paid version, while keeping the open source one too.

The paid version will have more features, like multiplayer, importers (from heightmaps, meshes, 3DCoat, MagicaVox..), graph editor, actors spawning, ...
                              The free version (the one on github) will still be updated, however it will only have the basic voxel system: you'll still be able to generate custom worlds through C++, and to edit in real time the world, but none of the fancy features listed above

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuestForge Still waiting for you on the discord

DarkS474 VS 2017 won't be required in the next release

IDominioNI Thanks for the feedback, indeed docs are really important. However until now everything was changing at a fast pace, so doing docs on an already outdated system would have been losing my time. I surely hope this experience didn't make you leave this plugin forever . Btw, the best way to get fast support is to join the Discord, which is quite active.

ULLS This should be fixed in the next release

Thank you all for the support, hopefully this plugin will soon be in a more stable state and ready for the release

Some pictures of infinite noise, created in a few minutes with the graph editor :

Discord: https://discord.gg/58ZqEbg

Comment

Originally posted by Phyronnaz View Post
                                This project went way further than expected. This is why I'm going to change it's pricing: I'm going to release a paid version, while keeping the open source one too.

The paid version will have more features, like multiplayer, importers (from heightmaps, meshes, 3DCoat, MagicaVox..), graph editor, actors spawning, ...
                                The free version (the one on github) will still be updated, however it will only have the basic voxel system: you'll still be able to generate custom worlds through C++, and to edit in real time the world, but none of the fancy features listed above
                                Will the paid version have the source available as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X