No announcement yet.

[Plugin] Http/s REST, blueprintable JSON query and Parse API manager [VaRest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Plugin] Http/s REST, blueprintable JSON query and Parse API manager [VaRest]

I'm glad to announce that VaRest release candidate is officially out! Today plugin is ready for use, so I've decided to make a thread in "Released projects".

VaRest is the plugin for Unreal Engine 4 that makes REST server communications simple to use with full Json query support.

Current version: 1.1 RC 8

Key Features:
    • Flexible Http/Https request management with support of different Verbs and Content Types
    • No C++ coding required, everything can be managed via blueprints
    • Blueprintable Json wrapper with almost full support of Json features: different types of values, arrays, both ways serializarion to FString, etc.
    • Blueprintable FJsonValue wrapper - full Json features made for blueprints!
    • Parse REST API manager to start working with Parse out of the box!

Moreover, plugin is completely free and available under MIT open-source license. You can use it in commercial projects, you can modify anything, etc. In other words, you're in charge.

Check the Wiki for plugin usage examples and installation notes.

I'll be thankfull for plugin testing, feedback and new ideas how to improve the plugin!
    Last edited by ufna; 08-03-2015, 04:54 AM.
    Developer. Bass player. Cats owner. Unreal Engine addicted. Check my.alyamkin.com
    [Plugin] VaRest - REST API with blueprintable JSON plugin
    [Plugin] VaTexAltas - simple way to use texture atlases for UMG

AWESOME WORK! Inspired me to research more into the concept of REST. I sincerely appreciate your contribution.
    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

Comment

Great Work! I appreciate your contribution ^^

Comment

Can't save my map after I add a blueprint using JSON. I clear out the reference to the object whenever it's used but I still get the following error:

Code:
        Can't save B:/Workspaces/Unreal 4/FirstPlayground/Content/Maps/Example_Map.umap: Graph is linked to object(s) in external map.
        External Object(s):
        VaRestRequestJSON_27
        /Engine/Transient

Try to find the chain of references to that object (may take some time)?
        Constructor
        Click image for larger version

Name:	oyIctEP.png
Views:	1
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1053280

Events

Name:	C1XoamF.png
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	1053281

Let me know if you need more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Veovis Muad'dib View Post
          Can't save my map after I add a blueprint using JSON. I clear out the reference to the object whenever it's used but I still get the following error:
          You shouldn't create requests in constructor. Just do the same logic in BeginPlay and it should be okay.

Btw I'll take a look how I can improve it.
          Developer. Bass player. Cats owner. Unreal Engine addicted. Check my.alyamkin.com

Comment

That solved it, thanks. I was going to have to move it to a function sooner or later anyway.

If you don't mind do you know the technical reason why?

Comment

Originally posted by Veovis Muad'dib View Post
              That solved it, thanks. I was going to have to move it to a function sooner or later anyway.

If you don't mind do you know the technical reason why?
              Just a quote:

Originally posted by joeGraf View Post
              It's safe to gameplay relevant code in BeginPlay. Constructor/PostInitializeProperties might be called when there is no world and are called on the default object. You definitely do not want to be spawning things that the CDO owns (Class Default Object), since the CDO exists outside of any world.
              If you've created something in constructor, engine tries to save it, but fails because of new constucted request is transient.

Comment

Awesome. This should be super useful in the future when I get to deal with stats & server browsing!
                Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Comment

Originally posted by ufna View Post
                  If you've created something in constructor, engine tries to save it, but fails because of new constucted request is transient.
                  Thanks, that makes perfect sense. The thread the quote came from is also quite useful.

Comment

I hope to see someone leverage this to do non-game stuff with UE4, even. My mind immediately goes to mapping or weather apps that serve REST data. Cmon - Someone make me an Unreal Engine weather clock app with tons of rad effects
                    UE4 Development [VR & AR Forums | VR Docs | ARKit Guide | ARCore Guide]
                    Make and Maintain Framerate [ Robo Recall Postmortem]
                    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Complex terrain and mapping data with an overlaid real time weather simulation, allowing users to fly around and zoom in and out at will to better visualize incoming storms?

I want to see this.

Comment

Hey guys, I tried to add this to my 4.4 project and it wouldn't launch, it just said it needed to be recompiled. So I did it, but then it said it was unable to recompile, then said something about it being incompatible with my version. Now I can't turn off the plugin because I can't launch the editor and I'm afraid I may have lost my work. Any thoughts?
                        Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
                        - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Therriault View Post
                          Hey guys, I tried to add this to my 4.4 project and it wouldn't launch, it just said it needed to be recompiled. So I did it, but then it said it was unable to recompile, then said something about it being incompatible with my version. Now I can't turn off the plugin because I can't launch the editor and I'm afraid I may have lost my work. Any thoughts?
                          Just remove plugin files manually (from Plugins) folder.

Comment

Originally posted by ufna View Post
                            Just remove plugin files manually (from Plugins) folder.
                            Thank you for responding! That was my second plan of action, but it results in this when I try to launch the project:

Name:	Untitled-1.png
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1053522
                            - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Comment

Nevermind, I figured out how to disable the plugin: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...of-editor.html

Very much looking forward to the 4.4 binary!

Comment

Working...
                              X