Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE4 Community is... .... not really the best.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aherys_ View Post
    I really try to show the bad side of Unreal Community, i mean, is a wonderfull game engine, with wonderfull tools,
    there is some really nice tutorial, guide, blog post to do some amazing thing, but answer questions is really not our strong point.

And the only goal to point this, is to try to found solution, or have a little talk about it.
    I get your point, it can be very frustrating if you are overwhelmed by a steep learning curve, and even supposedly simple tasks fail when you start out. When I post a question I only very rarely get an answer. However, I decided it is more likely that people either do not know an answer, or have not the luxury of time to answer. And if someone new starts out, some questions have been answered already, multiple times.

So while you can claim it is a 'bad community', it could also mean there is nobody around at the time to answer your question. Perhaps there are 50 posts on an average day, and perhaps you can say something valuable in 30 percent, but this means you direct your attention and time to following the current forum stream.

Also responding to a question can be a unsatisfying experience. So the bottom line is, there are actually not super many experienced devs online - with the time to give support at any given time, and basically, learning Unreal is a grind.

Usually you have to get to the ground of things for yourself. So don't take it personal if your posts stays unanswered. Reflecting in a post helps you a lot, by just writing down the issue it becomes more clear.

[LEGENDS of EPICA][Twitter][FB][YT][Vimeo]

Comment

In my case, I visit the forums when I have a break.
      I do so expecting to find interesting topics... When I know a question can be solved with some simple Google search I won't even click the topic.

Now imagine dealing with things nobody in a forum can answer, have to buy expensive books and "research" for yourself, for weeks until MAYBE you reach a result. That's what a normal day is to me, I can't blame the internet.
      | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

I agree with topicstarter. Soo many questions are unanswered. Honestly, UE4 community is one of the worst ever. While UE4 is absolutely fantastic and outstanding, best game engine ever.

Comment

You have to understand that we cannot answer the same question over and over again for years.

When you ask a question on the internet and nobody answers there are only two possibilities: it is very rare or it is very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo1444 View Post
            I agree with topicstarter. Soo many questions are unanswered. Honestly, UE4 community is one of the worst ever. While UE4 is absolutely fantastic and outstanding, best game engine ever.
            Epic abandoned the forums in 2017 (serious nail in the coffin)... And now Epic's focus is mostly Enterprise (UE5 demo )... But there's free projects every month on the Marketplace and in Community-Tools that will help. But you'll have to do the hard work yourself.... Once UE5 launches things should pick up...

Comment

Originally posted by unit23 View Post

I get your point, it can be very frustrating if you are overwhelmed by a steep learning curve, and even supposedly simple tasks fail when you start out. When I post a question I only very rarely get an answer. However, I decided it is more likely that people either do not know an answer, or have not the luxury of time to answer. And if someone new starts out, some questions have been answered already, multiple times.

So while you can claim it is a 'bad community', it could also mean there is nobody around at the time to answer your question. Perhaps there are 50 posts on an average day, and perhaps you can say something valuable in 30 percent, but this means you direct your attention and time to following the current forum stream.

Also responding to a question can be a unsatisfying experience. So the bottom line is, there are actually not super many experienced devs online - with the time to give support at any given time, and basically, learning Unreal is a grind.

Usually you have to get to the ground of things for yourself. So don't take it personal if your posts stays unanswered. Reflecting in a post helps you a lot, by just writing down the issue it becomes more clear.
              Since i start this topic, i don't stop try to debate about me and me feeling and it's not what i want,

I will try to be clear, for the last time, it's obviously not your fault but my bad english who restrict me to some "easy" concept. Yes, when i said bad, it's... may be a bit strong, i just don't found the right translation.

One more time, i'm not the most experienced dev in the world but i'm far from beginner, i have a Master Degree, i use C since 11 years, but i start Game Engine with Unity.

I have, like every unreal beginner some troubl, but it's okay, and like you said, it's a grind.
              sometime i ask on the board, sometime i found by myself, sometime i get help from coworkers,
              sometime i finish to found a answer on a very old topic, with 0 keyword related, and sometime, i found topic with people who get answer.

Obviously, i'm not talking about question on the board with people who didn't try to search before, even one hour.
              My reflection come from mostly cause sometime, a lot of time to be honest, when i got an issue and i found an answer on the board, the guy found the solution by itself and write it...

The best case, is someone who found the solution and write it... 2 month after he drop the ask. And it's a common thing on this board.
              Thanks a lot to thoses guys, who take the time to wrote the answer, the fact is sometime, this is only answer i was able to found over multiple hours of search / try, and that save me a lot of time, but everytime i see this, i'm like : wait... no one ever face this issue ?

For some specific issue i can understand, but for others... i'm doubtful.
              But, a LOT of you guys, saying to me exactly the same thing, and in my mind, when a lot of people agree on one point, they are most of the time right.

Then, i'm probably wrong, and i'm sorry if this is the case, the point is really not to blame someone, but try to move the thing in the right way, if they need to be moved.

My feeling come from the unity switch to unreal.
              I found Unity community more responsive, more helpfull than us, and as someone pointed out on this thread : they have the number and this is right, but can we do more ? should we do more ?

And when i read some people, inclued on this thread (but not you), i've got the feeling they are elitist and hide behind "Easy question, alread answered, search google".
              And this is for me, the worst kind of behavior you can have on a community just before troll, cause they block the progression.

If i'm right, then we should do all the possible to avoid this behavior.
              If i'm wrong, and we just don't have the number, then forget what i said, maybe i simply don't realize or have a wrong vision, and one more time, i'm sorry if this is the case, or i offended some people that not the goal, at all.

Last edited by Aherys_; 05-17-2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I totally agree with the thread starter. Unreal engine community is non existent.
                You could come up with a problem and ask it in the forums, discord, reddit and nobody will reply.
                I have come across problems which have been asked earlier in this forum a long time back and dont have even a single reply.
                This is disheartening and gives me a mild panic attack, this problem could not be solved for such a long time , how am I going to solve it working alone.

Whatever people say about us being lazy, the fact is the unreal community experience is very different from unity experience for me.
                In unity most of my problems have already been asked and solved. Unity's community is mind mindbogglingly huge.
                But I have to say Unreal Engine is a much better and complete and more professionally made engine which is why I am working with it.
                But indie devs and solo developers should remember : WITH UNREAL ENGINE YOU ARE GOING ALONE if you stray from the normal path

Here is a question I posted a while ago which has only 16 views
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...-on-this-forum
                Last edited by asdzxcv; 05-17-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback,

So i'm not alone to have this feeling, and the reason you invoke Ming Ning, asdzxcv seem legit and logic.
                  Some people here said it will change with UE5. Let's have some hope, and see.

I personaly think UE, and epic, have all to win to help indie as unity did.

Comment

I agree with OP too. Community is a big vacuum. It was a shock to me at first but now I just avoid relying on the unreliable. Like a bad friend you eventually stop communicating. A real disappointing shame that I’m sure Epic regret bit what can they do?

Comment

Originally posted by subspark View Post
                      I agree with OP too. Community is a big vacuum. It was a shock to me at first but now I just avoid relying on the unreliable. Like a bad friend you eventually stop communicating. A real disappointing shame that I’m sure Epic regret bit what can they do?
                      I doubt Epic regret anything. Indifference to feedback like this or this proves it. Plus Glass Door confirms a switch to a more corporate atmosphere. But hey, whose paying the bills, its mostly the Enterprise crowd not Indies, so that's where their focus is now really.

Fortnite most likely minted more than a few millionaires at Epic too. So that's going to change things from the fun place it was. What is the firm worth now anyway, upwards of 30+ billion???
                      Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 05-18-2020, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Some good points. Sometimes multibillion dollar things are born out of a couple of folks in a garage too. But regardless of how, why, when, best just to move on and self teach through experimentation. Earning that knowledge for yourself makes success sweeter if that is your goal as an artist/developer/filmmaker/etc.

Comment

I see lots of questions answered, but it doesn't mean I know they're the correct answer, or the best. I've posted and had no answer, more than once or twice. The problem with the so-called 'logic' or whatever that it's already been answered is the different versions have changes that change what the solution or answer is going to be later...even for simple things. It can also make a new user disparaged if they're unsure where/how to search for it, and when encountering lots of those problems to search for answers to...spending hours guiding themselves around a disorganized set of two message boards that prioritize more complex or 'experience-based' problems over others. This is partly a direct result of low-quality documentation. It's other things too, though...difficult to control flow of information and ease of access in a forum setting, multiple causes of the same problem (such as meshes turning black, and 'noise'), experienced users who are quick to criticize or deflect attention from new users in a forum, and probably more.

The OP is correct that a huge number of questions / problems / errors are posted that do not get answered. It would help if there were a sub-forum for each major topic forum that contained a list of the most commonly asked questions with the answers, solutions, and workarounds for those. And perhaps a checklist of things to search for that is connected to the various common questions, issues, and errors encountered. Yet some of the common problems are not always requiring the same answers and solutions, or workarounds / fixes. Newer users or not, lately I've seen what appear to be issues that had previously received answers, unbeknownst to the new poster, and the issue is not fixed by the popularly suggested tips and typical solution. One example I think of is the 'blobby' or 'weird' shadow reference in posts. One suggestion is the 'blobby' shadow is caused by insufficient mesh distance field resolution / size, while another claim is its due to bad mesh structure, and yet another potential cause is related to using a Light Propagation Volume. When a beginner in an advanced and settings-driven program, the problem encountered appears to have far more potential causes (especially unknowns) than the same problem when experienced and knowledgeable.
                          Last edited by presto423; 06-30-2020, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilCleric View Post
                            To me, it's quite easy to lose the desire to be more active in the forums and try to help others. There are too many:
                            1. that clearly demonstrate a high degree of lazyness, where they just ask for a solution without even really trying anything or they just gave up after the first try --- you should try and try again, even if it takes days or even weeks;
                            2. that just jump in and start working on their project, without even trying some tutorials or do some small projects to get to know the engine first --- acceptable when the engine became publicly available and there was a lack of information, but not now;
                            3. rabbit holes: where they require step by step answers, with an high degree of details and explanations --- I don't want to insult anyone, so I won't say anything about this;
                            4. that are trying to learn C++ with unreal --- get an lightweight IDE like Code::Blocks and learn the basics of the language there;
                            5. people asking for something and never give any news. When you take on your time to try a solution, make some screenshot or gif, explain to the person, and this one completely doesn't care, it is very discouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by Grot13 View Post

5. people asking for something and never give any news. When you take on your time to try a solution, make some screenshot or gif, explain to the person, and this one completely doesn't care, it is very discouraging.
                              But then someone else runs into your meticulously crafted solution 4 years later and gives you the thumbs up, and it makes your day, and life is good again!

Comment

I'm always trolling the forums looking to answer a few questions, or share information in general, and there are the usual suspects that do the same.

If it helps here are just some reasons why I don't answer a question.

1) Question lacks context.

Everything in games development is about and based on context so what would be the best answer to a question really depends on a full understanding of the issue in hand. Lets take this for example.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...olution-solved

There is an assumption that the problem is obvious and compounded by

I got an issue as you can see on this video :

The problem is I can not see the issue due to the poor quality of the image or even understand what the desired result should be.

2) Person asking the question does not have a basic understanding of what they wish to "learn"

Usually these are general question like how do I make animations for my game or how do I make a map/environment.

3) I don't know the answer to the question.

4) There are at times more than one solution to the problem or the setup that requires a better understanding of the depth of the problem.

These are usually the "Why does my lighting suck" kind of questions

5) I have to "work" to see examples of the problem.

This is usually example resources stored on sights or drop boxes requiring a subscription and log in.

Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                                Custom Map Maker Discord
                                https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
                                Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Working...
                                X