Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for blueprinters/programmers to help on an adventure/action/puzzle game like Tomb Raider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by ChrisV View Post
    As for puzzles, we're going to add a variety of puzzle types. Some are Key and Lock types (item use and item combination type), some are environmental puzzles (pulling a lever for example), there's also the type of puzzle where the player needs to execute a series of actions in a particular order, and there's also timing puzzles. Overall, the plan is to add a variety of puzzle types or even a combination of them.
    The option to solve a puzzle in a few ways might be added too. I want Crystals Of Theia to be replayable as much as possible.
    Hi ChrisV,

Puzzle Mechanics are of interests to me of late. They're the only game mechanics I have never programmed. But like all subsystems I design, I consider all the requirements and devise the game object to consolidate all the parameters to support all the requirements at the lowest level. I typically decouple the functional logic from a particular representation for more flexibility, using data to drive the parameters. A sort of MVC design.

With consideration to your Puzzle description above, I would devise the Environmental Puzzle System a Player Character must solve, into 3 parts: Event Triggers, Obstacles, Boosts.
    • Event Trigger, listen for interactivity, checks conditions to detonate, activates detonation timer, detonates executing actions
    • Obstacles are put in the path of the player to prevent progress. I would anticipate many obstacles will be level design with hard to reach areas or mazes. Spawning Enemies, Turrets
    Event Trigger

The Event Triggers could be activated by direct Event call or collision detection (3D space). When the 'Trigger' activates, we perform a 'CheckList' which is List of IF conditional checks to determine SUCCESS or FAIL to 'Fire'. The Checklist is where you would check player inventory of certain items or attributes/stat values. If CheckList returns a SUCCESS, the Event fires, executing its Detonation Timer. When the Detonation Timer reaches it Timeout Count, Event Trigger's executes its Action List. The Action List could a list of Events to call, list of references to other interactive objects to activate, or script for advanced actions.

I'm developing a In-game Quest Creator layered on top of my Multi-user Construction System. As stated above, I'm using a sort MVC design, the 3d mesh parts are decoupled from parameters that define logic. This allows me take full advantage the multi-user construction system's feature set for 3d mesh part that represents the object. The goal of this is to spawn Puzzle dynamically and configure via GUI realt-ime for immediate feedback and iteration.

Obstacles

Obstacles are 'things' that block the player from progressing. I would anticipate a majority of Obstacles to be Part of the Level Design with hard-to-reach areas that require ropes/ladders to climb up or down, Pits-of-Death that require bridges to cross, Locked Doors and Blocked Doors by moveable objects.

The design of the level itself such as a Maze can be the obstacle designed to confuse and distort players ability navigate resulting path looping. A single dark room can be maze, if you don't know where the key is to open the door, assuming you can feel for walls and even see the door.

Dynamic obstacles could be Spawning Enemies, Turrets, Environmental Distortion caused by Weather that confuses and distorts player navigation. Even damage to the Player such as poison can be an obstacle as it slowly ticks down the players health forcing them to find a cure, instead the progress point.

Boosts

Boosts are things that give the Player the ability to counter an Obstacle. It could provide opposite effect in whole or increments. For example, A Fire blocking an Exit would be countered by 3 x 1 liter water bottles, Level Obstacles are countered by Level Boost: A pit countered by bridge; A Dark Room counted by any Light source; a Maze countered by Landmarks. A Stat Obstacles such as poison countered by stat boost such as antidote.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Fascinating Game Dev Journey. I took a similar path, endured lots of hangups, design disagreements, project revamps, and stagnation to get where I am today. I continued to Never give up! Adapt and Pivot, Iterate to completion. Perseverance is the key to success in my opinion.
    Yeah man, I totally agree! Perseverance is needed to succeed. Commitment and passion go a very long way. I would've probably given up long ago if I didn't have those attributes, lol.
    It's also about the fun part, during development...to see your creations come to life. But, there are always times that one becomes frustrated or somewhat bored, ready to give up, and it's at those times that you must keep going, and realize that you're not a loser, but a winner if you continue.
    A few years ago, I made a 2.5 breakout clone, called 'BRIXOID'. Spent almost a year developing it. Did everything...2D and 3D art, sound and music, programming, etc. I was able to finish it, and oh my...that feeling when your dream is a reality! It was awesome!

You need the hard stuff. LOL. Surprised that Enemy AI and Puzzle Mechanics are not highlighted in the recruitment, as it seems you have plenty of work done on the character, 0 on the game play elements.
    I did mention enemy A.I., if I'm not mistaken . Let me check ... ah yes, I did add A.I., but didn't mention 'puzzle mechanics' for some reason, lol. Will add that as well, thanks!
    But yeah, the A.I. and climb system are amongst the harder parts. Game mechanics isn't too hard, depending on what type of puzzle of course.

Can enemy combatants move like the player does - climb, jump, run, take cover etc to chase or evade the player? If so, this suggests some complex behavior trees and event triggers.
    Yes, the idea is to give the enemies as much freedom to move as possible, except for the climbing part. We want the enemies to appear humanly realistic in terms of behaviour, but there's always limitations that occur when you create gameplay for any level, especially as an indie team.

Is light and sound detection a concern?
    We're playing with the option to add light and sound detection for the A.I. to some degree. The player can choose to use stealth, or go in all guns blazing.
    I had this idea to give the enemies also the ability to shoot lights, or even throw props (a can for example) to misguide the player, but we'll see how easy that is to implement, lol .

As for puzzles, we're going to add a variety of puzzle types. Some are Key and Lock types (item use and item combination type), some are environmental puzzles (pulling a lever for example), there's also the type of puzzle where the player needs to execute a series of actions in a particular order, and there's also timing puzzles. Overall, the plan is to add a variety of puzzle types or even a combination of them.
    The option to solve a puzzle in a few ways might be added too. I want Crystals Of Theia to be replayable as much as possible.

Good luck with GODofDREAMS, btw! Very unique project it seems.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ChrisV View Post
    Hello, TechLord

Yeah, it's one of my favourite game genres as well, lol. Never played Pitfall though .

Thanks, man! Yep, it's been a while. Actually, the game project started of with only two people, me and Richard. We used the Leadwerks engine back then , but due to a complete rewrite of the engine and wanting a better engine we went for Unity (Unreal was UDK back then lol), and during the years the team had gone through multiple changes and at some point the project was put on hold because we merged with another team, but that didn't work out too well either.
    And when Unreal came out and was free, I decided to give it a try, and so that's where we're still at .

Thanks for the great comments! The controller does indeed have third person shooting controls implemented, as well as car mechanics. The player can also pick up ammo/weapons/health and there's an inventory system that needs a bit of work.
    The initial idea is to have third person only, but I might go for both if enough people would want the FP option in it as well. In fact, there's already a first person mode integrated.

We need soldier (enemy) AI, puzzle mechanics and a cover system. And of course, a decent climb system to start with for the demo.

The plan is to get that demo finished and use that as a way to get more interest from the community, as well as funding for the game.
    I already spoke a few times with a guy from Koch Media/Deep Silver (actually, he contacted me first ), and they're interested in our game project. They need a playable demo, and other proof of concept in order for them to decide if they will support us financially and also help us advertising/publishing the game.

So, basically...if they do, we're golden.
    Fascinating Game Dev Journey. I took a similar path, endured lots of hangups, design disagreements, project revamps, and stagnation to get where I am today. I continued to Never give up! Adapt and Pivot, Iterate to completion. Perseverance is the key to success in my opinion.

We need soldier (enemy) AI, puzzle mechanics and a cover system. And of course, a decent climb system to start with for the demo. You need the hard stuff. LOL. Surprised that Enemy AI and Puzzle Mechanics are not highlighted in the recruitment, as it seems you have plenty of work done on the character, 0 on the game play elements.

Can enemy combatants move like the player does - climb, jump, run, take cover etc to chase or evade the player? If so, this suggests some complex behavior trees and event triggers. I would pursue the enemy behavioral diversity in which enemies look/attack/guard in a specific way that's predictable to promote player tactics.

There's a forced cover mechanic, and the simple crouch. I'm personally more in favor a simple crouch using the environment for cover as it allows more flexibility such as to alter the environment to create cover. The forced cover, typically uses collision triggers to manually activate a control mode limited to cover animations. The environment can provide cover by strength of material, height of walls and objects, light/shadow, sound emission. Is light and sound detection a concern?

Puzzles can be fun to design. Simple modular puzzle mechanics that combine to create complex puzzles would be the way I approach it. Such as what I analogously refer to as a Key-Lock Event Triggers in which the Key must match Lock Keyhole to trigger event. The Key and Lock are separated by distance and obstacles. Key and Lock can be nested within each other to create very elaborate puzzles.

I'm planning for both modular AI and Puzzle mechanics in GODofDREAMS, but no where near ready to implement them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello, TechLord

Love the genre since the days of Pitfall.
    Yeah, it's one of my favourite game genres as well, lol. Never played Pitfall though .

Noticed you've been diligently working on Crystal of Theia since 08/2016. I commend your dedication.
    Thanks, man! Yep, it's been a while. Actually, the game project started of with only two people, me and Richard. We used the Leadwerks engine back then , but due to a complete rewrite of the engine and wanting a better engine we went for Unity (Unreal was UDK back then lol), and during the years the team had gone through multiple changes and at some point the project was put on hold because we merged with another team, but that didn't work out too well either.
    And when Unreal came out and was free, I decided to give it a try, and so that's where we're still at .

I visited your Twitter, superb art work. From some of the stills, looks like you already have Thirdperson Shooter Player controls in.
    Are you also going for First Person mode like in Deadfall? (Me like FPS).
    Thanks for the great comments! The controller does indeed have third person shooting controls implemented, as well as car mechanics. The player can also pick up ammo/weapons/health and there's an inventory system that needs a bit of work.
    The initial idea is to have third person only, but I might go for both if enough people would want the FP option in it as well. In fact, there's already a first person mode integrated.

What other gameplay is required to be implemented? Soldier AI Combatants? Puzzle mechanics? Any Stealth Mechanics? I'm thinking you're going to require significantly more than just a 'climb system framework'.
    We need soldier (enemy) AI, puzzle mechanics and a cover system. And of course, a decent climb system to start with for the demo.

The plan is to get that demo finished and use that as a way to get more interest from the community, as well as funding for the game.
    I already spoke a few times with a guy from Koch Media/Deep Silver (actually, he contacted me first ), and they're interested in our game project. They need a playable demo, and other proof of concept in order for them to decide if they will support us financially and also help us advertizing/publishing the game.

So, basically...if they do, we're golden.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello ChrisV

Love the genre since the days of Pitfall. LOL. Noticed you've been diligently working on Crystal of Theia since 08/2016. I commend your dedication. I visited your Twitter, superb art work. From some of the stills, looks like you already have Thirdperson Shooter Player controls in. In regards to "Your job will be to get the character controller done, and helping on the gameplay." Are you also going for First Person mode like in Deadfall? (Me like FPS). What other gameplay is required to be implemented? Soldier AI Combatants? Puzzle mechanics? Any Stealth Mechanics? I'm thinking you're going to require significantly more than just a 'climb system framework'.
    Last edited by TechLord; 08-28-2019, 06:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Looking for blueprinters/programmers to help on an adventure/action/puzzle game like Tomb Raider.

Hello,

My name is Chris, Founder, Teamleader and 3d generalist for Pix On Screen, an indie dev team working on the game 'Crystals Of Theia', an adventure/action/puzzle game similar to games like Tomb Raider, Uncharted and Deadfall Adventures.

We are still in need of one or two blueprinters/programmers to help us getting the demo done which will give us the opportunity to sign a contract with Europe's leading game publisher.

Your job will be to get the character controller done, and helping on the gameplay.

Skills needed:

- Sufficient experience in UE blueprints and/or programming and animation blueprinting
    - Knowing how to program a climb system framework
    - Experience with multiplayer and A.I. programming is a plus
    - Puzzle mechanics programming experience
    - Dedication and motivation! Having the drive to continue even when things get hard sometimes is the only way to get there.
    - Working in a team is not a problem for you.

What we have to offer:

- The opportunity to embark on a fun journey and create a fun and exiting game that has great potential to become a blockbuster!
    - A chance to get funded by Europe's leading game publisher Koch Media/Deep Silver!
    - Dedication and motivation as a team to help you and ourselves to achieve our dream together!

We use Discord for chat, and Microsoft Visual Studio Community for project sharing.

You can contact me here (personnal message), or via Skype (chrisv770), or on Discord (Laser Ultra Mega Maxi#2375).

Here's the Twitter account for the project where you can find more information about the project.

https://twitter.com/pixonscreen

And here are some recent screenshots of the work in progress demo level:

I hope to hear you soon!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by ChrisV; 09-01-2019, 12:33 PM.
Working...
X