Indigenous is Recruiting!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROYALTY] Indigenous is Recruiting!

The Indigenous team has spent quite a bit of time planning and reflecting on how our game could be fun and enjoyable to play. We've gone through a few test phases and numerous planning revisions and are confident we've finally found our sweet spot. Now all we need to do is execute on our plans! That's the easy part, right? ...right guys?

Okay maybe that's not an accurate assumption . But that's why we need you! We're expanding our team's ranks dramatically - recruiting in almost every department - to help push our vision through into demo, alpha and release stages.

What is Indigenous?

Indigenous is a third-person survival game set in a tropical island environment. Unlike many typical survival games, players are surrounded by life. They control a tribal leader who is responsible for the prosperity of his or her tribe. The tribe does as the leader commands, whether that's exploring, defending, attacking, trading, building, learning, gathering, or many other actions, and may live or die by their leader's choices. While many survival games force the feeling of isolation, Indigenous is centered around community and growth, which players will experience as they command their tribe.

However, our islands are not without their perils. Surviving on a tropical island is not easy. In addition to the naturally harsh atmosphere of hot, muggy days and hurricane storms, the islands are filled with many natural predators big and small, as well as other leaders from foreign tribes. Yes, that means other players and their tribes. You may choose to get along with the other tribes and trade, make alliances and conquer the island elements together, or you may choose the path of war and strife.

As tribes grow and learn, they expand their population and their borders, and exploring other islands becomes commonplace. Islands will be streamed and will auto-populate based on the number of active players. There will be twelve to fifteen player-driven tribes on any given island, along with a handful of NPC-driven, completely autonomous tribes.

We are recruiting for the following positions:
    [1x] World Builder
    We are looking for a world builder who can start building logical flow and progression on paper and then convert that pre-production into polished, interactive gameplay environments.
    [*] Experience in world building with UE4 is required
    [*] Desire to learn/use automation and procedural tools to speed up workflow (UE4 tools)
    [*] An eye for aesthetic and talent for building beautiful scenes is required, and an eye for interactive design is critical as well
    [*] A knack for balancing core gameplay elements in the world, from gatherable items to animal NPCs to human tribes. Location, location, location!
    [1x] Lighting / Post Process Artist
    We are looking for a lighting / post process artist who can create believable and fantastical atmospheres by manipulating lighting, the post process chain, the world properties, sun settings, LUTs, clouds and fog, etc.
    [*] Experience in world building with UE4 is required
    [*] Experience in creating realistic and/or fantastical environment scenarios is required (what you showcase needs to look intended and cohesive, even if its cartoon)
    [*] An eye for aesthetic and talent for building beautiful scenes is required
    [*] The ability to transition the atmosphere between day/night cycles, weather patterns, and gameplay-driven events all while maintaining quality and cohesiveness is required
    [1x] Environment / Prop Artist
    Environments require significant artwork to flesh out. We need those who are interested in going beyond the individual props and want to really see a scene finished and polished.
    [*] Knowledge of how UE4 handles art (lighting, art pipelines, render pipelines, post process effects) is required to ensure art looks good in its final form
    [*] Knowledge of UE4 material editor is required - you will be required to import and set up your own assets
    [*] Best practices for modeling, UV mapping and texturing "next gen" assets are required
    [*] Intimacy with PBR workflow and values is a huge plus
    [*] Both hard surface and organic art skills are desired, but only one is required per artist
    [1x] Rigger / Skinner
    Our character is currently not wearing any clothes and that's not very decent of him. We have clothes for this man, but they aren't skinned to his body. We are also interested in PhysX for cloth.
    [*] Knowledge of how UE4 handles clothing in general
    [*] Knowledge of UE4 + PhysX Cloth
    [*] Best practices for rigging/skinning/animating "next gen" assets are required - you don't need to animate but you have to know what animators need.
    [1x] Particle FX Artist
    We are looking for someone who wants to try new, fun things with CPU and GPU particles. Not only do we want someone who can create realistic particles, but someone who enjoys manipulating them in unique ways.
    [*] Knowledge of how UE4 handles particles is required
    [*] Ability to create particles from scratch is required
    [*] Ability and/or desire to manipulate particle states with blueprint logic
    [1x] Concept Artist - UI and HUD
    We need someone who can incorporate our tribal themes in a clean and simple way into our interface elements and menu systems.
    [*] Previous design experience with interfaces for games is required.
    [*] Ability to create super-simple and clean interface concepts that also display the necessary information for the player.
    [*] UE4 experience with UMG or other UI solutions is a plus, but not required.
    [1x] Blueprint and/or C++ Engineer
    There are many features we've implemented and tweaked over the past 6 months, but we need help fleshing them out and adding polish. We also have many features we haven't completely explored but intend to work on.
    [*] Experience implementing blueprint functionality in UE4 is required
    [*] C++ experience isn't required, but anyone wanting to work in C++ must show expert level knowledge of the language and how UE4 makes use of it
    [*] Big plusses for experience in any of the following categories: artificial intelligence, combat systems, persistent data / database systems, procedural generation / random seed logic
    [1x] Writer / Story builder
    We aren't making a single player experience, so we aren't looking for a story builder in the traditional sense. We're looking for someone who can see patterns in the landscape and create opportunities (and reasons for those opportunities to exist).
    [*] Expert at writing in the English language
    [*] Ability to look at various top-down maps, concepts, and in-game screenshots and expand upon our existing material via the written word
    [*] Must be able to tie together images and writing into cohesive thoughts
    [1x] Composer
    We are looking for someone who can inspire players as they explore, battle, learn and thrive in our island environments.
    [*] Knowledge of how UE4 handles audio is a plus
    [*] Ability to create blend-able scores is required - from exploration to battle, from learning to idle, and from night to day are various simple examples
    [*] Experience creating music for various states and environments is required - see above for some common example states
    [*] Sound effects aren't required, but communication with our sound FX artists is required to ensure audio flows smoothly without conflicts
    [1x] Sound FX Artist
    We need lots of great sound effects for Indigenous. From background environmentals to heavy combat, sound effects are critically important to our atmosphere. Parts of our game design are even reliant on accurate and logical audio queues.
    [*] Knowledge of how UE4 handles audio is required
    [*] Knowledge of UE4 audio editor is required - you will be required to import and set up your own assets
    [*] Experience with a wide variety of sound effects is required, from running water and light footsteps on grass to animal sounds and heavy combat

[SHOT]http://i.imgur.com/IMAfgkY.png[/SHOT] [SHOT]http://i.imgur.com/A8rRqwM.png[/SHOT] [SHOT]http://i.imgur.com/jiLM6Hu.png[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://i.imgur.com/3hQx6Nx.jpg[/SHOT] [SHOT]http://i.imgur.com/3ZX0g77.jpg[/SHOT] [SHOT]http://i.imgur.com/sTdaWXK.jpg[/SHOT]

Why should I consider joining Indigenous?

We understand that there are many great teams making incredible games right now, but here's a short list of why we are proud to be part of the Indigenous tribe:
    Talent: Many of our members are extremely talented in their respective fields and have a strong desire to continue improving on their talents. It's motivating to see your team members succeed at their goals.
    Experience: Many of our members are also very experienced in their fields, most having shipped one or more titles on PC and console for other companies.
    Freedom: We expect a minimum of 10 hours per week on average. In addition, you are free to post any work you do for Indigenous online to showcase yourself (and our team), and if we don't end up using your work in the game then you are free to use it as you see fit. If we aren't making use of your hard work then we don't see a reason to keep control over it.
    Opportunity: We are in a very unique position - Indigenous leadership has access to showcase the game at nearly every game conference in the world and is well connected with many publishers. If the team's work is good enough to showcase, it will be guaranteed to see the light. Not many people can claim that guarantee, and we are in a rare position to make it happen. We don't want to squander the opportunity by not delivering a quality game!
    If you're interested in talking further, please email lehmanz [at] gmail [dot] com, or add me on Skype: gcc_zooch.
    Last edited by Zooch; 12-12-2015, 04:30 AM.

Interesting, Will defo keep an eye for you guys. Gl.
    VFX Artist
    Portfolio: Here

Comment

I've worked with Zooch on another game and it changed my life. Whoever joins this team is in great hands!

Comment

Haha thanks for the kind words dglow - it helped that you were a good artist who happened to grow into an all-star while working with us! Can't wait to play MK-X!!

Comment

I've been having alot of fun working with Zooch on several projects, including Indigenous, and the gameplay premise of Indigenous is actually quite interesting to me!

I am particularly looking forward to how the natural environment responds to and interacts with the player, and also the experience of commanding your own tribe.

I can't wait to see how this project develops!

Rama
          100+ UE4 C++ Tutorials on the UE4 Code Wiki, including UE4 Multi-Threading!

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Visit www.ue4code.com to see lots of videos about my C++ Creations! ♥ Rama

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Rama - It's been a pleasure working with you so far!

Since the original posting we've been able to fill several positions and have some awesome additions to the team: 1 sound FX engineer, 2 blueprint/C++ engineers, 1 weapons/prop artist, 1 level designer, and we're interviewing many talented composers.

We're still actively looking for artists, animators and designers though, so let me know if you're interested in hearing more! Also as a reminder - my inbox here is almost always full so please don't PM me. Email me or add me to skype instead (both contacts listed above)!

Comment

Man this sounds quite interesting.

Unfortunatley I'm not an artist. Might have applied, even though my UE4 programming still need a lot to get to a great level.

Wish you guys all the best with your project.
              July's GameJam Entry: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post341226

Comment

Good luck there! Looking forward to see more

Comment

Thanks for the support guys! I would like to that this moment to clarify something as well. Royalty projects often see many developers come and go. In our case, many developers join the team then find full time jobs in game development. This happens all the time. So while you might see that a position has been closed on our forum thread, please don't hesitate to contact me anyways! At the very least we can chat and I can keep you in mind for when we have another vacancy.

With that said, we've brought one more environment / prop artist on board as well as one writer / story builder! We're staffing up quite nicely so far but still are on the lookout for the always-elusive animators!

Comment

I can't wait for this project! Absolutely LOVE the concept!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zooch View Post
                      Royalty projects often see many developers come and go. In our case, many developers join the team then find full time jobs in game development. This happens all the time. So while you might see that a position has been closed on our forum thread, please don't hesitate to contact me anyways!
                      I was a developer that started working on Indigenous around its inception. Shortly after joining the team I was offered a full time gig. If I had free time I would work on this project. They are a talented (and fun!) group of individuals. Zooch and I go back many years now and I cannot say in words how happy I am to know him. You will become a better developer working with this team. I know this because I experienced it myself. On top of growing your skills you will bring a great concept to life.

Good luck with your recruiting Zooch. I will send people your way when asked if I know of any projects looking for talent.

Comment

still looking for rigger artist

Comment

I'm guessing that's in the form of a question, so I'll answer: we're always interested in hearing from technical artists and are actively seeking animators. Do you have a portfolio that showcases your past experience?

Comment

We've filled a few more positions and have opened a brand new one!
                            [1x] Concept Artist - UI and HUD
                            We need someone who can incorporate our tribal themes in a clean and simple way into our interface elements and menu systems.
                            [*] Previous design experience with interfaces for games is required.
                            [*] Ability to create super-simple and clean interface concepts that also display the necessary information for the player.
                            [*] UE4 experience with UMG or other UI solutions is a plus, but not required.

Comment

Just got back from DICE and wanted to bump this back to the top while I worked through my existing emails.

Comment

Working...
                              X