[Unpaid] Open Tournament - Open-Sourced Community Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Unpaid] Open Tournament - Open-Sourced Community Project

Vblanco was talking over on the General Discussion forum about bringing the community together to form a community version of Unreal Tournament to life. Before I go into specifics, I'll say now that nobody will be paid from this. The final product won't be charged for, it's a free project (Such as Timesplitters Rewind) that is made to bring the community together and work on something a lot of us all love... Without further ado. THIS IS A NON-PROFIT PROJECT CREATED TO HELP BRING THE COMMUNITY TOGETHER.

[UNPAID] (Community Project) Unreal Tournament - Community Spiritual Successor!

Project Title:
    Open Tournament

Name/working title of project.
    Community Tournament

Description:
    What's there really to say? It's Unreal Tournament, Made by the community using Unreal Engine 4.

Includes:
    Story Mode,
    Multiplayer Mode,
    Bots,
    Vehicles,
    Mods,
    All the things you love from previous Unreal Tournament games into one community-created bundle!

Team Name:
    N/A - Everyone is welcome to help out!

Team Structure:
    vBlanco - Project Creator / Project Lead
    Ryan Shah [Of Kitatus Studios] - Designer (Story, Art Direction, UI, System, "Lore"), Marketing (Getting the word out!)

Open Positions:
    There's plenty of open positions as it's a community project, so feel free to post what you can provide to the project! It's a community effort so as I said, all help is welcome!

Previous Work:
    Ryan S [Kitatus Studios] - Distro Horizons, Super Distro and the upcoming iOS/Android game ZeroWorldPlus

Required:
    The main things required are knowledge of UDK/UE4 and a love for Unreal Tournament.

Not online yet, but if reception is good then it'll be live soon!

E-mail: contact@kitatusstudios.co.uk
    Last edited by KITATUS; 04-02-2014, 06:25 PM.
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Just wanted to add here. This is meant as a nonprofit open source project for the community, to try stuff and learn. Anyone that wants can join, so if you want to get some experience of working on a group or get better skills, come.
    UDK and UE4 programmer and Unreal engine 4 betatester. Currently working on commercial VR games.
    Deep knowlegde of C++ and blueprints.
    Games released, Deathwave, VRMultigames, DWVR:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/463870
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/500360
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/520750

Comment

Originally posted by vblanco View Post
      Just wanted to add here. This is meant as a nonprofit open source project for the community, to try stuff and learn. Anyone that wants can join, so if you want to get some experience of working on a group or get better skills, come.
      I'll add this in to the top.
      KITATUS

Comment

Like I mentioned in the other thread I'd love to help out with this but I'm still pretty new to UE4. I'm primarily a Web developer. I've done a little work with compiled languages, but nothing major, so I wouldn't consider myself an expert in that area.

If you get a github account set up, I'd be willing to work on a front-page for the project with Github pages. Using Github pages seems like a good option to go down for a website/front-page, since it's free and can be managed.
        Last edited by MrBeardy; 04-02-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonshi View Post
          Like I mentioned in the other thread I'd love to help out with this but I'm still pretty new to UE4. I'm primarily a Web developer. I've done a little work with compiled languages, but nothing major, so I wouldn't consider myself an expert in that area.

If you get a github account set up, I'd be willing to work on a front-page for the project with Github pages. Using Github pages seems like a good option to go down for a website/front-page, since it's free and can be managed.
          Nice! You could work on a website for the project or to set up multiplayer games and servers. For now, ill wait a few days to see if there is enough people interested to get a team going and if Epic is fine with this.
          UDK and UE4 programmer and Unreal engine 4 betatester. Currently working on commercial VR games.
          Deep knowlegde of C++ and blueprints.
          Games released, Deathwave, VRMultigames, DWVR:
          http://store.steampowered.com/app/463870
          http://store.steampowered.com/app/500360
          http://store.steampowered.com/app/520750

Comment

Originally posted by vblanco View Post
            For now, ill wait a few days to see if there is enough people interested to get a team going and if Epic is fine with this.
            Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on this space for any updates.

Comment

Well i would like to hear a word from an Epic representative before i say anything. If they confirm it's viable then i will also try and help.
              VFX Artist
              Portfolio: Here

Comment

I would like to help out. Right now I'm working on my masters in computer science.

Comment

You probably should have consulted with Epic before making another thread. This sounds like a good idea, and I'm all for it (Big UT fan) - but Epic still owns the IP and any representation of it has to be authorized by them and them alone.

SEJonF.com | Twitter | Youtube | ArtStation | WIP | UE4 SciFi Assets Hallways | Interiors | Props | CMD Center | Engineer Halls & Props | Free Asset Demo | Fantasy WIP | Ice Shader

Comment

Sounds like a great idea and I'm interested in contributing in some way. I'm a project manager for software development by day, but new to game development.

My suggestion for a name: Unlimited Tournament. Plays on the original name and fits the open and communal aspect. Maybe add a "4" as well just for fun and to make it UT4.

Comment

Official word from Epic:
                      "We appreciate your interest in both Unreal Tournament and UE4, but unfortunately we cannot authorize a community driven Unreal Tournament game. But if you want to make a spiritual successor that doesn't use the trademarks or copyrighted content (like characters), definitely go for it."

So we've had a name change!
                      KITATUS

Comment

Hi,

I'm a programmer/designer mainly from a Unity background but recently I have been looking at UE4. I'm looking to work on something open source which will expand my skills but at the same time help out. I currently work a QA role within the Games industry.

Cheers,
                        Sam

Comment

UC - Unending Conflict?
                          Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

I actually like that name. Perhaps there can be suggestions and then a poll?

SEJonF.com | Twitter | Youtube | ArtStation | WIP | UE4 SciFi Assets Hallways | Interiors | Props | CMD Center | Engineer Halls & Props | Free Asset Demo | Fantasy WIP | Ice Shader

Comment

Uneding Conflict is awesome! Right, I'll start a Google Site in a little while with everyone's names and roles. If people could PM me or post on here their email addresses and / or Skype ID's - it's going to make things a lot easier to manage.

Edit: Will do a poll for a name on the Google Site when it's up!
                              KITATUS

Comment

Working...
                              X