Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[CONCEPT] Crowdsourced 3D Game Art & Animation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [CONCEPT] Crowdsourced 3D Game Art & Animation



    To save time and money, Companies are turning to crowdsourced design competitions like 99designs.com for Logo design & more. The idea behind these competitions is, instead of hiring one designer, you hold a “design contest” to receive 100s of design submissions, pick the best one, and then award that designer the money.

    Indie and Amateur Game Devs like me could benefit from such services. I thoroughly searched the internet for a crowdsource platform specializing in 3D Game Assets: Characters, Vehicles, Weapons, etc. The results: DesignCrowd.com and many links to how InXile is crowdsourcing 3D Unity models for Wasteland 2.

    Why isn't there a crowdsourcing platform for 3D Game Assets? Obviously, authoring and animating a 3D Entity requires more time... Eureka! I had an idea and it works similar to a Distributed Computing System (ie UE3 SWARM) combined with Modular Entity Construction (UMECHS).

    How it Works:
    1. Game Devs submit 3D Game Entity Design
    2. Generate Concept Art
    3. Dissect the Entity into Parts (UMECHS Rig & Bash Mesh Selection)
    4. Present Parts Design to Crowd (Design Pack)
    5. Collect Parts Output from Crowd
    6. [Automated Assembly] Entity Variations from Parts for Review by Game Devs
      [Manual Assembly]
      1. Customer Customization
      2. Assisted Customization

    7. Customer selects one or more Entity, Parts, or Packs for Purchase.
    8. Publish Unselected Assets in Asset Marketplace for Sell to the masses.


    There are several pros and cons to crowdsourcing as explained here. My Distributed Crowdsource Authoring for 3D Game Art & Animation model addresses the Cons of Crowdsourcing Assets for both Buyers and Sellers. I'm still flushing out the idea and open to both good and bad critique.

    Thanks for reading.
    34
    Yes
    11.76%
    4
    No
    88.24%
    30
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM.
    HeadlessStudios.com - S P A G H E T T I: Ninja Swords, Guns & Monsters & Other S**t! - Join Our Discord

    #2
    If you're going to ask for people to submit for free then just do that---those design competitions are ridiculous, if you're working for a job you would get paid a lot more than that, for the people who's work doesn't get chosen they get nothing for their time. And if you were to work with an artist they would already give you many options to choose from and help figure out the design tailored specifically to what you want.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      If you're going to ask for people to submit for free then just do that---those design competitions are ridiculous, if you're working for a job you would get paid a lot more than that, for the people who's work doesn't get chosen they get nothing for their time. And if you were to work with an artist they would already give you many options to choose from and help figure out the design tailored specifically to what you want.
      Please Reference How it Works: #7. The Model I propose addresses the concerns you mentioned with Modular Entity Construction (Interchangeable Parts), Mass Customization, and an Asset Marketplace. Commercial Development Teams already outsource 3D Asset Authoring. This is a growing Trend. My model creates a workable crowdsource alternative for everyone, with focus on benefits for Game Devs minimizing time & expense, and Artists maximizing time & profit$.
      HeadlessStudios.com - S P A G H E T T I: Ninja Swords, Guns & Monsters & Other S**t! - Join Our Discord

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TechLord View Post
        To save time and money, Companies are turning to crowdsourced design competitions like. The idea behind these competitions is, instead of hiring one designer, you hold a “design contest” to receive 100s of design submissions, pick the best one, and then award that designer the money.
        participate in something like that its stupid, and haven't respect for your own work.

        that its like hire workers in a Burger King and only pay the best one.

        its nice for the company but workers/designer are worst than slaves. (You must feed all slave no the slave who doing better job.)


        PD: when you doing a game/app and release it would be nice if i get all the games released that month and i pay for the better one.
        Last edited by knack; 06-29-2014, 06:04 AM.
        pd: excuse my english.

        lfw/paid modeling, painting, texturing.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by knack View Post
          participate in something like that its stupid, and haven't respect for your own work.

          that its like hire workers in a Burger King and only pay the best one.

          its nice for the company but workers/designer are worst than slaves. (You must feed all slave no the slave who doing better job.)


          PD: when you doing a game/app and release it would be nice if i get all the games released that month and i pay for the better one.
          Burger King Workers? Slaves? Offensive? I'm not sure where your going with all that... Anyways, you're critiquing the current crowdsourcing content model. My goal is to get feedback on my new model specifically for authoring 3D Game Assets. What are your thoughts on Distributed Crowdsource Authoring?
          HeadlessStudios.com - S P A G H E T T I: Ninja Swords, Guns & Monsters & Other S**t! - Join Our Discord

          Comment


            #6
            can you please visualize the cash-flow in your chart?

            otherwise its not really awakening.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by TechLord View Post
              Burger King Workers? Slaves? Offensive? I'm not sure where your going with all that...
              where are going its that model it is disrespectful with the workers, designer should be ashamed by participate in that.

              i not work for see if i win a competition and can "eat today", while a companny get advantage of 99 free works by the price of one.




              Anyways, you're critiquing the current crowdsourcing content model. My goal is to get feedback on my new model specifically for authoring 3D Game Assets. What are your thoughts on Distributed Crowdsource Authoring?
              I can't comment your model, i not sure if i understand good your model and why i need that.

              perhaps its because my bad english... or you must explain better if i'm not the only.

              anyway begin your presentation mentioning a scabby model like this, i think ins't a good idea.
              Last edited by knack; 06-29-2014, 07:54 AM.
              pd: excuse my english.

              lfw/paid modeling, painting, texturing.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Staazvaind View Post
                can you please visualize the cash-flow in your chart?

                otherwise its not really awakening.
                The initial post is from my perspective as a Game Dev. I will work on details to highlight benefits to Designers, especially the cash-flow aspects. There are several fundamental differences between the current crowdsource content model and Distributed Crowdsource Authoring model. Below are bullet points I will expand on to help me get my thoughts together on these aspects.
                • It's a Web-based platform. Specializing in authoring and animating individual 3D Game Entities: Character Head/Body, Vehicle, Weapons, Architecture, Props, etc.
                • Site manages all submissions, processing and transactions between Game Devs and Designers.
                • Game Devs and Designers join the Site to participate in Contests.
                • Game Devs submit 3D Entity Designs and set a Budget by Prepayment.
                • Designers can query Requests, receive Design Request Notifications, and Submit Parts.
                • Site uses Modular Entity Construction to dissect Entity into Interchangeable Parts that can be worked individually.
                • Site provides means for Game Devs to customize Entity Parts [Automated/Manual Assembly], rate parts, request feedback, etc
                • Site provides multiple Entity Package options to Game Devs with additional cost upfront.
                • Site provides Asset Marketplace to Resell unselected Parts from contest.
                • Site deducts Processing Fee % upon Sell of any Package Asset from Contest or Marketplace, transfers reminder to the Designers.
                HeadlessStudios.com - S P A G H E T T I: Ninja Swords, Guns & Monsters & Other S**t! - Join Our Discord

                Comment


                  #9
                  You do realize that if you try to dissect an object mesh into multiple parts, then source it out to multiple artists, you'll get garbage back, right?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                    You do realize that if you try to dissect an object mesh into multiple parts, then source it out to multiple artists, you'll get garbage back, right?
                    In my model, Dissection is the process of spiting the Entity's Design into multiple pieces for authoring interchangeable parts (meshes), using Modular Entity Construction (UMECHS).

                    To be honest, I would need an example of proof for that claim. There are a myriad of games that offer players customization options using modular interchangeable parts. They obvious use a specification to ensure parts are compatible. We will do the similar.
                    HeadlessStudios.com - S P A G H E T T I: Ninja Swords, Guns & Monsters & Other S**t! - Join Our Discord

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Different artists have different styles and workflows, and they won't be working directly together, so you'll get all kinds of bizarre discrepancies and inconsistencies. If you want something that works together consistently, you won't get it this way without a huge amount of stress and additional work. Using the UT3 characters is a really poor example. They are singular skeletal meshes created by a single artist - the mesh (and it's associated parts) is even mapped to a single set of texture sheets (with the exception of faces).

                      I'm guessing you haven't spoken to any game artists about your suggestion.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by TechLord View Post
                        and open to both good and bad critique.
                        Gee, you mean I get to compete against other artists, spend a lot of time building/unwrapping/texturing a section of a model in the hopes that a client would select it and graft it onto several other people's work? And if mine isn't picked, it's thrown into the reject bargain bin for others to pick up those crumbs?

                        Sounds GRRRRREAT!!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                          If you're going to ask for people to submit for free then just do that---those design competitions are ridiculous, if you're working for a job you would get paid a lot more than that, for the people who's work doesn't get chosen they get nothing for their time.
                          This whole crowdsourcing work thing is a pretty greasy system that only serves to lowball and undercut people who are desperate for any kind of work or recognition. There are some indie companies and teams out there that do this kind of thing under the guise of mapping competitions and the like. Really underhanded stuff but a great way for cheap developers to get custom work for free I guess...?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            It is an interesting topic, but it is possibly to much to the advantage of the developer... it really depends on:
                            - the complexity of the asset requested
                            - if the modeler already has something similar in his asset portfolio

                            so it really ends up in the time invested by the modeler to produce the asset.

                            I am quite familiar with the Unity asset store, and a weak point it has is that actually modelers (or programmers) have to "guess" what assets are needed by the community, so basically end up publishing their existing assets in most cases....

                            Probably a better system would be something where potential buyers and potential deliverers describe what they need or plan to produce (i.e. realistic city buildings) , providing some quickly created preliminary design and the other part can somehow vote their interest in it. If there's enough interest then the deliverer will actually produce it (not very different from trello's UE roadmap )


                            I think the conceipt needs to be refined but could work....

                            Fred
                            Last edited by fred64; 06-30-2014, 09:52 AM.
                            C++ BP Developer. working on Airland Helicopters, an helicopter rescue sim developed in Unreal https://www.helisimmer.com/airland

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                              Different artists have different styles and workflows, and they won't be working directly together, so you'll get all kinds of bizarre discrepancies and inconsistencies. If you want something that works together consistently, you won't get it this way without a huge amount of stress and additional work. Using the UT3 characters is a really poor example. They are singular skeletal meshes created by a single artist - the mesh (and it's associated parts) is even mapped to a single set of texture sheets (with the exception of faces).

                              I'm guessing you haven't spoken to any game artists about your suggestion.
                              Correct, I have not spoken with game artist, which is a purpose in this discussion. I do appreciate your feedback. The premise behind UMECHS is to provide a Workflow, Art Guides, and Specification in which multiple Artist who participate in this model can independently author interchangeable parts. It requires R & D to test its feasibility. I have some homework to do in this area.

                              Originally posted by Chicken+Ribs Combo View Post
                              Gee, you mean I get to compete against other artists, spend a lot of time building/unwrapping/texturing a section of a model in the hopes that a client would select it and graft it onto several other people's work? And if mine isn't picked, it's thrown into the reject bargain bin for others to pick up those crumbs?

                              Sounds GRRRRREAT!!
                              Its a health competition and participation is optional. But, I understand the negative connotation. This model is inspired by power of collaboration from an online community such as this. Time is a major consideration, I presume that focus on a smaller part, requires less time to produce. If the part isn't selected by a Game Dev, Designers have the option to place it the Marketplace to expose and resell to the world under non-exclusive licensing. That part may be the very part someone else is looking for. One person's crumb in the reject bargain bin, is another person's treasure!

                              Originally posted by Chicken+Ribs Combo View Post
                              This whole crowdsourcing work thing is a pretty greasy system that only serves to lowball and undercut people who are desperate for any kind of work or recognition. There are some indie companies and teams out there that do this kind of thing under the guise of mapping competitions and the like. Really underhanded stuff but a great way for cheap developers to get custom work for free I guess...?
                              I disagree with your statement to lowball and undercut. I do agree that I'm cheap: a solo code-centric game dev with little budget. I desire distinctive entities at affordable prices. For me, this is a major dilemma. I realized MMORPGs provide millions of Players distinct Characters with Modularity and Customization. My model couples this form of Modularity with Crowdsourcing. Its a new paradigm, it doesn't exist so, why not explore this concept? You never know what could be the next big hit on the World Wide Web.
                              HeadlessStudios.com - S P A G H E T T I: Ninja Swords, Guns & Monsters & Other S**t! - Join Our Discord

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X