Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building an RPG with Unreal Book - Anyone Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building an RPG with Unreal Book - Anyone Read?

Just looking to find out of anyone has read this book and whether it's any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Building-RPG-U.../dp/1782175636

Thanks!
    Last edited by FatBalloon; 03-29-2016, 01:21 PM.
    Raids of the Fallen - A Co-op FPS Dungeon Raiding Game

Haven't read the book, but from the looks of it, it is very heavily C++ oriented. I clicked the "Look Inside" link on Amazon, and was able to go through several pages. Very detailed from what I can tell. Looks to be 300+ pages on how to setup exactly what I'm wanting to do. I'm not very good with C++, but might pick it up since it's on the subject I am interested in the most. Maybe it's time for me to learn C++...

If anyone else has read this, could they share their thoughts?

Comment

I just ordered it, so I'll post back when I have a review.
      Raids of the Fallen - A Co-op FPS Dungeon Raiding Game

Comment

Awesome, thanks a ton!

Comment

I bought it, tried to use it and got stumped in Chapter 3, the book uses 4.7.x and I started in 4.10.1, I even backtracked to 4.8.3 and the code base in UnReal changed to the point I couldn't make it work. Biggest problem was no way to contact Author or a good forum stream for answers, maybe I will try and see if anyone here gone through book with current version of Engine and resolved the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by LordRhys View Post
            I bought it, tried to use it and got stumped in Chapter 3, the book uses 4.7.x and I started in 4.10.1, I even backtracked to 4.8.3 and the code base in UnReal changed to the point I couldn't make it work. Biggest problem was no way to contact Author or a good forum stream for answers, maybe I will try and see if anyone here gone through book with current version of Engine and resolved the issues.
            That's the same problem I'm having with the documentation and videos. What ever happened to the MajorChange.MinorChange numbering format? Or am I just too old that I expect 4.11 and 4.7 to operate in exactly the same manner, but 4.11 and 5.1 could be totally different. It seems like they're going MajorOverhaul.MajorChange.MinorChange. UGH!

Comment

You have the option to install the 4.7.x version of the engine, so you would be able to work out of the book.

Comment

Read it, and followed the whole book through. The differences between 4.7 and 4.11 were pretty easy to deal with. However, I found the practices in the book to be sub par at best.

It describes the setting of the game being constructed as a tower where you fight your way up floors to the final villain. NONE of this is done in the book. It doesn't even devise a system for random encounters with enemies. Instead, it relies on you running a console command to initiate "battle".

I understand it might be trying to build a framework you can run with, but I don't even think it does a good job of that.

Several of the systems you end up creating feel hard-coded. Especially the blueprint UMG inventory and equipment systems. If we were truly creating a framework to re-use or start from, then the code should reflect that with some easy to modify, modular code.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandelan View Post
                  Read it, and followed the whole book through. The differences between 4.7 and 4.11 were pretty easy to deal with. However, I found the practices in the book to be sub par at best.

It describes the setting of the game being constructed as a tower where you fight your way up floors to the final villain. NONE of this is done in the book. It doesn't even devise a system for random encounters with enemies. Instead, it relies on you running a console command to initiate "battle".

I understand it might be trying to build a framework you can run with, but I don't even think it does a good job of that.

Several of the systems you end up creating feel hard-coded. Especially the blueprint UMG inventory and equipment systems. If we were truly creating a framework to re-use or start from, then the code should reflect that with some easy to modify, modular code.
                  I have to agree. I bought the book hoping to find something more complete but to be honest it's not very good.

Too many hardcoded things, a lot of C++ which I don't really have an issue with but not enough info on how to extend the game. A lot of the game seems incomplete. There is just a lot missing imo. We would have been better served with a tutorial series on Udemy or something like that can be updated, extended etc.

It would be nice to get a blueprint tutorial for an RPG. I've made due by scouring youtube for tutorials and some of them are pretty **** good. I just have to fill in the missing pieces and I can kind of translate some of the stuff this book to blueprints in most cases.

Either Id say save your money.

Comment

It's a Packt book, so there is a very good chance it will be poorly written by a non-professional author and poorly proof-read. Poor in all aspects I suspect.

They seem to be flooding the market at the moment but I now avoid them at all cost.

Comment

If you are the same as me and there are a lot of me's out there..
                      The solution to Chapter 3, invisible man..
                      LordRhys "I bought it, tried to use it and got stumped in Chapter 3, the book uses 4.7.x and I started in 4.10.1, I even backtracked to 4.8.3 and the code base in UnReal changed to the point I couldn't make it work."

You must revisit
                      Edit>Project Settings Maps&Modes- Default GameModes
                      The set it to your newly made DefaultRPGGameMode Blueprint

Comment

Unfortunately, the book quickly obsolete.
                        Epic, you are too fast sawing engine ))

Comment

Did any of you get anything useful out of this book? I had hopes to use it as a foundation to learn and make my own blueprints, but after previewing the combat chapter and the bad reviews, I'm not so sure anymore. I "only" wish for a working turn based battle system so I can start doing artwork. Why haven't someone made a FF inspired blueprint combat engine on marketplace yet? I'd be the first to buy!

Comment

I just started reading it. One of the first things I like to do is go to the end to see the final result of what all this hard work will be, and there isn't one! There's not a single screenshot of what this game will look like. I imagine I'm going to waste a lot of time and not have much to show for it. I also anticipate tons of coding problems, with things not matching up and running correctly. Has anyone ever finished this?
                            Matthew Slanchik Game Design and Development
                            www.Slanchik.com

Comment

If you're quick to the topic you can snatch the book for $1 off the latest book Humble bundle right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X