CryEngine becomes free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adik View Post
    Is there really such a difference between C++ and C# ? From what i have read the only difference is that c++ is like more complex ?

Yes and No... C++ and C# share traits along with many popular scripting languages, which in turn stem from earlier simpler languages like C etc.
    In short, you're not looking at huge differences like going from procedural to recursive languages i.e. Lisp, which is hellish to get your head around.

Raw C++ has headers, pointers, object oriented structures, and memory management to contend with. Low level stuff not everyone likes. But, UE4's C++ is simplified.
    However C# is far simpler, and Unity C# goes even further because of its componentized nature. Unity C# is so simple, its almost like creating macros in Microsoft Office.
    Unfortunately, Tim S has made it abundantly clear, that even if C# is added to unreal engine, it will not be componentized like Unity C# is. So is it worth holding out for?
    Last edited by UnrealEnterprise; 03-17-2016, 12:20 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What are the BEST Unreal Tutorials / Docs? There are none tbh... Here's why
    Instead its better to just take projects apart (see the free 'creators' listed here)

Comment

Coding is really not my thing... Is there really such a difference between C++ and C# ? From what i have read the only difference is that c++ is like more complex ?
      Unless you speak of C++ interpreter, managed C++, the difference is vast!
      With C#, you do not have to think about memory management, garbage collector will do it for you. Also you do not have to think about underlying hardware and OS as they are abstracted out. C# is purely object oriented. You do not have to think about
      translation units, encapsulation based on translation units, compilation complexities. You purely just write logic and it works! This is what should have always been for gameplay programming. When there is something very performance critical, you can always C++ that away.

The drawback is performance. Depending upon the runtime and technology used for C#, speed may be slower in C# than in C++. That is the tradeoff for productivity and pointer-reference-const-cast-etc oriented bug fix. C++ is very powerful but it tend to make the code creeping with bugs. For example:

1. You create an object to the heap and you forgot to delete it
      2. You const cast a variable and the code is acting weird as you played with the casting system
      3. You declared a pointer but forgot to initialize it Or you later re-initialize it to a wrong location!
      4. You pointed a pointer to a location in a scope but using it to another scope.
      etc etc

That being said, I would code in Asm/C/C++ when it is something engine related and would code in Java/C# when it is gameplay related.
      Married to CG. Lets begin the revolution.

Licensed Playstation Developer

Comment

What kind of FB Group?

Comment

Originally posted by KillingWord View Post
          wondering what any of these engines have to offer that unreal does not.
          Full realtime rendering in CryEngine is still higher quality and faster than it is in Unreal.
          From minor things, there are more build in IK options in CryEngine (for grabbing things, foot ik, ladder ik), these not deal breakers, but they do help.
          https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaucephal View Post
            Strange, I've been registered for UE4 pretty-much since day 1, even back in the subscription days, and I don't remember anything like that happening. Must have passed me by. I've asked if I can have my accounts removed from their databases in the meantime. Hopefully one day I'll be able to re-register when they've got their act together.
            Cool story bro.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
              Full realtime rendering in CryEngine is still higher quality and faster than it is in Unreal.
              From minor things, there are more build in IK options in CryEngine (for grabbing things, foot ik, ladder ik), these not deal breakers, but they do help.
              i understand from other posts that indeed there is some interesting tech behind these alternatives. someone wrote cryengine has even volumetric scattering which is right up my alley. personally though, it comes down on how helpful and welcoming the community is. without it, there is no chance of me learning anything.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                The issue about CryEngine is the lack of templates, examples projects and video tutorials.

Comment

...which is a non starter for many and a backbone of any community. competition can only bring good things tho.

Comment

The lack of Templates and Tutorials is of course a down side, hopefully they will change it.
                    So C# is slower than C++ but easier to leran or to handle, ok got it, i think it is time to dig deeper to the coding world.

Comment

Thats absolutly right competition is always good... Beside of the terrible pipelone, i think somem people here don't understand what they get. I'm still waiting for these "next gen" features coming to UE4.
                      1. Volumetric Light and Fog
                      2. Volumetric Clouds
                      3. Fully dynamic light and GI with acceptable FPS
                      4. Directx 12
                      And this are just some of the features... Fully access to the source code and you can release your game for 0 roys on PC, Xbox One and PS4.
                      This is major competition! I'm very curious what UE4 will come up with... especially with the new release.
                      Originally posted by Antigen View Post
                      5. amazing embedded water
                      6. day-night and weather system
                      7. top quality skin shader
                      8. road tool
                      9. vegetation

KE is not just engine, it's a set of tools. That's why asset pipeline is so complex. It is just different, I don't understand how one can compare KE with UE4.
                      ^ That +

- The included modeling tool in Cryengine
                      - Automatic model LODs generator free included
                      - Automatic normal map generators free included
                      - Example of all type of vehicles.
                      - Realtime breakable and deformable models....
                      - Voxel realtime light
                      - Voxel Terrain...

Just waiting here to Epìc Games since 2 years ago to get someone of that features...

I think Cryengine don't have a own UI system and you need use a external tool, and got some many more cons, But I would like know if Epic Games will add something of what other engines ( Cryengine / Unity ...) got today but Unreal Engine no as the GI, the volumetric lights, the volumetric fog etc
                      Last edited by Hevedy; 03-17-2016, 09:40 AM.
                      Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
                      Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Originally posted by Hevedy View Post
                        ^ That +

- The included modeling tool in Cryengine
                        - Automatic model LODs generator free included
                        - Automatic normal map generators free included
                        - Example of all type of vehicles.
                        - Realtime breakable and deformable models....
                        - Voxel realtime light
                        - Voxel Terrain...

Just waiting here to Epìc Games since 2 years ago to get someone of that features...

I think Cryengine don't have a own UI system and you need use a external tool, and got some many more cons, But I would like know if Epic Games will add something of what other engines ( Cryengine / Unity ...) got today but Unreal Engine no as the GI, the volumetric lights, the volumetric fog etc
                        I agree, the volumetric cloud support is ace(Simul TruSky seems so... unfinished?)
                        The LOD Generator is now deprecated as of 5.0.0! So I'd stop mentioning that as a +.

One thing that is interesting is Cryteks own Blueprint-like visual scripting language CryFlow.

I've tested the engine for half an hour and it feels so unbelievably bad. My god, I haven't seen such a bad UI in like forever. Even Unity has a way more intuitive UI. The preferences menu is a joke, where the **** can I change render settings and stuff?
                        As of right now, the engine is just... horrible to use and I work with both UE4 and Unity, so I have at least a bit of knowledge.

Comment

I talk about included features at no more cost, even you can get the whole engine for free.

*Yeah but the CryFlow is more level designer and animation focus, not for much more.

Comment

1) As mentioned, Cryengie no longer has automatic LOD generation.
                            2) Automatic normal map generators are a waste of time, and there are free external tools out there that do the same terrible job anyway.
                            3) This isn't a game engine feature, so isn't really relevant. PhysX wheeled vehicles are **** in UE4 though, someone needs to sort that out, it's been horrendous for years :/
                            4) Cryengine's destructibles / deformables don't do anything UE4 doesn't also do (and require creation in an external tool like Maya)
                            5) Cryengine does not have a voxel based lighting system.
                            6) You're always talking about Cryengine's voxel terrain (you've been going on about it for months), but can never explain why it's supposedly better than UE4's landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                              1) As mentioned, Cryengie no longer has automatic LOD generation.
                              2) Automatic normal map generators are a waste of time, and there are free external tools out there that do the same terrible job anyway.
                              3) This isn't a game engine feature, so isn't really relevant. PhysX wheeled vehicles are **** in UE4 though, someone needs to sort that out, it's been horrendous for years :/
                              4) Cryengine's destructibles / deformables don't do anything UE4 doesn't also do (and require creation in an external tool like Maya)
                              5) Cryengine does not have a voxel based lighting system.
                              6) You're always talking about Cryengine's voxel terrain (you've been going on about it for months), but can never explain why it's supposedly better than UE4's landscape.
                              The 4, in Cryengine you can cut as fast example the trees in realtime, something you can't do in UE4, and about the 6 the fast example is the caves, you can't create caves in UE4 only with meshes.
                              About the 5 Cryengine yeah got a voxel based light

Don't rage with other just because you don't want see the reality.

Please mod/marketplace creator, next time talk when you know something or got even resources.

Do you have some problem with me ? other said other things I can't say nothing ?
                              Last edited by Hevedy; 03-17-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by misterjackz View Post
                                The pipeline is still a nightmare, especially if you don't have $4000 software like Max and Maya..

You can get student versions of 3Ds Max and Maya. You cannot use the same 3 years student licence on a new version of 3Ds Max and Maya, but after those 3 years a new version of 3Ds Max and Maya have safly been realesed and you can get a updated student licence. Then you can use the toolset for Cryengine to import your own models without having to buy a subscription. But then you cannot use your models for commersial purposes. I agree the process to get your own asset into Cryengine is too long and in UnrealEngine it is just drag and drop. Why cant they just have this in Cryengine too?
                                Last edited by ÅsmundSchei; 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM.
                                System
                                ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

ArtStation
                                Artwork thread

Comment

Working...
                                X