CryEngine becomes free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=11397]franktech[/MENTION]

that editor sure does look nice but with the crossoperability these days, cant say its indispensable.

i am personally more excited by procedural level design - seen some guy developing automatic level creator with layout editor, with randomize feature and all that mess.

coupled with houdini engine which i think went free two days ago, its hard to beat the epic momentum.
    btw - go get that houdini engine seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by SAIF PUNK View Post
      with old school mentality
      Can you at least explain why?
      You have to get with the times. This is a new chapter in game engines. Is about getting it done and empowering fellow artists that in the past had to live in the shadows of programmers and their voice when mute. The reason clickteam fusion, construct 2 and many more visual programming engines are still around is due to their simplicity. Simplicity is elegance. Unreal is super powerful and the easier it gets the more of that power you get to hardness. Cryengine is also powerful, but is like a nightmare to get any logic done. So the old school mentality is simply not knowing any better and still thinking is a programmers arena.
      I see Unreal being use one day by Wetta and many Hollywood studios for pre-visualization or even taking it from concept to production. The magic happens when the engine allows you to explore all its power without scratching your head or writing a line of code.

Comment

Originally posted by KillingWord View Post
        [MENTION=11397]franktech[/MENTION]

that editor sure does look nice but with the crossoperability these days, cant say its indispensable.
        i am personally more excited by procedural level design -
        coupled with houdini engine which i think went free two days ago, its hard to beat the epic momentum.
        btw - go get that houdini engine seriously.
        I love procedural stuff too. It's such cool tech sometimes!
        Offtopic for a nudge but how quick is the cooking and update of Houdini assets in Unreal?
        I watched the demo ofc. and can't make up my mind on it.
        Is it highly usable or just more of a gimmick for the moment?
        https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

Originally posted by Stormwiz View Post
          You have to get with the times. This is a new chapter in game engines. Is about getting it done and empowering fellow artists that in the past had to live in the shadows of programmers and their voice when mute. The reason clickteam fusion, construct 2 and many more visual programming engines are still around is due to their simplicity. Simplicity is elegance. Unreal is super powerful and the easier it gets the more of that power you get to hardness. Cryengine is also powerful, but is like a nightmare to get any logic done. So the old school mentality is simply not knowing any better and still thinking is a programmers arena.
          I see Unreal being use one day by Wetta and many Hollywood studios for pre-visualization or even taking it from concept to production. The magic happens when the engine allows you to explore all its power with scratching your head or writing a line of code.
          i like how you are thinking and feel exactly the same.
          these engines and games by extension are more and more becoming an "artistic" medium.

todays example:
          http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11...-another-world

games will and should be authored by smaller and smaller teams and even individuals. that will results in a more uncompromising artistic vision and will open up the creative arena immensely. combined with vr i really feel euphoric about the future, and is the main reason i personally picked up unreal.

imo it is a sort of liberation that came with the new wave in cinema where larger studios were dying out and auteurs saved movie as an artform.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
            I love procedural stuff too. It's such cool tech sometimes!
            Offtopic for a nudge but how quick is the cooking and update of Houdini assets in Unreal?
            I watched the demo ofc. and can't make up my mind on it.
            Is it highly usable or just more of a gimmick for the moment?
            yet to dip my toes tbh as i am just few weeks into unreal. now its free i have no excuse

played with standalone houdini a bit, only for fluids are volumetric stuff tho. the curve is huge but sideffects too is working on a assets store (bit quiet over there) which practically excludes the need to do stuff from scratch.

from what i have seen, the workflow is seamless. fire in unreal acts like fire from houdini. no idea how the hell its cached or anything. looks like black magic to me.

Comment

Hi,
              Thanks for the link. The art is very beautiful. The next logical step for this industry is to bridge the gap across many mediums. It looks like they got the vr, arch viz and game dev cover. Next stop, Hollywood. By shortening the learning curve or having easier access to the powerful tools we could start creating not just typical games, but interactive games. Games where it feels more like a movie and you're in the driver's seat making the decisions and changing the outcome of the story. Every time you play the game is like watching a movie, but with a different ending.

Comment

personally i think movie as a medium is obsolete and the system surrounding it toxic.
                i would like to see gaming engines facilitate complete emancipation from all industries and spawn a completely new form of expression that exist in the wild. i think this is probable.

Comment

Well I just triad to log into the cryengine launcher and their server is down. It appears you have to be online in order to develop your game.

So we have
                  always online
                  training and answerhub hidden behind paywall (which may change once people start making youtube videos)
                  No substance (painter/designer) support, something even lumberyard will be getting
                  A pipeline that sucks unless you have other "expensive" software tools (Maya 3ds max)
                  An EULA that is more complex than US tax law

All this and some of you still believe their is a competition going on?

Comment

personally i think movie as a medium is obsolete and the system surrounding it toxic.
                    i would like to see gaming engines facilitate complete emancipation from all industries and spawn a completely new form of expression that exist in the wild. i think this is probable.
                    Is certainly heading in that direction. Who would of thought just a while back to use game engines for arch viz. I would not waste my time learning a new engine where they can't even market because is a black box at the end of the day. By the time they realize how wrong/backwards they were. Unreal would be in all the industries as the editor of choice for all things entertainment plus.

Comment

What are you talking about ? Of course there is comprtition going on. Jesus they just release cryengine V like 15 hours ago.
                      What they are offering is a fantastic game engine for free. Of course it's not perfect, of course they have to fix more things like the pipeline or SpeedTree and Substance support.
                      You think back when UE4 started we had Speedtree and Substance support ? No matter which engine we are talking about Unity5, UE4 or Cryengine, every engine has his + and - aspects.
                      Just counting down some points that you don't like or are missing after the release is 15 hours ago makes no sense.

Be open to other engines and be happy that they is competition, some people here sound like they are in a UE4 Cult, this is the engine the one and only, jesus.
                      Last edited by A-J-K; 03-16-2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=11397]i am personally more excited by procedural level design - seen some guy developing automatic level creator with layout editor, with randomize feature and all that mess. coupled with houdini engine which i think went free two days ago, its hard to beat the epic momentum.btw - go get that houdini engine seriously.
                        Not even released yet but I'm already a massive fan of the work of Hello Games / NMS.
                        Their organic rules based system creates such natural looking procedural everything...

Anyone used Houdini enough to know what the trade off is time-wise versus old school methods?
                        There's nice city building clips on YT. But its hard to get a real idea of how much prep work there is...

Comment

Still haven't fixed their pipeline?

How many years has it been?

Comment

I have no issue with competition, but the simply fact is crytek is not at the level of their competitors. As for cryengine 5 just being released, that makes very little difference when Crytek is still

1. Using some confusing EULA
                            2. Refuse to fix their import pipeline
                            3. Still poor support Look at the support UE and Unity give their customers "for free" compared to what Crytek.

No doubt all engines get things added as time goes by, problem is that Cryengine has been doing the same thing over and over again. As someone on this thread already discussed Crytek is taking way to long to change, their dev community has been shrinking for years and it appears Cryengine 5 is not going to refuse that trend

Comment

These are some nice improvements of CryEngine, but I don't believe in their business model and their community is nearly non-existent. As a dev I don't dare to invest myself into this, thinking they'll go bankrupt any second now.

Comment

Yes they are differences, UE4 has a big community, they have a really big support, in my opinion the best support of all engines.
                                Crytek made a lot of mistakes, i think the indie engine business was even not so important for them. When it comes to support from Epic there is no competition, i'm 100% with you.
                                But when talking about technology, like i wrote before Cryengine has more "next gen" features than any other engine, Volumetric light, Volumetric Fog, Volumetric Clouds,Full Dynmic Light / GI, extrem good looking shaders etc...
                                Of course not every one needs this features, thats why i wrote every engine has his + and -. So and imgaine they add a new pipeline some support for Substance and other applications and on top you pay nothing, there are no roys. This is not just competition this is almost madness to offer such a engine for 0% roys. And becasue of this and the full source code, i believe they're community will start to grow. But we will see... what happend next, i'm very curious.
                                Last edited by A-J-K; 03-16-2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X