No announcement yet.

CryEngine becomes free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"lumberyard" but i guess that would make the userbase the "lumberjacks".
    thats marketing dudes for you: "so doing games is like a workshop, right, what is good synonym? what sounds manly? oh i know!.

i dont fault the names though. unreal sounds a bit silly too.
    however it seems to me that these engines are being thrown at unreal left at right while it is comfortably eating grapes at the throne.

just imagine, autodesk has an "also ran" engine they are asking 30$ monthly for. now that is some funny ish.

Comment

Ah yes my bad..well, got half the word right I find 'Unreal' to be at least a bit catchy. That matters right?
      'Lumberyard' to me comes across like they weren't even serious when setting things up. It almost feels like a hint
      to those suspecting it was just a financial bailout and they needed something for the books to make it work.
      Probably reading way too much into this though!
      https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

UE4 and Cryengine are my engines to go... Lumberyard i don't know, for me it will always be a Cryengine knock off. They spend 70 millions for the license, but like 50 USD for the whole brand and the webite.
        But like many here wrote before, competition is always good.

Comment

yeh, it comes off bit lame i have to admit.

so is lumberyard basically the same as crytek? ui looks pretty much identical.

Comment

Originally posted by KillingWord View Post
            so is lumberyard basically the same as crytek? ui looks pretty much identical.
            It's a modified version of some kind of past-tense CryEngine version.
            You can freely translate that into 'Outdated and worse'.

Comment

Lumberyard is a modified version of Cryengine 3.8.1, Amazon just reorganized, added and deleted a few things but they have nothing to do with crytek.

Comment

thanks guys. sounds entirely pointless but i suppose amazon has money to burn.
                wondering what any of these engines have to offer that unreal does not.
                not that i´d switch. apart from the tech i am amazed with the community epic cultivates.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                  Unreal is also full of those little blockers.
                  But instead i call them "kicking contest with a horse", its impossible to win. You go around one you get kick from another side.
                  This stuff is probably impossible to avoid in any complicated software. Moment you try to do something that devs did not design code for, you are into lots of pain.
                  Best example of this in unreal is UMG, try to use it with multitouch input, or try to make simple "fire" button that registers if you pressed it, does not get stuck when you slide finger outside area, etc. Or when you slide in one finger and slide out another. UMG (i suspect this) was made for mouse interface, realy goes "Whut?!" when you have more than single pointer.

And competition is good, look at microsoft what they do in areas where they do not have competition.
                  This.

When we were working on SSP in Unreal, it was far outside the scope of predicted development. We ran into wall, after wall, after wall. Once we switched to Unity, which was more friendly to 2D development (example: animation events for 2d), things went a lot better. I imagine the same walls would exist in Unity trying to cross back into Unreal's turf.

This being said... Cryengine has made some really dumbfounding design choices, that are not excusable or good for the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                    It's a modified version of some kind of past-tense CryEngine version.
                    You can freely translate that into 'Outdated and worse'.
                    The main Lumberyard launch thread had links to the differences iirc.
                    LY at the very least has updated networking and some editor changes etc.
                    But the timing is awful. How do you differentiate one from the other.
                    In time, the plan is for LY to walk its own path, but for now it creates FUD!

Comment

Both Cryengine and Lumberyard will never get the audience expected simply because they are still thinking with old school mentality. Epic has the greatest engine not because is the highest fidelity (which could arguably be) or the strongest community support which it does, because of Blueprint. Until they get the head out of the clouds it would remain a black box for coders and artist will steer 180. Is simply kryptonite for artist and a pain the *** for coders.

Comment

Originally posted by KillingWord View Post
                        wondering what any of these engines have to offer that unreal does not.
                        LY & Cry has one stand-out feature I wish was in UE4: Advanced Editor Level Design Tools.

Comment

waiting for UE4's March.17
                          | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by Stormwiz View Post
                            Both Cryengine and Lumberyard will never get the audience expected simply because they are still thinking with old school mentality. Epic has the greatest engine not because is the highest fidelity (which could arguably be) or the strongest community support which it does, because of Blueprint. Until they get the head out of the clouds it would remain a black box for coders and artist will steer 180. Is simply kryptonite for artist and a pain the *** for coders.
                            Yeah but that's exactly why it's a pity they struggle so much staying even marginally above the radar.
                            I don't have particular high hopes for the future of CryEngine either but every so now and then I throw quite the envious look at the stuff it can (and already could years ago) do where UE4 -hopefully- will catch up one day.

Comment

Also with all the money Amazon has you would think they wanna make the dev site at least half decent. That thing looks like an anemic version of Craig's list. They got some growing pains if they want to hang with the big dogs.

Why is it so hard for both LY & Cry to figure out what's really lacking with their engine. I see plugins developers for Unity that have a shoe string for a budget and yet they are able to whip up beautiful tools like Behavior Designer, Playmaker, Shader Forge to name a few. Why is so confusing for these companies to realized what they must do. With all that money and latent. Is like the quails that thinks is smarter than the average bird and yet it sleeps on the ground awaiting a snake.
                              Last edited by Stormwiz; 03-16-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormwiz View Post
                                with old school mentality
                                Can you at least explain why?

Not everyone prefers blueprint and C#. The main reason i and some other use Unreal and Cry is because they have C++ programming available. These softwares can help me and some other get experience in game programming to get a job in game industry. (I know Cryengine lacks documentation.) <-- Kind of off-topic i know. Worth mentioning though.

Let's stop bashing Crytek and other companies before civilised members leave this forum.
                                Thanks.
                                Thanks Epic!

Comment

Working...
                                X