No announcement yet.

CryEngine becomes free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ I now remember why I've been avoiding this community.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      And remember competition is good, every time Unity or Cryengine get better so does Unreal Engine
      That's the only reason why I want CryTek to push their engine.

[MENTION=4408]WarGoat[/MENTION] It looks like you are not better, even worse.
      Last edited by SchnitzelDude; 03-16-2016, 07:04 AM.

Game Design - Photogrammetry - Programming
      Tutorials · Twitter · Twitch

Comment

Now we need Epic to give us C#.

Comment

Originally posted by SAIF PUNK View Post
          Crytek needs to learn marketing from Epic.
          I think thats what they do. With giving away the Engine for free, opening a marketplace, even getting something like AnswerHub. Seems to me they try to copy some of the best features of UE4

Would love to give CryEngine a try, but it seems like the website is down... Can anyone download CryEngine atm?

Comment

Originally posted by savagebeasty View Post
            certainly no raging fan boy, Cryengine is a dog. It's the engine I started out on, loved the level editing tools and landscapes but trying to do anything useful on it is a waste of time.

Cryengine is like an EA game, seems amazing for the first 5 minutes, the more you use it the more you come to loathe everything about it. Especially Cry-Adam....

One example for you, ragdoll physics. Good luck being able to do anything with a model once it's gone into a ragdoll state, once it comes to rest you can't affect it anymore...because of German law.........unless you want to change the source code which was impossible without a million pound licence back then.

All those little irritating blockers soon add up till it becomes pointless to carry on using it.

Actually the thing that put the nail in the coffin for me, changing the damage value of the melee attack would cause the game to crash when you hit another skeletal mesh.....
            Unreal is also full of those little blockers.
            But instead i call them "kicking contest with a horse", its impossible to win. You go around one you get kick from another side.
            This stuff is probably impossible to avoid in any complicated software. Moment you try to do something that devs did not design code for, you are into lots of pain.
            Best example of this in unreal is UMG, try to use it with multitouch input, or try to make simple "fire" button that registers if you pressed it, does not get stuck when you slide finger outside area, etc. Or when you slide in one finger and slide out another. UMG (i suspect this) was made for mouse interface, realy goes "Whut?!" when you have more than single pointer.

And competition is good, look at microsoft what they do in areas where they do not have competition.

Comment

Thats absolutly right competition is always good... Beside of the terrible pipelone, i think somem people here don't understand what they get. I'm still waiting for these "next gen" features coming to UE4.
              1. Volumetric Light and Fog
              2. Volumetric Clouds
              3. Fully dynamic light and GI with acceptable FPS
              4. Directx 12
              And this are just some of the features... Fully access to the source code and you can release your game for 0 roys on PC, Xbox One and PS4.
              This is major competition! I'm very curious what UE4 will come up with... especially with the new release.
              @ Nawrot, i see it the same way.
              Last edited by A-J-K; 03-16-2016, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Galeon View Post
                Now we need Epic to give us C#.
                This. UE4 desperately needs official C# support. There should always be a clear distinction between engine programming and gameplay programming. And the rendering part should really use encapsulation better. Just look at unity's one. Custom shader is a pain in UE4 period.
                Married to CG. Lets begin the revolution.

Licensed Playstation Developer

Comment

The asset pipeline for CryEngine is nothing short of a disaster when compared to Unreal.
                  It actually is the single main thing that made me switch.

That said, in terms of advanced lighting and shading features, CryEngine has always been very good.
                  Pixel Perfect displacement, very nice water, SVOGI in development and all gems Adik already mentions.
                  They even used to have a voxel painter. Buggy as hell but when it worked it was pretty cool

Anyways, good for them they are looking for new ways. I wish them all the best!
                  https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

CryEngine V? Wow, these guys are not giving up. I have to admire that.
                    I wonder what they will bring to the game development party!!!
                    Check out my itch.io page, I'm really excited about it.
                    https://kinos141.itch.io/

Please check out my AI package: Action AI System Feat. Stealth
                    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...m-feat-stealth
                    or get it from itch
                    https://kinos141.itch.io/action-ai-system-feat-stealth

Comment

For the pipeline you are right, importing textures is a nightmare... Getting your meshes into cryengine is actually really nice if you have maya or max. One click and your mesh is imported... i would love to have this option for UE4.
                      Of course all the people not using Max or Maya are scr.... and this is something they have to change casue just a very few people "not talking about pro studios" have the money to afford max or maya.

Comment

Finally the penny dropped for the folks at crytek But there community of devs were not around anymore to even hear it.
                        I started out with that engine 2 years ago when it was free, and while I was making slow progress i was dumbfounded at the lack of Not being able to export/import FBX format drirectly to engine and there total lack of Vision in supporting VR while the community was asking for basic support and seeing UNITY & UE4 adopt it out of the gate.
                        Then CRYENGINE went subscription only too.
                        Like many others I abandon it and jumped to UE4 As soon as my DK2 arrived ,and wont be returning to relearn what Ive already forgotten about cryengine in-favour of the awesome UE4 Pipeline and ease of use.

Yeah they really only have themselves to blame for there situation as they have just made a series of bad decisions over the last few years.
                        Last edited by AlphaWolF; 03-16-2016, 11:42 AM.
                        https://www.artstation.com/alphawolf
                        https://www.deviantart.com/alphawolf-uk/gallery
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaWoIFuk/videos

Comment

wasnt crytek bought out by amazon though?
                          would that mean they have two engines in the wild now?

so happy with unreal. my new and only BFF.

Comment

No amazon bought or let's better say licensed cryteks technology for 70 mullion USD.
                            Yes they did a lot and i mean a lot of mistakes in the past, massive mistakes... But if they keep they're new cours the will become very quicly very interessting for a lot of devs.
                            They have very good technology in they're engine and you can use it for free, this will attract a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by KillingWord View Post
                              wasnt crytek bought out by amazon though?
                              would that mean they have two engines in the wild now?
                              Amazon paid Crytek for a custom CryEngine license called 'Lumberjack' (Ahahahahaha...really that name...who the hell came up with that? )
                              One could consider this a 'emergency bailout' cause I doubt without it we'd see all these fancypants thingies happening over at Crytek right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Adik View Post
                                For the pipeline you are right, importing textures is a nightmare... Getting your meshes into cryengine is actually really nice if you have maya or max. One click and your mesh is imported... i would love to have this option for UE4.
                                Of course all the people not using Max or Maya are scr.... and this is something they have to change casue just a very few people "not talking about pro studios" have the money to afford max or maya.
                                Yeah the updates from within Max are kinda nice if you are working on a game with pretty hardcore assets in terms of geometry that's clean and proper.
                                If however, you work with 3th-party stuff that's often dirty and in need of cleanup, I find UE4 way more forgiving.
                                Often I found myself unable to get through the 'depricated faces' wall of the Max exporter.
                                Totally see why that's very handy for making a game but for rapid stuff it can really bite.

Comment

Working...
                                X