Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CryEngine becomes free

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
    Lumberyard already seems to have fallen into obscurity, I haven't heard about it since it originally came out. The CryENGINE just carries a bigger brand name, so it gets more attention in the press, especially with V's release.
    Lumberyard from the sounds of it may be getting some form of segmented world support.

    http://www.geekwire.com/2016/amazon-...h-integration/

    Comment


      Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
      Lumberyard already seems to have fallen into obscurity, I haven't heard about it since it originally came out. The CryENGINE just carries a bigger brand name, so it gets more attention in the press, especially with V's release.
      I believe they are not completely out yet. Even if they aren't in beta or something anymore, I think they didn't begin the massive marketing yet. It's Amazon. They've got the money, they've got the base (CryEngine) and they wouldn't come into game engine business just for a trip. We'll see, I suppose.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
        Lumberyard already seems to have fallen into obscurity, I haven't heard about it since it originally came out. The CryENGINE just carries a bigger brand name, so it gets more attention in the press, especially with V's release.
        A couple of new games are coming out from Amazon Game Studios.

        Comment


          Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
          Lumberyard from the sounds of it may be getting some form of segmented world support.
          And it's for an MMO. Huh, I really did not expect that from all this.

          I wonder if that's something Lumberyard offers normally, or if that was some custom networking stuff they put together for it? Wish Unreal would easily let me put a few hundred players on a single server... still working out how I'm even going to do that on this.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
            And it's for an MMO. Huh, I really did not expect that from all this.

            I wonder if that's something Lumberyard offers normally, or if that was some custom networking stuff they put together for it? Wish Unreal would easily let me put a few hundred players on a single server... still working out how I'm even going to do that on this.
            Custom networking (not the stock from CryEngine), is already in Lumberyard.
            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

            Comment


              Originally posted by iniside View Post
              Custom networking (not the stock from CryEngine), is already in Lumberyard.
              So Lumberyard in general is already suited to large scale multiplayer like that? I wonder what it does differently than the UE4, and if that could somehow be done here (likely one of the AWS plugins/services).

              Comment


                Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
                So Lumberyard in general is already suited to large scale multiplayer like that? I wonder what it does differently than the UE4, and if that could somehow be done here (likely one of the AWS plugins/services).
                Haven't read about it but I'd assume its focus would be on cloud computing and databases.

                edit:
                They have added GameLift for cloud multiplayer.
                https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/
                Last edited by Errvald; 10-01-2016, 11:32 AM.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
                  So Lumberyard in general is already suited to large scale multiplayer like that? I wonder what it does differently than the UE4, and if that could somehow be done here (likely one of the AWS plugins/services).
                  Component system from Lumberyard is thread safe and is designed in the way, that each component can run indepdently from other componenets in any thread. In the essence it means you can run every single component in cloud as microservice. This allow you to scale horizontally and theoretically your only limitation is cloud compute power.

                  This is completly diffrent to unreal where UObjects are locked to single thread and there it is not even possible to spawn UObjects from other threads.
                  Edit:
                  I have been talking about at Discord, but to reiterate long story short. How data is replicated from server to clients is hardly a bottleneck at the scale of MMO. It is a problem, but you can simply always throw more hardware or more bandwidth at it.
                  Reall performance issues come from things like collision detection, tracing, AI simulation, animation (if you play at least some on server, and you probabaly do). To make it scallable, all of those things must be able to run on any number of threads, prefferably on any number of machines in cloud. All of it must be lock free, and all entities in game mu be able to run independently from each other.
                  Last edited by iniside; 10-01-2016, 11:55 AM.
                  https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                    Haven't read about it but I'd assume its focus would be on cloud computing and databases.

                    edit:
                    They have added GameLift for cloud multiplayer.
                    https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/
                    But be aware, its not suited for MMOs with never-resetting worlds, only for MOBA and FPS like CSGO or Battlefield.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post
                      But be aware, its not suited for MMOs with never-resetting worlds, only for MOBA and FPS like CSGO or Battlefield.
                      What do you mean by world reset and why would it not be suitable?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                        What do you mean by world reset and why would it not be suitable?
                        Amazon GameLift is designed to support session-based games with game loops that begin and end within a specified time period. Typically, these are multiplayer games in genres like first person shooters, MOBAs, fighting, racing, or sports. Amazon GameLift is not designed to support games with persistent worlds that never reset, such as MMOs or sandbox games. Amazon GameLift is also not designed to support asynchronous turn-based multiplayer designs that are often used for mobile or social games.
                        Sauce: https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/faq/?nc1=h_ls

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post
                          Then how are they doing New World with it, if it's both an MMO and sandbox game? They must have found a way to get it working, it's not like they can use any other service with Lumberyard.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by iniside View Post
                            Component system from Lumberyard is thread safe and is designed in the way, that each component can run indepdently from other componenets in any thread. In the essence it means you can run every single component in cloud as microservice. This allow you to scale horizontally and theoretically your only limitation is cloud compute power.

                            This is completly diffrent to unreal where UObjects are locked to single thread and there it is not even possible to spawn UObjects from other threads.
                            Edit:
                            I have been talking about at Discord, but to reiterate long story short. How data is replicated from server to clients is hardly a bottleneck at the scale of MMO. It is a problem, but you can simply always throw more hardware or more bandwidth at it.
                            Reall performance issues come from things like collision detection, tracing, AI simulation, animation (if you play at least some on server, and you probabaly do). To make it scallable, all of those things must be able to run on any number of threads, prefferably on any number of machines in cloud. All of it must be lock free, and all entities in game mu be able to run independently from each other.
                            Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
                            Then how are they doing New World with it, if it's both an MMO and sandbox game? They must have found a way to get it working, it's not like they can use any other service with Lumberyard.
                            Answer. Communication between client/server is not most important. And for that matter gamelift is only for matchmaking (simply speaking).
                            Part of this architecture is in engine, I guess the distributed server part is not available (at least for now).
                            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X