CryEngine becomes free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KinDaKreator View Post
    I downloaded it, installed it and opened it.
    Didn't know how to make an island.
    10 out of 10.
    10 out of 10, would Cry again?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
      10 out of 10, would Cry again?

Cry KinDaKreator lol

Comment

I do not see point of fighting too for classic engine vs engine, certain people like CE5 and others UE4 and it is good that there are now 2 semi-open engine giants in world. Even person mind structure will affect what type of 3D world editor and programming style he wants and what gives fastest and most productive results to this person.
        tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by AE_3DFX View Post
          I do not see point of fighting too for classic engine vs engine, certain people like CE5 and others UE4 and it is good that there are now 2 semi-open engine giants in world. Even person mind structure will affect what type of 3D world editor and programming style he wants and what gives fastest and most productive results to this person.
          I wouldn't mind Svoti in Unreal, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
            I wouldn't mind Svoti in Unreal, would you?
            I have hopes for AHR too let EPIC choose best GI solution for everyone.
            tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaWolF View Post
              Finally the penny dropped for the folks at crytek But there community of devs were not around anymore to even hear it.
              I started out with that engine 2 years ago when it was free, and while I was making slow progress i was dumbfounded at the lack of Not being able to export/import FBX format drirectly to engine and there total lack of Vision in supporting VR while the community was asking for basic support and seeing UNITY & UE4 adopt it out of the gate.
              Then CRYENGINE went subscription only too.
              Like many others I abandon it and jumped to UE4 As soon as my DK2 arrived ,and wont be returning to relearn what Ive already forgotten about cryengine in-favour of the awesome UE4 Pipeline and ease of use.

Yeah they really only have themselves to blame for there situation as they have just made a series of bad decisions over the last few years.
              I didn't read the entire thread , so excuse me if someone else mention this. In their first community stream Q & A session they mention improving support for FBX, currently you can import a static mesh, they will add animation support in the future. This is freaking huge news, for anyone not using Max/Maya!

BTW, does anyone know how to turn on SVOTI in Cryengine V? Their forum is currently bug(can't post a new thread, or reply to one). I turn on Total Illumination in the preference but still don't see it in the Environment Editor?
              Last edited by SonKim; 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM.
              TOUR of DUTY

Comment

Originally posted by SonKim View Post
                BTW, does anyone know how to turn on SVOTI in Cryengine V? Their forum is currently bug(can't post a new thread, or reply to one). I turn on Total Illumination in the preference but still don't see it in the Environment Editor?
                Yeah the CryEngine forum is bugged but it's not important. Fora are overrated and CryEngine works so flawless, most people never need to ask questions.
                It's in the level settings section somewhere on the bottom of the list called 'Total Illumination'.

Good news on the .fbx indeed. Took them a couple of years but things really happen now.
                Bear in mind you can not use multi-sub materials yet but that's no biggy. Meshes with more than one material are hardly existing anyways
                https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

Direct Comparisons?

It'd be interesting to see the same scenes recreated across all 4 major engines.
                  Just as long as its actual gameplay footage and not archviz or FPS cheating etc.
                  Last edited by UnrealEnterprise; 03-29-2016, 08:52 PM.
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  What are the BEST Unreal Tutorials / Docs? There are none tbh... Here's why
                  Instead its better to just take projects apart (see the free 'creators' listed here)

Comment

I didn't read the entire thread , so excuse me if someone else mention this. In their first community stream Q & A session they mention improving support for FBX, currently you can import a static mesh, they will add animation support in the future. This is freaking huge news, for anyone not using Max/Maya!
                    First time I heard that they work on FBX was around 2013. It's a 2016 and they say that they want to improve it? See you in 2019 then.

Comment

If you're talking FBX in Lumberyard the importer has some issues.

It is SLOW since you can only do one file at a time. The textures to materials is generated backwards from some software such as Speedtree cinema so the process is really tough to get done in a timely manner. I end up having to hand edit all materials so far to get them correct. UE can do 100 files in the same amount of time so I don't think it is production ready just yet.

Not knocking it just saying my experience with the engine has not been the best experience so far and yes, I am working with it and testing it out.

Comment

They could've at least integrate cross-platform support. Mobile games are popular.

Comment

it seems that crytek is determined to correct their past mistakes ... they start listening to users

https://www.cryengine.com/community/...99700#p1299700

Comment

Yep now Cryengine is free to use.

Comment

It looks like the recent update includes roadmap, project funds 1$ mil, launcher very similar to UE4, FBX support, C#, realtime GI and much more.

Comment

I saw a post on there forums that was like, "Hey this feature is buggy are you going to improve it." CryEngine response "No, the guy that did that quit so it will stay as it is."

I stopped looking into CryEngine once i saw that response.

Comment

Working...
                                X