No announcement yet.

CryEngine becomes free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've played with things a bit. More or less the better part of today.
    Here's my 2 cents:

1) Volumetric clouds are absolutely stunning. There's currently a depth order bug preventing them to be rendered on top of everything but for a first iteration it's a very good effort regardless.
    I won't link to several YT videos on this subject since I'd consider these 'first try attempts'. With 20 or so odd sliders you can get this system to produce pretty realistic clouds indeed.
    Just don't expect them to rival with photorealistic clouds. They won't but you can get them close enough with some effort.

2) Volumetric fog. Well, if you think UE4 fog is already very nice (I think it is), this is a whole new level of nice. It allows you to create everything from spooky claustrophobic fog to very subtle
    Japanese painting fog. Very flexible but also of course can be a total pain (especially in conjunction with volumetric clouds) to get the 2 working properly together.

3) SVOTI/SVOGI/Total Illumination
    Has matured quite a bit since first iterations. It's fast, it works wonders when paired with lightprobes. Easy to get good results. Can be tweaked to higher quality output a good amount before starting to have a noticable impact on your scenes performance.
    Especially occlusion is just outright phenomenal with this system. Drop down a bunch of geometry and some probes. Update your voxelization and marvel at occlusion that looks credible and very very good.
    Not tested indoors if the shimmering is gone now. Could still be an issue, could be gone. Simply unknown for me right now. I'm a huge fan of VXGI and have to admit that, although VXGI can produce better quality, performance wise, SVOTI is better. In terms of looks I also struggle to get the same results out of VXGI, especially outdoors. The combination of lightprobe occlusion is simply too good to be true at times and I really wish NVIDIA and/or Epic will take note on this system (yeah, we can dream can we? ).

4) Apparently .fbx import is now supported.
    I'll do some tests later. Especially if it works with materials. I don't think so.

5) Launcher and levels and places to save/load stuff is still a disaster.
    The launcher can't locate locations out of your root. Several other things inside the editor suffer from this stunning inflexibility too.
    It's a huge pain. One that requires very meticulous planning and overall gives you the feeling you're being restricted at gunpoint for no good reason.

6) Drag/Drop/Customize functionality in the editor. Sure, great. Default config is weird. Menu's on the left, right, nothing for a lower bar.
    Not really anything new here.

7) GPU particles. Same deal as with UE4 basically. Just cool stuff. Nice for CryEngine to have it too now.
    Particle editor is still completely inferior to Cascade.

8) Stability. Always difficult to say something sensible since it's so dependent on 2000 variables.
    It's ok-ish is the best I can do. Enable advanced stuff in the editor (especially the advanced volumetric things) and your milage may vary even more.
    There are several bugs reported already in regards to crashes on shutdown, updates in editor etc.

9) Screenshot. Easy as always. CryEngine had always covered this one little thing like a boss.
    Just go into your console, tweak 40 variables, make some blueprints, then make sure you've taken a bunch of pills, have been to church/mosque or sacrificed a couple of dissidents to Stalin and there you go.
    Absolute horror. But hey, who cares about screenshots right? They are overrated anyways.

That's it for today.
    Hope it was useful.
    If not, that's even better!
    https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

thank you for this breakdown.

coming from regular DCC i really crave the volumetric scattering.
      i dont plan on switching but i do hope this will nudge some of the more advanced rendering features on epic side.

is it possible to export sequenced screenshots too?

Comment

From a pure feature POV it's sometimes very tricky to really understand (or even just trying to understand) why one engine has 'this' cool feature, the other engine 'that' cool feature etc.
        Between UE4 and CE5 it's almost funny. Where one engine shines, the other one does not. If engines could form relationships, this one would be very exciting for sure
        Point 9) is ofc a joke. I hope it comes across like one. It should be as simple as typing r_getscreenshot 2 in your console but for some reason that just doesn't fly anymore.
        Maybe it's my pc or whatever. I couldn't find ANY error report on this so I'm inclined to believe I'm just being stupid. Surely this can't have been some kind of oversight?
        So why don't I file a report on their forums then you might wonder? Well, I'd do that in an instant, provided I was allowed to. It seems I'm not. Chrome, FF, IE, they all refuse me to either
        create a new topic or reply to a existing one. I'm sure this is just an accident. Can't be related to me not having some kind of payed subscription or offering 'zero' for what I was prepared
        to pay for their engine upon installing. That would just be silly. Right?

Anyways, yes, the engine supports sequence image output just fine.
        You have a console command for doing so or you can set it up via flowgraph (which is their version of Blueprints but way more limited).
        Everything on a basic level is very robust and straightforward. Totally different then any other engine ofc but that seems to be the golden rule.

Comment

thanks chesire,

this straightforwardness on a basic level sounds interesting. is it possible to print out some other buffers like zdepth or , say, roughness/specular?

Comment

Originally posted by KillingWord View Post
            thanks chesire,
            this straightforwardness on a basic level sounds interesting. is it possible to print out some other buffers like zdepth or , say, roughness/specular?
            Used to be possible albeit never as good as with UE4 and it certainly never provided you this comfy 'export .exr' option.
            I've had a quick lookaround and all I can find in trackviews sequence editor is a 'color' option for export.
            Needless to say that also doesn't work on my PC. I swear they are out to get me

Comment

ah see you must have clicked on the "..not_for_chesire.exe"
              thanks, definitely not moving from UE, good to have an overview tho.

Comment

Originally posted by KillingWord View Post
                thanks, definitely not moving from UE, good to have an overview tho.
                Take my words with a grain (or bucket) of salt as others might have a completely different experience but no, right now I'd most definitely stick to UE4. You can always install CryEngine and use it on the side but that's a big investment for a dual pipeline. Something most people just simply do not have time for. Maybe CryEngine5 needs to mature a bit. I seem to recall that as a mantra from just about every previous installment. Not sure but it never seems to quite 'get there' if that makes sense. That said, it seems to be there's enough 'new' to give them a certain gracing period. We'll just have to see what happens.

Comment

yeah i dont have time to spend on any growing pains.
                  for me it comes down to community and wealth of info. epic has it in spades.
                  i just hope that nvidia sdk 3.1 brings some of that good stuff soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockwave-peter View Post
                    Now that Crytek has released CryEngine V with full source code for free
                    Not... quite.

From what I can tell, there's no source code for Sandbox (the Sandbox folder only contains code for the audio abstraction layer plugins), which is kind of a turn-off as even LY has this.

Comment

I remember a few years back (CryEngine 3, not CryEngine "4"), the engine need to be run with an internet connection. In other words, you can't run it offline.

1) Does anyone know is that the case for Cryengine V?

2) The bigger question, I remember reading somewhere back in that same era that when you import custom assets like 3D models from other 3D program or whatever other assets into Cryengine, the model/asset gets transferred to some Crytek server behind your back. There can be many issues with this. One example is if their server crashes or stops for the day, you can't work on your project on that day. Does this still exist in Cryengine V?

I know maybe I can ask this on the Cryengine forum, but let's just say I have reasons to ask here instead.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Limiter View Post

1) Does anyone know is that the case for Cryengine V?

2) The bigger question, I remember reading somewhere back in that same era that when you import custom assets like 3D models from other 3D program or whatever other assets into Cryengine, the model/asset gets transferred to some Crytek server behind your back. There can be many issues with this. One example is if their server crashes or stops for the day, you can't work on your project on that day. Does this still exist in Cryengine V?
                        1) No, it does not require internet connection to run both editor and game now. (But the launcher do)

2) No, the assets will never go through Crytek server for processing. It's totally offline.
                        | twitter | github | #ue4tip

Comment

https://twitter.com/cryengine/status/711870035850088448

https://www.cryengine.com/community/...93298#p1293298

Crytek is going to do a live stream tomorrow March 22 @ 5PM CET.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                            Reading the CryEngine EULA
                            Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not going to waste my lifetime with something that makes me cry if they are in the mood to change the EULA to something weird after I've spent already a lots, lots of time into it without any possibility to stay at least at an older version or something. It's ok for me if they would get money or some royalty so they could improve the engine even in the future. But it's better to play with open cards on the table than with such lawers blackbox timebombs that keep everything open just for the sake of dunno... I've compared a lot of engines until I finally choosed UE4 and it (still) feels good that it was the right choice (many times already).

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                              If you don't like using CryEngine there's no need to go on about it here like raging fanbois.
                              I couldn't agree MORE.

Opinions we all likely have, but a lot of work , who knows how many devoted developers, went into making cryengine what it is, and its capable of incredible visuals, not unlike our favorite engine ue4

At least it offers more choices, and we have nothing to fear given ue4 is a spectacular engine and instead I think we should be ecstatic about more choices not less.

Cheers
                              Last edited by neighborlee; 03-21-2016, 01:01 PM.
                              Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
                              https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

I downloaded it, installed it and opened it.
                                Didn't know how to make an island.
                                10 out of 10.
                                Check out my itch.io page, I'm really excited about it.
                                https://kinos141.itch.io/

Please check out my AI package: Action AI System Feat. Stealth
                                https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...m-feat-stealth
                                or get it from itch
                                https://kinos141.itch.io/action-ai-system-feat-stealth

Comment

Working...
                                X