Experienced in C++ but newbie for Game and UE4 world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experienced in C++ but newbie for Game and UE4 world

got some questions to draw my path to be game developer. First about me, experienced C++ developer but dont know anything about creating a video game and now questions:

1- what are percentage of average effort of level design, blueprint scripting, C++ programming and mesh design for a ue4 game ? (i know it depends on game that you create but just average and overview)
    2- Is that possible or a good way to learn all things to build video game ?
    3- Should i learn design or buy my assets and levels from marketplace, which was more logical ?

thanks

Originally posted by iyasar View Post
    1- what are percentage of average effort of level design, blueprint scripting, C++ programming and mesh design for a ue4 game ? (i know it depends on game that you create but just average and overview)
    This is simply incredibly hard to answer, to be honest. Though, I think a fair amount of people would agree that a large amount of time is spent on simply creating the assets. After all, they are what's going to be seen by the user. It will truly vary from game to game, and on which platform(s) you are targeting.

2- Is that possible or a good way to learn all things to build video game?
    Not entirely sure what you mean here, I'm afraid. There is a plethora of resources, to be found online, which will allow you to learn almost every aspect of the process. You'd simply need the time and drive to put them into use. It's certainly possible to learn everything - though. Mastering everything is slightly harder. After all, we each have our strong and weak points.

3- Should i learn design or buy my assets and levels from marketplace, which was more logical ?
    Entirely up to you. At the very least, you could use marketplace assets to quickly prototype your project and replace them with final assets at a later stage.

Comment

1. Pulling vague figures out of my sock based on my own limited experience and a bunch of pie charts I came across, I'd guesstimate: 25-30% programming, 30-40% art, 10-15% gameplay and level design, and then marketing, legal, playtesting, etc. Though for big games I think it's more like: 50% marketing, 30% pretty art, 20% unimportant stuff that determines how good the game actually is.

2. It's certainly possible. Is it a good idea? Probably not. It totally depends on you. How much time do you have and how much do you like to learn everything?

3. Personally I can't imagine purchased assets helping much, unless you're making a really generic sci-fi first-person shooter or something. I guess more universal stuff like materials, sounds, and some animations could help quite a bit, but there's always going to be a bunch of work in each discipline that will have to be custom made. I'd say that finding a partner or two to cover the areas you're not so great at is your best bet. As a programmer you are in a good position. Just look at the recruitment section. Job offerings: mostly programmers and quite a few 3d artists. Looking for work: . . . Concept artists and musicians, with some 3D artists.
      My Website

Comment

Working...
      X