No announcement yet.

A Little Guidance Please :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic A Little Guidance Please :)

A Little Guidance Please :)

So I'm at Universtiy doing a broad Digital Design course which allows us to pretty much pursue whatever we want to do.

I've been thinking hard about what I want to do; and I've really fallen in love with the idea of being a level designer / environment artist.

But I don't really know much about what is required in either of those fields. I have downloaded UE4 and I'm ready to learn. But looking at the programme I don't know
    if it's what I thought it was. I want to create the buildings, objects etc... that get put into the world. And from what I've seen UE4 is mostly about placing assets already made.

So is UE4 the route I should take? Or am I better of working with something like Maya? I am literally just beginning my journey into level design, and need a bit of help from people with experience to
    help distinguish the differences between all the different roles that are needed to create worlds for games / cut scenes / films etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Kav

• replied
    Just to add on, I've always felt 3DS Max is a lot better for static meshes (buildings/objects) while Maya is great for putting nothing Skeletal Meshes.

3DS just has a more simplified interface so you can put nothing things faster in it.

Maya may seem complicated at first, but everything it offers is helpful.

~ Jason

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It depends on your team. Mostly you also have a concept artist which will draw you a pic of the scene and then you try to create it in 3d -> but the level designer is responsible for placing the assets

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok really appreciate this help guys, I think at this stage I'll be focussing on my modelling skills to start with. And then of course learning UE4 alongside would be a very good step in the right direction.

Do you find when coming up with world layout and design, you do that yourself or do you work with an artist to come up with various concepts to help you place things in the world?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    basically yes, your models/assets are created in a 3D app and then imported into UE4 and placed around to create your levels/worlds.

programming things in you levels in UE4 isn't too difficult even for non coders like me (I am a modeller) thanks to blueprints, I mean it is still coding but doing basic stuff is fairly easy to learn how to do it and use it in you levels.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok so Maya or Max for the object / architectural side of things.

So I am guessing UE4 is for using those assets provided by artist to create a complete world. I would like to make a career out of this one day so need as much information as possible!
    Coding wise I have very little experience which is what worries me about UE4.

So as a user of UE4 do you mostly work alone with your projects, or do you call upon the help of 3D artists, environment artists and the like?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Kav!

I want to create the buildings, objects etc... that get put into the world.
    In that case, Maya (or equivalent) is what you want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X