Open World Survival, Zombies or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open World Survival, Zombies or Not?

Hello All. When I initially started my self-training with blueprints I created a small Project called Frankiestein. It was intended to be a small Open World Zombie Survival, featuring Frankenstein-like Flesh Golem Monsters (that feed off electricity and have an insatiable desire to rip the living to pieces for spare body parts). As my skills improved with Blueprints, I lost interest and begin focusing on my dream game (keeping the concept of crafting Golems).

That was close to a year ago and I've been working towards my dream ever since. However, deep down inside, lurks the unsettled desire to develop Open World Zombie Survival. I like the premise behind this genre and I see a lot of other UE4 Devs around here do too. With all that said, I have to just say.... NO to Zombies! Please no more Zombies. I'll take Robots, Dragons, Cyborgs, Werewolves, Giant Spiders, Aliens, Mutants, Clowns, anything else but Zombies.
    Robots
    17.24%
    Aliens
    20.69%
    Cyborgs
    11.49%
    Mutants
    9.20%
    Clowns
    22.99%
    Vampires
    10.34%
    Fantasy Monsters (various)
    20.69%
    Giant Spiders
    14.94%
    Dragons
    14.94%
    Mythological Monsters (various)
    20.69%
    Blobs
    8.05%
    Ghosts
    9.20%
    Werewolves
    16.09%
    Golems (various)
    9.20%
    Flying Sharks
    27.59%
    HeadlessStudios.com is now part of TheGameDevStore.com

A survival game with evil clowns!

Comment

i would be more horrified of clowns in an open world then anything else
      Self-Learning to program, Open to advice!

Comment

Definitely clowns, I'd play that.
        Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
        Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
        Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

If you want scary... Put Adam Sandler into it!
          Favorite Quotes:
          "History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies and misfortunes of mankind." -Edward Gibbon
          "Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain." -Vladimir Putin
          "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." -General George S. Patton.

Comment

Clowns. I never liked them, I don't plan to like them anytime soon. Go clowns! :P
            Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Comment

Inspired by your responses:

cLICK Me

Comment

I think you should do zombies. There's just such a jarring inexplicable absence of zombies in modern computer games.

Comment

Um, Dragons clearly, I'm still waiting for my science based 100% dragon MMO

Comment

Originally posted by Madison View Post
                    Um, Dragons clearly, I'm still waiting for my science based 100% dragon MMO
                    Nice. I love Dragons. Could easily visualize 'Reign of Fire' being translated into Open World Survival w/ Dragons.

Comment

I'm tired of zombies. Really, really, tired of them
                      Ironbelly Studios- Your External UE4 Development Partner: AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
                      Request a quote today:
                      https://ironbellystudios.com
                      Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Comment

Whatever antagonist is chosen, it can't just be a reskin of the usual zombies, it has to also be a change-up of the standard gathering, crafting and smashing endless hordes of dull, slow-moving AI.

Comment

Clowns. Clearly clowns. An open world survival focusing on running away from and/or fighting evil clowns will be epic.

Originally posted by CNKIT View Post
                          i would be more horrified of clowns in an open world then anything else
                          Clowns suddenly popping up would certainly give Slender Man a run for its money.

I can already imagine it... The sun has gone down. You're trying desperately to build your campfire. Your so-called allies have disappeared. Then you hear the fun fair music... A few balloons suddenly float by... A voice echoes from an unknown direction, "It's party time, kids!"

The open world instead of a standard forest etc. could be an abandoned theme park. Theme parks are creepy enough already, make it abandoned and stuff with some forested areas around, some shopping mall thingy around, perfect!

The ultimate goal would be to figure out where the clowns are coming from in the map and close the "portal" etc.

Throw in some side stories about how the theme park became evil, BOOM, Game Of The Year!
                          Last edited by srmojuze; 08-23-2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by srmojuze View Post
                            Clowns. Clearly clowns. An open world survival focusing on running away from and/or fighting evil clowns will be epic.

Clowns suddenly popping up would certainly give Slender Man a run for its money.

I can already imagine it... The sun has gone down. You're trying desperately to build your campfire. Your so-called allies have disappeared. Then you hear the fun fair music... A few balloons suddenly float by... A voice echoes from an unknown direction, "It's party time, kids!"

The open world instead of a standard forest etc. could be an abandoned theme park. Theme parks are creepy enough already, make it abandoned and stuff with some forested areas around, some shopping mall thingy around, perfect!

The ultimate goal would be to figure out where the clowns are coming from in the map and close the "portal" etc.

Throw in some side stories about how the theme park became evil, BOOM, Game Of The Year!
                            I like where you're going with this. I also have a plot idea.

Plot: The Player's Character is a 'Person' put into a induced coma (reason to be determined), and their conscious-being is trapped inside a never-ending nightmare. Childhood Coulrophobia manifests itself into various types of blood thirsty evil clowns, hellbent on consuming their soul. The player must survive until... Doctors in the real-world find a cure.

A nightmare can be weird and illogical, so a open world filled with a creepy theme park attractions mixed in with post apocalyptic abandon buildings and forests could possibly work. I personally would prefer different clowns to have certain abilities. Perhaps some modern weapons that do unexpected 'zany' things.

Title: U N F A I R

Comment

Originally posted by TechLord View Post
                              Inspired by your responses:
                              Inspired by your responses and cookies:
                              My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
                              UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X