Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an SSD worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Uprentiss View Post
    Yeah I think you just sold me on buying a second one lol.
    Just bought a second one myself.
    I had a 120GB EVO 840 combined with a 1TB Western Digital Black
    By the time I added an OS, Visual Studio, Epic Games launcher, 1-2 UE4 binary builds etc, the 120GB was at capacity and I was using the HDD for building and running a source built version of the engine.

    Not fun :|

    I recently purchased a Samsung 850 PRO 500GB and have made this my primary OS/dev drive.
    Very happy that I did.

    I actually wanted to get a Samsung 951, but my motherboard is slightly too old (wrong slot type) and I could not find one locally anway
    Thankfully, the 850 PRO will work quite well with any future purchases as a secondary storage drive.

    SSD's are getting cheaper, but even at the their current price are worth it for anyone working on C++.
    Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

    Comment


      #17
      I have SSD+HDD at home and only HDD at work. When I'm at home I can work within 1 minute from power on, at work I can go grab tea while waiting for the PC to boot. Yet, the PC at work is several times more expensive.

      Yes, it is definitely worth it! If you have an SSD+HDD combo, you can abuse junctions using this program to put Program Files and other bloating files on your HDD to save gigabytes on things you don't really need the speed for.
      Programmer, Rigger, Animator - Demo Reel 2015 - My RnD / WIP thread - www.dennylindberg.com
      Worked on: Kitten'd - Guardians of Valor (Android, iOS)

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Jamendxman3 View Post
        Hello everyone, I noticed that when people post their PC specs and wonder about UE4 compatibility, they usually have an SSD, why? Does an SSD make that much of a difference in speeds? Can anyone here compare loading speeds that they have with SSD vs HDD?
        SSDs are great but expensive. You can try a SSD-HDD hybrid. The OS is mostly on the SSD, but other programs are on the HDD, and hybrids prices are much better.
        Check out my itch.io page, I'm really excited about it.
        https://kinos141.itch.io/

        Please check out my AI package: Action AI System Feat. Stealth
        https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...m-feat-stealth
        or get it from itch
        https://kinos141.itch.io/action-ai-system-feat-stealth

        Comment


          #19
          How is the reliability of SSD versus HDD, are they on a par now....The fact that no one has gone into this means there's nothing to worry about anymore?

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by franktech View Post
            How is the reliability of SSD versus HDD, are they on a par now....The fact that no one has gone into this means there's nothing to worry about anymore?
            For things like laptops they are awesome, they can take the bumps and vibrations or whatever better than an HDD.

            I'm not sure how heavy of a storage device user you are, but once you reach about 100TB (model dependant, some can last VERY long) of writing, it starts to break down and use reserve sectors, this is fine and won't have to much of an impact. Once it runs out of those reserve sectors, kapoot.

            I saw a chart of different models and how long they last, can't find it now, but unless you are dealing with a freakish amount of writing and deleting there probably won't be any issues. Also, no need to defragment. From what I read fragmentation has no impact.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by _cDub View Post
              For things like laptops they are awesome, they can take the bumps and vibrations or whatever better than an HDD.

              I'm not sure how heavy of a storage device user you are, but once you reach about 100TB (model dependant, some can last VERY long) of writing, it starts to break down and use reserve sectors, this is fine and won't have to much of an impact. Once it runs out of those reserve sectors, kapoot.

              I saw a chart of different models and how long they last, can't find it now, but unless you are dealing with a freakish amount of writing and deleting there probably won't be any issues. Also, no need to defragment. From what I read fragmentation has no impact.
              Speaking of lifespan, I guess I better get a backup drive in case my HDD decides to die on me, and I lose my life's work From what I've read, Intel makes some of the higher quality SSDs, but the posts I am reading are from 2012 :\
              Marketplace Assets

              Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
              Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
              Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Jamendxman3 View Post
                Speaking of lifespan, I guess I better get a backup drive in case my HDD decides to die on me, and I lose my life's work From what I've read, Intel makes some of the higher quality SSDs, but the posts I am reading are from 2012 :\
                The older SSD's suck. They only seem to have a lifespan of 2years. The newer ones... maybe they fixed it?
                Favorite Quotes:
                "History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies and misfortunes of mankind." -Edward Gibbon
                "Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain." -Vladimir Putin
                "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." -General George S. Patton.

                Comment


                  #23
                  I have two ssd's in raid 0 on this laptop that I'm using with UE4, and let me tell you, I will nvr go go back. I'm slowing swaping for sdd's in my servers now, but yeah the 1tb ones are def not cheap, however, 250 ish gb sdd's, def affordable now a days.
                  Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/CloDel_Studios
                  Site: http://itsgatedgames.com - coming soon

                  Comment


                    #24
                    In my ~20 years of owning gaming rigs I've only had 1 HD failure and it was an SSD after about 9 months of owning it. Simply put they're less stable. So they're great as long as you don't put anything of value on it or keep it backed up. They really do make a huge performance difference though.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by DanglinBob View Post
                      In my ~20 years of owning gaming rigs I've only had 1 HD failure and it was an SSD after about 9 months of owning it. Simply put they're less stable. So they're great as long as you don't put anything of value on it or keep it backed up. They really do make a huge performance difference though.
                      Well, that eases my mind a bit, but after the replies on this thread, I will definitely be getting an SSD
                      Marketplace Assets

                      Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                      Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                      Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I decided to go for 500gb SSD Samsung EVO to swap my current old HDD out, it vibrates and make noises like a *****. By the way, for backup functionality purposes I'm using Google 100gb storage, only 2 bucks a month, it's getting synced with your HDD or SSD.
                        WebSidekicks

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by irmscher View Post
                          for backup functionality purposes I'm using Google 100gb storage, only 2 bucks a month, it's getting synced with your HDD or SSD.
                          Sure 2 bucks now, and later, how much then???..."Cloud Mentality" Cloud Reliability...
                          Last edited by ClavosTech; 11-30-2015, 12:51 AM.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            ssd still better if we buy from some high rated company and for backup propose google drive best.
                            Freelance Web Designers
                            Ecommerce Website Designer

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I have two 850 Pro's 1TB in Raid0 for OS and software. Superfast loading but being SSD and Raid0 I don't like to put any important data on it as the risk of failure is huge. When I do I try to make sure backups are happening often.
                              At first, I was concerned by the life span of SSD's but I believe this is getting better and better and as such isn't an issue today, unless you're writing 100s of GB to it everyday.
                              I would argue that good quality RAM is important if you are creating content for your games. DCC software can chew through RAM at an alarming rate. SSD working together with good RAM makes for an excellent dev experience.
                              twitter: @NaveedHIQ

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
                                well my laptop has 2xSSD's in RAID 0 and takes about 5 seconds from pressing the power button to being fully loaded and ready to go, it would be quicker but it takes like 2 seconds to input the password. programs also load a lot faster(most load instantly), UE4 only takes a few seconds to load the launcher and then the engine.



                                that's true but not for long, although most people only use 1 or 2TB so I don't think it really matters that much.



                                the only really noticeable difference would be how fast the editor and the assets load so it wont really effect how well UE4 runs.



                                yep, using 2 SSD's in RAID 0 is awesome.

                                Hi, I wanted to know that whether having SSD improves compile time or intellisense reload time?
                                I was thinking of upgrading my hdd to have better Unreal performance.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X