Is an SSD worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an SSD worth it?

Hello everyone, I noticed that when people post their PC specs and wonder about UE4 compatibility, they usually have an SSD, why? Does an SSD make that much of a difference in speeds? Can anyone here compare loading speeds that they have with SSD vs HDD?
    Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

I believe they use a SSD as their main OS for faster boot and load times of the operating system and software, the load time is ridiculously quick on anything with a Solid State.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamendxman3 View Post
      Hello everyone, I noticed that when people post their PC specs and wonder about UE4 compatibility, they usually have an SSD, why? Does an SSD make that much of a difference in speeds? Can anyone here compare loading speeds that they have with SSD vs HDD?
      The SSD is so fast it's crazy... But they are horribly expensive.
      On the other hand a HDD has more capacity that the SSD. And is WAY cheaper. And has WAY more storage. But is slower.
      I have a WD black 1tb and it runs UE4 great. No problems.

Also, Here is what most people do. They get a small 250-500gb SSD. And install all the important software on it. (OS, UE4, ETC...) But they have a HDD (Or two) that they put all their files and other software on.
      But for right now. The HDD's cost makes it a better deal right now then the SSD. In my opinion.

EDIT: UE4 seems to run the same on my both my HDD and my friends brand new 1tb SSD! Why is that?!
      Favorite Quotes:
      "History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies and misfortunes of mankind." -Edward Gibbon
      "Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain." -Vladimir Putin
      "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." -General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 View Post
        EDIT: UE4 seems to run the same on my both my HDD and my friends brand new 1tb SSD! Why is that?!
        Maybe UE4 is more of a sequential read.

Also I know a guy who runs 2 SSD's in RAID 0. He practically has to measure transfer speeds in the Gb/s

Comment

Originally posted by Jamendxman3 View Post
          well my laptop has 2xSSD's in RAID 0 and takes about 5 seconds from pressing the power button to being fully loaded and ready to go, it would be quicker but it takes like 2 seconds to input the password. programs also load a lot faster(most load instantly), UE4 only takes a few seconds to load the launcher and then the engine.

Originally posted by 94 View Post
          On the other hand a HDD has more capacity that the SSD.
          that's true but not for long, although most people only use 1 or 2TB so I don't think it really matters that much.

the only really noticeable difference would be how fast the editor and the assets load so it wont really effect how well UE4 runs.

Originally posted by _cDub View Post
          Also I know a guy who runs 2 SSD's in RAID 0. He practically has to measure transfer speeds in the Gb/s
          yep, using 2 SSD's in RAID 0 is awesome.

Comment

put youre unreal installation in the fastest drive you can get, and plan for lots of space there, as you will also want to get youre assets loaded fast and not just the Editor.

Comment

Hmm, I would like to have Windows on an SSD, but don't feel like re-installing everything, I guess what I can do is just install Windows 10 on an SSD, my boot times are around 20-30 seconds from power button to being on desktop :\
              Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
              Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
              Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

I use a 250 ssd for my os and software like visual studio, unreal and etc.

it seems to be a good bit faster especially starting up.

if you look at new egg and etc ssd's are starting to get pretty cheap compared to a year ago and etc.
                Interested in having someone review your game? want to do an interview on it?

This check out this website.

Working on a game as well.

Comment

Another thing to look out for is the pci-e ssd drives. I guess sata cables can be completely flooded by an ssd and the pci-e port can support more (nearly double the bandwidth from the little that I read).

Comment

From my experience with this, an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can get. The only thing that will speed up the editor more is a better GPU, or a CPU if you have a really old one, but upgrading from a good to a great CPU will give you less of a speed boost compared to moving from an HDD to an SSD.

Up until recently I used my SSD (250gb) for windows and all programs, and HDD for my projects, but I got a second SSD (500gb) and moved all my programs & Windows over to it using the automatic drive clone tool that comes with Samsung SSD's, and use the 250gb for my projects. That also increased my load times / shader compile / visual studio compile times, and speeds up the editor even more.

If you haven't re-installed windows for a long time, that too can give you a performance increase (especially with Windows 7, ver 8.1 seems to manage itself better). So re-installing is actually a good thing, I do it every 6 months to keep things fresh.

Highly recommend an SSD
                    Last edited by DotCam; 07-04-2015, 03:39 PM.
                    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                      From my experience with this, an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can get. The only thing that will speed up the editor more is a better GPU, or a CPU if you have a really old one, but upgrading from a good to a great CPU will give you less of a speed boost compared to moving from an HDD to an SSD.

Up until recently I used my SSD (250gb) for windows and all programs, and HDD for my projects, but I got a second SSD (500gb) and moved all my programs & Windows over to it using the automatic drive clone tool that comes with Samsung SSD's. That also increased my load times / shader compile / visual studio compile times, and speeds up the editor even more.

If you haven't re-installed windows for a long time, that too can give you a performance increase (especially with Windows 7, ver 8.1 seems to manage itself better). So re-installing is actually a good thing, I do it every 6 months to keep things fresh.

Highly recommend an SSD
                      I have the same set up you had previous to your new one, you recommend a second ssd? I have been thinking bout it but haven't really weighed the pro's out yet.

Comment

It's definitely worth it. I've got two machines at work that don't have SSD but have faster processors than my system at home, yet my computer at home loads into Windows in like 15 seconds and I can immediately open the web browser. At work it takes a minute to get into Windows and another minute before any program will open.

Comment

Interesting... Are there still question-marks hanging over SDD regarding its lifetime versus HDD?

Comment

Originally posted by Uprentiss View Post
                            I have the same set up you had previous to your new one, you recommend a second ssd? I have been thinking bout it but haven't really weighed the pro's out yet.
                            It doesn't give you as big of an increase compared to the one you get switching from HDD to SSD for your programs, but it does speed things up a bit more. If you have the extra money to spend it certainly does help, but getting a better GPU will give you more performance per dollar (if you already have a great GPU, then go for it).
                            Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                              It doesn't give you as big of an increase compared to the one you get switching from HDD to SSD for your programs, but it does speed things up a bit more. If you have the extra money to spend it certainly does help, but getting a better GPU will give you more performance per dollar (if you already have a great GPU, then go for it).
                              Yeah I think you just sold me on buying a second one lol

Btw man, Amazing work with the ocean system.

Comment

Working...
                              X