Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make a game ai that learns and adapts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to make a game ai that learns and adapts?

I was just thinking about all the advancements in robotics and artificial intelligence recently, and was wondering if it could be applied to the gaming industry.

Absolutely. We are working on something for our fighting game that does just that. Though probably not at an advanced of a level you are referring to. This a quick free abstract, but there are tons of books on the subject, every one of them awesome.

https://fmfi-uk.hq.sk/Informatika/St...tr-2000-31.pdf

Comment

I remember back in 1999 there was a Quake 2 bot that used neural networks to learn the game. It was never good enough to actually provide any kind of challenge for players, but it shows how long this stuff has been around. It's just not used much because it's quite a lot of effort and, in most shooters, the player won't notice the difference. It also gives you less control over the difficulty curve of your game if the AI is changing as it goes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Neoptolemus View Post
        I remember back in 1999 there was a Quake 2 bot that used neural networks to learn the game. It was never good enough to actually provide any kind of challenge for players, but it shows how long this stuff has been around. It's just not used much because it's quite a lot of effort and, in most shooters, the player won't notice the difference. It also gives you less control over the difficulty curve of your game if the AI is changing as it goes along.
        The best Quake bot was Eraser Bot ... it learnt where the best weapons were from the players and kept it in its route. You could also teach the bot by running a console command and then running through the map ... this created the route for the bot.

The more you played the map with the bots the more sneaky they got and could actually pose a challenge ... if you had a bigger weapon and shot them, they would run away to look for a bigger weapon ... it was pretty cool.

I guess the trick here is going to be how do you store this learning information for the bots over various maps/levels ... I think once you nail that, you could make the bot learn anything and become sneaky.
        Quinton Delpeche
        Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

ANN's are the way to go with this I recon....
          [FREE] Procedural Bridge Blueprint, [FREE] Spline Enabled Ivy BP

Comment

Why doesn't UE4 have a UTBot like in UDK.

I would love to go against that ******* again. LOL.

Epic, please add to next update.
            Check out my itch.io page, I'm really excited about it.
            https://kinos141.itch.io/

Please check out my AI package: Action AI System Feat. Stealth
            https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...m-feat-stealth
            or get it from itch
            https://kinos141.itch.io/action-ai-system-feat-stealth

Comment

Originally posted by phantom530 View Post
              I was just thinking about all the advancements in robotics and artificial intelligence recently, and was wondering if it could be applied to the gaming industry.
              This has already been done since 1996. The reason why it's not more prevalent is because many gamers can't handle such AI. AI in games are purposely dumbed down to increase end-user enjoyment and profit.

Here's a link.
              http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/7...ers-want-smart
              Check out my itch.io page, I'm really excited about it.
              https://kinos141.itch.io/

Please check out my AI package: Action AI System Feat. Stealth
              https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...m-feat-stealth
              or get it from itch
              https://kinos141.itch.io/action-ai-system-feat-stealth

Comment

Originally posted by KinDaKreator View Post
                This has already been done since 1996. The reason why it's not more prevalent is because many gamers can't handle such AI. AI in games are purposely dumbed down to increase end-user enjoyment and profit.

Here's a link.
                "Most players still tunnel visioned in on the bait like tween girls on Edward Cullen."

Golden.

Comment

Here's a link.
                  That article is really interesting. It brings up a good point that players don't want smarter ai, but ai with more variety. I really think a combination of the two would be the best.

Comment

That article is really interesting. It brings up a good point that players don't want smarter ai, but ai with more variety. I really think a combination of the two would be the best.
                    Hmmm ... that is food for thought ... I better send this link to my one dev who is doing the AI for our game. 8-}
                    Quinton Delpeche
                    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Why doesn't UE4 have a UTBot like in UDK.

I would love to go against that ******* again. LOL.

Epic, please add to next update.
                      I think the UTBot code was lifted from the source to UT3 (along with all the other UT* classes). Since UE4 is still in development, they probably don't have any source code ready yet. I'm sure someone will throw together an AI template for others to use.

I'm a bit of an AI fan myself, maybe I'll give it a try when I have time :-)

Comment

#1. UE4 has no built in Bots yet??? Say it ain't so...

#2. Thanks for the article! It had a boatload of common sense and little jargon, and shows how easy it is to forget about the obvious and lose track of what's important :-

- "Ask a Game Dev — Game Development Myths: Players Want Smart Artificial Intelligence - Because this is the only tactic that worked well consistently, the players complained that the AI was dumb for just running in and getting shot while they stayed in relative safety. - In essence, we had built an AI that really did outsmart most players and players really don’t respond well to being outsmarted, so they had turned the tables by repeatedly dragging the AI into situations where it was dumbest, and then winning through attrition. And that was a problem, because it wasn’t fun. But it sure was effective."

- "That is not what the goal should have been. The goal from the start should have been to design an AI that was fun to beat. This is a rather crucial difference that I think we glossed over at the beginning, and it ended up hurting us in the long run. In retrospect, had we been able to do it over again, I would have erred on the side of more variety and less “intelligence”. If we had enemies who actually behaved differently it would then be up to the player to mentally come up with a strategy to deal with each (recognizable) type and thus improve and exhibit skill with the game. As long as we provided a steady stream of reasonably interesting and varied decisions and choices to make (a mix of snipers, assault types, pistol types, breachers, mid-long range rifles, etc.) then the gun combat would be more interesting and less frustrating. It may not have been the “smart” AI that some players clamor for, but it would have been fun to play against and beat, and that’s what really matters in the end."
                        Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 05-06-2015, 02:47 AM.

Comment

This article talks about single player AI, where the player is usually outnumbered by the NPCs. In this scenario I agree that the AI cannot be too smart and effective, otherwise the game is too difficult. The AI is supposed to simulate goons that the player can take on 3 at a time, not smart humans for 1 v 1 combat.

With a game like UT however, the AI is supposed to replace the human players you'd normally fight online, so it is in your interest to make them as smart as possible so that they can effectively fill in for a human.

Comment

Interesting read if you haven't seen it before :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09...t_turing_test/
                            http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19748209

* In UDK we had Bots that could exhibit behaviours, but they never really lived up to potential and were often buggy. I remember thinking it would be interesting to design a Bot that could exhibit human emotions, aka Emotioneering in Video Games. That was a big deal a decade ago post GTA Vice City, when notable screenwriters were sucked into video games companies. But did it ever go anywhere?

* For example, what if a couple of bots pin you down i.e. Bots exhibiting confidence (aggressive pursuit / accuracy of fire). But then you get lucky and manage to kill one and wound the other. The remaining Bot takes some more pot-shots but misses. What then? Well, what if the Bot became *scared* (survival fear), and chose to run off or even surrender sometimes...

* Stuff like this seems obvious, but you don't see it much in well known games, unless I'm mistaken? There's always lots of talk about adding real-life human emotions to Bot AI at game conferences. But after you play the game, it often feels more like just another type of cover system.

* Overall, I think one of the core problems with video-game goals sometimes, is that it just takes so much work and time to put the core level(s) together, get the weapons, vehicles, characters working, and polish the materials / textures, GUI, AI etc etc, i.e. the basic mechanics, that its easy to lose perspective on the distinctive things that were planned for the game from the start...

* What do others think about this?
                            Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 05-06-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I'm no AI expert (Just a designer) but I'd basically mimic Cleverbot. Create a matrix of real person responses to various situations and base my move off that (or similar situations). Every game adds to the knowledge matrix, and when you go "off book" (a chess term) you'd revert back to that baseline AI. I'd also expose what is going on behind the scenes to players, so they can see how the game is "thinking" - Could be a fun gimmick. It isn't "real" learning in the AI sense, but it could emulate that pretty well I think, including making mistakes! Would work best in a turn based game obviously.

-Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X