Thoughts on UE4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on UE4

We've had access to UE4 since last year, but only had chance to use it recently after our project was riddled with issues using another engine. Epic you have done an amazing job with this, it feels to us the only limitation is us and that's the way it should be. No constant fighting with tools to get the job done, which in turn saves us a huge sum of money and increases every chance of developer success.

Engine changes mid project usually can end a developer of a decent size (or any size for that matter) and I don't believe this will be the case at all and a smart decision to migrate. Even little things like AAA content examples shows us how things should be done. Everything from the ground up has been made how it should be and with Indie's in mind, which in turn will increase rapid workflow for larger customers a win win for everyone. It helps us Indies remain competitive in the market, which I think struggling developers in this industry couldn't ask for more.

With bugs and critical feedback it's easy for engine developers to close up. Don't you're doing a fantastic job as long as you keep on doing what you're doing, I thought it would be nice to reward a job well done I'm sure in places there will be criticism to balance things out .

Looking forward to the next couple of years in development.

Thanks again!.
    Last edited by ShadowKindGames; 04-17-2014, 08:12 PM.

I think we need more threads like this. They do deserve our gratitude for giving us access to something this amazing at an even more amazing price.

Comment

I agree with the OP's thoughts. I honestly think the majority of people who are complaining are those who have unreal (see what I did there) expectations . Epic set the expectation from the beginning that this is by no means polished to the level they aim for it to be.

Directly from the sign up page:

However, this is the very first release, aimed at early adopters. It's powerful, but not very polished, and it requires a beefy desktop computer. Rough areas include:
      -Mac OS X support hasn't undergone serious developer testing yet
      -Android support is rough and hasn't undergone compatibility testing
      -iOS deployment currently requires a Mac
      -C++ programming documentation is sparse

If you're looking for a more polished product, please check back in 6 months. But if you're a pioneer, please join us on this journey!
      I think perhaps some may need to reconsider perhaps if they should hold off for a few months until a more stability and support are in place.
      Just a noob grinding in this game we call Life.

Comment

Originally posted by Agentleo View Post
        I agree with the OP's thoughts. I honestly think the majority of people who are complaining are those who have unreal (see what I did there) expectations . Epic set the expectation from the beginning that this is by no means polished to the level they aim for it to be.

Directly from the sign up page:

I think perhaps some may need to reconsider perhaps if they should hold off for a few months until a more stability and support are in place.
        I also have to give kudos to the unreal engineers for their rapid responses, I don't think I've seen this level of support. There's no such thing as a perfect engine and for a Beta UE4 has been far more stable than others I've used, with our last project the editor was crashing 30 - 40 times a day bare minimum.. We hardly got much done.

Comment

This is the same problem Oculus had with DK1 and the upcoming DK2 - consumers jumping in despite it not being ready for consumers.

There are games coming out on Steam with clear warnings of the product being unfinished, broken and in development, yet people still buy them, only to complain about them being unfinished, broken and in development.

Someone needs to invent a button that lets you slap people upside the head via the internet.
          Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris View Post
            This is the same problem Oculus had with DK1 and the upcoming DK2 - consumers jumping in despite it not being ready for consumers.

There are games coming out on Steam with clear warnings of the product being unfinished, broken and in development, yet people still buy them, only to complain about them being unfinished, broken and in development.

Someone needs to invent a button that lets you slap people upside the head via the internet.
            Oculus can do that

Comment

Working...
            X