Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[4.7.1] Building for Linux from Win64 is just redirecting me to the documentation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[4.7.1] Building for Linux from Win64 is just redirecting me to the documentation.

As there's no Linux Development section I'm posting this here. Running UE 4.7.1 on Win10 64-bit Preview 9926. Would rather be running on Linux natively, but MESA/Radeon/drivers, sigh.

Clicking on File->Package Project->Linux is taking me to the UE4 Documentation Index. I'm guessing it's trying to find specific documentation for Linux, but failing (if so, at least it isn't 404-ing).

Am I missing something? I would imagine the answer is "Yes", just that I don't know what. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sslaxx; 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM. Reason: Giving a bit more detail.
    Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

You are indeed missing something ... you need a Linux Toolchain to compile for Linux on Windows.

Compiling For Linux

If you wanted to build natively on Linux, you would go here: Building On Linux
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Which I guess is where the documentation was trying to go, then. Thank you, good sir! Shall get that set up and running.

Built UE4 natively on Linux, it's just that I can't run it (due to driver issues and general hardware/driver interactions).

Also, the Wiki page for Compiling for Linux implies that if you don't have the cross-compiler toolchain installed the Linux options shouldn't be available from Package Project. This was not the case.
      Last edited by Sslaxx; 03-04-2015, 08:55 AM. Reason: More detail.
      Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sslaxx View Post
        Also, the Wiki page for Compiling for Linux implies that if you don't have the cross-compiler toolchain installed the Linux options shouldn't be available from Package Project. This was not the case.
        Did you build from the Source Code (i.e. GitHub) ... because if you did I think the option is there but it won't work because the Toolchain is not there. I got caught out by this when I first tried to compile for Linux on Windows. 8-}
        Quinton Delpeche
        Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
          Did you build from the Source Code (i.e. GitHub) ... because if you did I think the option is there but it won't work because the Toolchain is not there. I got caught out by this when I first tried to compile for Linux on Windows. 8-}
          Nope, not self-compiled, just downloaded the installer and ran the Launcher.
          Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sslaxx View Post
            Nope, not self-compiled, just downloaded the installer and ran the Launcher.
            Hmmmm ... weird. Let us know how the build goes.
            Quinton Delpeche

Comment

Toolchain installed (to C:\Develop\UnrealEngine4\CrossToolchain). Can't find the GenerateProjectFiles.bat needed to regenerate the project files, though. Attempting File->Package Project->Linux produces the same results as before.

I have VS2013 Community installed.

Dunno if these lines from the log would be relevant, but anyway - these seem to happen if I do File->Package Project->Linux:
              [2015.03.04-13.58.56:074][426]LogUObjectGlobals:Warning: Failed to find object 'Blueprint None.'
              [2015.03.04-13.58.56:074][426]LogWindows: LaunchURL http://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/index.html
              Last edited by Sslaxx; 03-04-2015, 10:43 AM. Reason: More detail, hopefully?
              Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Comment

Same problem here. Downloaded toolchain, set variable LINUX_Root, regenerated project files, "Linux" not available (only Win32 and Win64 as before).

Comment

Same thing , I did try the powershell script as well.
                  Github - YouTube - Unreal Slackers - KITATUS

Comment

Same problems

I just downloaded the latest engine source files from github, I followed the instructions for the toolchain from here and when I run GenerateProjectFiles.bat I get this error:

Click image for larger version

Name:	err.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1093749

Comment

Working...
                    X