Listen server port forwarding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    this is one of the benefits of using steam... I am by no means an expert - I believe the tech you need is stuff like STUN, TURN ,ICE
    http://anyconnect.com/stun-turn-ice/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    3 years later and here I am asking the same question you had. Thanks for posting that link- looks like a good lead.

If, however, anyone happened to both read this and know how to make UE4 plugins... Just sayin'- I'd pay good money for something that would just work out of the box and let me get back to messing around with blueprints.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iCode View Post
    I am sort of confused about how you are supposed to implement a listen server in a non LAN environment. For example, let's say I wanted to create a coop 2 player game. So one day PlayerA might want to host, the next PlayerB may want to host. From what I understand, the only way a given player can host a public game with a listen server architecture is if they have the correct port open on their router (7777) by default. However, I cant remember the last time I bought a game, and had to go into my router settings to change it ports so I could play the game, so I feel like I am missing something obvious. I guess my question is this, if people are using a listen server architecture for their games, how are they getting around the port forwarding problem so the user doesn't have to adjust their router settings to host a public game.
    Thanks!
    Small update in case anyone else has this issue, apparently there are software libraries that can open up ports on your router. I have not tried this, but i just wanted to share in case anyone else had this question:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ing-serve.html

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Listen server port forwarding question

Listen server port forwarding question

I am sort of confused about how you are supposed to implement a listen server in a non LAN environment. For example, let's say I wanted to create a coop 2 player game. So one day PlayerA might want to host, the next PlayerB may want to host. From what I understand, the only way a given player can host a public game with a listen server architecture is if they have the correct port open on their router (7777) by default. However, I cant remember the last time I bought a game, and had to go into my router settings to change it ports so I could play the game, so I feel like I am missing something obvious. I guess my question is this, if people are using a listen server architecture for their games, how are they getting around the port forwarding problem so the user doesn't have to adjust their router settings to host a public game.
    Thanks!
Working...
X