NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Place for NVIDIA Gameworks discussion and information about the integration of gameworks into ue4 and its progress.

Please put any issue reports and questions here to keep it better structured, and not mix everything together:
    https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/issues

Old: So, as I was asked to put this question here, is there any work being done on integrating NVIDA Gameworks technologies? As it would be really awesome to have them i the engine.
    Last edited by Cube2222; 02-25-2015, 03:40 PM.

I think PhysX SDK can easily be integrated using C++, it doesn't matter if it's a third-part tool

Comment

Originally posted by Sabino98 View Post
      I think PhysX SDK can easily be integrated using C++, it doesn't matter if it's a third-part tool
      UE4 already using PhysX
      =========
      My Tutorials:
      Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

I actually mean things like flameworks, waveworks, fluids, flex.

Comment

The framework is present for it to be integrated but you'll need to license some parts that are not freely available.

Taken from Nvidia's Page: https://developer.nvidia.com/what-is-gameworks

Licensing
          Many NVIDIA GameWorks components including tools, samples and binaries are freely available to all developers. For other binary or source code access please contact us at Game Works Licensing: VisualFX-Licensing@nvidia.com

From my understanding there is no work being done to integrate this into the engine. As James Golding has said before regarding other Nvidia tech it would need to be available in a cross-platform method such as Cloth and Destruction are handled.

Tim
          Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
          UE4 Documentation
          Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Comment

how about TressFX? A fairy told me that version 3.0 with fur support and maya plugin is coming soon. Oh yes, public sources and no gfx mafia license restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Alessiot89 View Post
              how about TressFX? A fairy told me that version 3.0 with fur support and maya plugin is coming soon. Oh yes, public sources and no gfx mafia license restrictions.

I'm in full support of BOTH Nvidia & AMD tech integration, but I do completely understand that other things stand as a priority, since these solutions are very one sided, especially the Nvidia ones. That said, I would assume that Nvidia and AMD would each be working on integrating their tech into the most popular engines as plugins.

Comment

Hi,

I posted a fork of UE4 with WaveWorks integrated on a branch. The sample content is minimal, but you'll find some documentation lurking in the ThirdParty folder under WaveWorks.

https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine

--Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                  Hi,

I posted a fork of UE4 with WaveWorks integrated on a branch. The sample content is minimal, but you'll find some documentation lurking in the ThirdParty folder under WaveWorks.

https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine

--Mike
                  Wow! You come bearing gifts I see, this will be fun to tinker with!!

Thank you Mike, Happy Holidays!
                  Last edited by DotCam; 12-24-2014, 12:03 PM.
                  Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

My pleasure, hope you find it useful. We'll be adding more sample content and features in the coming weeks, including Gerstner waves for shoreline interaction, boats with buoyancy, etc. We're also working on integrations of the VXGI global illumination system, hair and fur, FleX multi-physics, and grass/vegetation package, among other things.

Happy Holidays!
                    Last edited by Mike.Skolones; 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                      We'll be adding more sample content and features in the coming weeks, including Gerstner waves for shoreline interaction, boats with buoyancy, etc.
                      I'm working on a project using Gerstner waves right now actually, everything is implemented inside material functions instead of code, except for Buoyancy at this point (which I haven't released, but is *almost* working). It's not anywhere near as fancy as WaveWorks, but it has been an interesting project so far. Here's a link with it implemented in case you are interested.

I thought WaveWorks used FFT instead of Gerstner waves (Tessendorf's method)? Or are there multiple variations?

We're also working on integrations of the VXGI global illumination system, hair and fur, FleX multi-physics, and grass/vegetation package, among other things.
                      That's awesome! There are so many requests for all these features lately, it will be great to see it integrated! Thanks Mike
                      Last edited by DotCam; 12-24-2014, 01:25 PM.
                      Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Wonderful, yes, I'll be taking a good look at that ocean project. Sailing is one of my major passions, and I'm looking forward to the development of all of this water tech. Sailing simulators aren't the most popular genre, but I think they are due for a tech upgrade.

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                        I thought WaveWorks used FFT instead of Gerstner waves (Tessendorf's method)? Or are there multiple variations?
                        Yes, the basic WaveWorks feature is an FFT generator, but having worked closely with developers on a few applications recently we added Gerstner features for better control over near-shore behavior; key gameplay zones are typically near a shore, rather than in the middle of a fully developed sea. I've seen several posts on the forum about buoyancy and shore-zone waves, and I'm not claiming that our integration will be everything to everyone, but it should be a good start.

Comment

This is awesome, Mike!

You are a machine! I'm getting and checking out your vehicle and WaveWorks builds now.

Thanks!

Tim
                          Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
                          UE4 Documentation
                          Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Comment

You are absolutely awesome!!!
                            I've got a question though, I just looked through the code and pdf file, and it seems so that you can use the cpu for waveworks simulation, is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Cube2222 View Post
                              I just looked through the code and pdf file, and it seems so that you can use the cpu for waveworks simulation, is that true?
                              There is a build of WaveWorks that runs on CPU, but the one checked into this branch is GPU-only, based on CUDA. We are also working on a DXC version.

Comment

Working...
                              X