No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Mike I cloned VXGI branch via Github but the samples fodler didin't appear now. Really weird. Anyway, like what GalaxyMan2015 said, it seems even Git version has the same problems.

It seems even Hairworks is having same problem when I open Manajaldon level, I get this error:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40612[/ATTACH]
    Btw, for HairWorks I noticed that when AA is set to epic the hair strands flicker very much are discontinued dots when they move. When I set AA to low, they are a little betetr and even more hair strands become visible. You advised to disable AA. To disable AA, from what I understood,we need to turn it off from a post process volume like here: Click image for larger version

Name:	378px-OculusRiftBugTemporalAA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1078740

but the samples in HairWorks branch have no post process volumes to disable AA from them. So the only option is to set AA to low via setings which doesn't solve the flickering problems once and for all. Is there a way to totally disable AA for those samples?

I also noticed, there are the human heads samples like in the 1.1 viewer but they don't have their don't have their own levels like Manajalodon and Mite. Putting them in a default level doesn't bring the optimal lighting conditions for the heads and they are almost totally dark, so I have to test them in the Mnajaladon or Mite Levels. It seems each ahirworks sample needs a specific lighting condition to look alright.

I noticed in HairWorksDemo\Content\HairWorks some videos. Are they suppsoed to play in the editor in some tutorial section or what? Also the furspecular and and furwithlights shows that HairWorks can work in such situations while you said there were problems with specular and lighting conditions for UE4 integration. Was that solved with the latest build? Thanks !
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
      @Mike I cloned VXGI branch via Github but the samples fodler didin't appear now. Really weird. Anyway, like what GalaxyMan2015 said, it seems even Git version has the same problems.

It seems even Hairworks is having same problem when I open Manajaldon level, I get this error:

Btw, for HairWorks I noticed that when AA is set to epic the hair strands flicker very much are discontinued dots when they move. When I set AA to low, they are a little betetr and even more hair strands become visible. You advised to disable AA. To disable AA, from what I understood,we need to turn it off from a post process volume like here: [ATTACH=CONFIG]40618[/ATTACH]

but the samples in HairWorks branch have no post process volumes to disable AA from them. So the only option is to set AA to low via setings which doesn't solve the flickering problems once and for all. Is there a way to totally disable AA for those samples?

I also noticed, there are the human heads samples like in the 1.1 viewer but they don't have their don't have their own levels like Manajalodon and Mite. Putting them in a default level doesn't bring the optimal lighting conditions for the heads and they are almost totally dark, so I have to test them in the Mnajaladon or Mite Levels. It seems each ahirworks sample needs a specific lighting condition to look alright.

I noticed in HairWorksDemo\Content\HairWorks some videos. Are they suppsoed to play in the editor in some tutorial section or what? Also the furspecular and and furwithlights shows that HairWorks can work in such situations while you said there were problems with specular and lighting conditions for UE4 integration. Was that solved with the latest build? Thanks !
      Hi,

I'll investigate the problem with the error messages. It seems that they might be inconsequential, given that you are running all of the samples. Are you actually able to see the Manjalodon? He's the mean-looking animal with fur.

Regarding AA, I'm afraid we'll have to live with this problem for a little while. The choice was to either push this first pass integration of HairWorks out onto Github now, or wait until we resolved all of these issues before pushing it out. Despite clear indications that this is a WIP, not a production feature yet, I think it was worth distributing it as it is. I'll ask the team if there is a way to disable the AA completely.

Regarding the human heads, the assets are there and you should be able to put them in individual levels, as far as I know. We decided to go with a single map instead of multiple maps, but we can add more as time goes on. Feel free to experiment with the assets and set up your own level. Ultimately it doesn't seem right that each HW asset should need its own lighting, the goal should be to have multiple assets looking great in a scene with a single light setup.

I thought I had deleted all the videos from the Content section, perhaps I missed some. They were for internal use while doing the integration.

Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

FleX update...Fluid Surface shaders now on Github

Hello friends,

I just finished pushing an update to the FleX branch on https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine.git. This latest update includes the long-awaited fluid surface shaders, along with numerous bug fixes and documentation update. I haven't yet downloaded it into a clean folder for a round-trip check, please let me know if anything goes awry.

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
          If you prefer a GUI, SourceTree seems pretty nice for using GitHub. I've used it to clone multiple versions. Though don't ask me how to get things to actually sync on the GitHub website itself. Haven't tried merging different branches with it yet.

So what happened with the Witcher 3? Apparently the developers said HairWorks couldn't be optimized for AMD. I honestly prefer Nvidia DCC tools. Speaking of which, I can't find the latest versions, nothing seems to show up on my devsupport account.
          I can't speak for the developer, but I can tell you that the HairWorks relies heavily on tessellation, which we believe is a better way to model hair because if it is properly set up you can afford more than a single character on-screen, and as you get closer to the character the level of detail can be progressively increased. It is well known that some GPUs perform tessellation better than others. When the dust settles, and appropriate settings are found for all hardware combinations, I think players with recent GPUs will find that HairWorks in W3 adds real visual appeal at an acceptable cost to the frame rate.

Where are you looking for the DCC tools? Devsupport.NVidia.com? We do have all the plugins there, both the standard versions and the HairWorks plugins. Please send me a private message and I'll look into it.
          -Mike

Comment

@Mike yes I can see the Manjaladon. but I hope the errors in VXGI SciFi Hallway and and HairWorks Manjaladon will be solved soon. Oh and please don't remove the videos XD. They don't do any harm haha.

And thank you very very much for updated flew too. I really hope one day we will have a final merged bracnh for all where the flex liquid interact on hairworks with combined wet shader and when the hair strands move they react to VXGI indirect lighitng thus making self shadowing on the head really awesome and totally realistic. I hope this will be possible one day.

BTW, I noticed this 'Merge branch FleXSurface' of ssh://stl-git.nvidia.com/home/repo/UnrealEngine into FleXSurface'

What is this git branch of NVidia called FlexSurface? Is it different or more updated then the UE4 integration?
            Last edited by Nudlegaru; 05-22-2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
              @Mike yes I can see the Manjaladon. but I hope the errors in VXGI SciFi Hallway and and HairWorks Manjaladon will be solved soon. Oh and please don't remove the videos XD. They don't do any harm haha.

And thank you very very much for updated flew too. I really hope one day we will have a final merged bracnh for all where the flex liquid interact on hairworks with combined wet shader and when the hair strands move they react to VXGI indirect lighitng thus making self shadowing on the head really awesome and totally realistic. I hope this will be possible one day.

BTW, I noticed this 'Merge branch FleXSurface' of ssh://stl-git.nvidia.com/home/repo/UnrealEngine into FleXSurface'

What is this git branch of NVidia called FlexSurface? Is it different or more updated then the UE4 integration?
              That comment in the log was just a typo. We used a separate branch called 'FleXSurface' to develop the fluid surface shader and related changes. Today I merged the FleXSurface branch back into the FleX branch so I could push it out on Github. The comment should have read "'Merge branch FleXSurface' of ssh://stl-git.nvidia.com/home/repo/UnrealEngine into FleX'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                Hello friends,

I just finished pushing an update to the FleX branch on https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine.git. This latest update includes the long-awaited fluid surface shaders, along with numerous bug fixes and documentation update. I haven't yet downloaded it into a clean folder for a round-trip check, please let me know if anything goes awry.

Thanks,
                Mike
                Great, have been waiting for the fluid shader, attempted it myself and got swallowed up by the particle code.

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                I think players with recent GPUs will find that HairWorks in W3 adds real visual appeal at an acceptable cost to the frame rate.
                I can vouch for that, Titan X here, game runs smooth and HairWorks looks gorgeous.
                NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
                Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

The new VXGI is awesome!! I was pretty disappointed by the multi-bounce performance until I used the VxgiMapSize=64 and bVxgiHighQualityEmittanceDownsampling=false tweaks. Made a huge difference (from 6fps to 30fps on a GTX 670) and the lighting quality was still really impressive. You should make these the default settings in the next version.

I'm really stoked you guys made emissive lighting work as well. Lack of area lighting was one of the few major flaws of the UE4 engine. Well done, I can't wait to see what the future of VXGI brings...

Comment

The Flex Fluid shader is definitely cool but it highlights the limitations of UE4's current handling of translucent materials. Hopefully I can get it looking better when 4.8 finally ships.

I'm glad to see it in action though. It really is amazing.

Comment

Don't get your hopes too high up on that. As far as it seems, 4.8 just adds a little glitter on top of the problem. The underlying issue still remains. There is no real translucent shading in UE4 as of now. What i mean by that is, that translucent surfaces don't get any real lighting, they just appear totally flat. There is also no real refractive coloring or any kind of (fake) sss effect going on... Thus (deeper) water or colored glass ist something we can just try to fake or imitate, but it won't look as good as in some other engines.
                      Unfortunately there is still no word on this whole issue from epic. They said they would be working on something by last year, but since then, no news about that anymore.
                      I really hope they haven't put that issue asside...

Comment

Upgraded FleX branch to 4.8 to see how using the fluid shader with 4.8 features would look. hard to capture in motion, I modified it to suit my needs more, still needs some more tweaking, but I am happy with the results in 4.8 so far.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	TranslucentImprovements3.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1078772

Name:	TranslucentImprovements4.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1078776

Name:	TranslucentImprovements4.jpg
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1078777

Comment

wao are you're going to use 4.8 preview? don't you think better wait for 4.8?
                          Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandosh View Post
                            wao are you're going to use 4.8 preview? don't you think better wait for 4.8?
                            This is just experimentation for the moment, I have no qualms with updating it again to 4.8 when it is released

Comment

@GalaxyMan2015, what are the 4.8 feature that make fluid shader look different from 4.7? I thought the main 4.8 features were DFGI and HFGI. Did you try fluid with 4.8 Gis to see if they have kind of colour bleeding or dynamic reflections? What about VXGI? Did you merge newest Flex with Newest VXGI to see how VXGI behave on them too?

Comment

@GalaxyMan2015 Do you mind uploading the 4.8 Flex upgrade? Or giving instructions on how to do it myself? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X