NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blakblt View Post
    Hey Mike I've been playing with the latest VXGI for an hour or so and so far it's fantastic! Shader compile times are much faster, having VXGI Voxelation enabled by default saves tons of time with converting projects, and the multi-bounce is working great. I do have one new concern however. Performance seems to have dropped since the previous release. Simple scenes that used to run with 30ms in fullscreen on my gtx 770 are now running with 35-36ms, with or without multi-bounce. When I say simple, I mean like the sample for the FPS template.

Edit: I just tried out the reflection subway scene, I'm getting 110ms in fullscreen on epic.

Edit2: VXGI doesn't play well with stationary lights. Shadows are completely ignored for voxelation.

Edit3: Disabling static lighting and changing all lights to movable increases performance greatly.
    Does switching r.VXGI.MultiBounceEnable change rendering time at all?

Setting bVxgiMultiBounceSupport=false in BaseEngine.ini should reduce rendering time - insignificantly on a 980, but maybe it will help more on a 770.

How much does disabling static lighting help, and how does that affect the end result?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
      Sorry, I don't have any information about the compatibility of upcoming DFGI with VXGI. We haven't started porting VXGI to UE4.8 yet.

Enabling multiple bounces in UE4 is really easy now, you just have to set r.VXGI.MultiBounceEnable to 1 and make sure that your BaseEngine.ini contains a "bVxgiMultiBounceSupport=true" line.
      i've got both of these settings turned on, but doesn't seem to make a difference when I set it to zero in the console.

Comment

Originally posted by gboxentertainment View Post
        i've got both of these settings turned on, but doesn't seem to make a difference when I set it to zero in the console.
        In some cases, like for scenes with dark materials or scenes with a lot of direct lighting, the contribution of multiple bounces can be hard to notice. Please look at r.VXGI.DebugMode 3 to see if there is any difference in the emittance voxels. With multiple bounces, indirectly lit surfaces should be voxelized too.

Comment

In some cases, like for scenes with dark materials or scenes with a lot of direct lighting, the contribution of multiple bounces can be hard to notice. Please look at r.VXGI.DebugMode 3 to see if there is any difference in the emittance voxels. With multiple bounces, indirectly lit surfaces should be voxelized too.
          i tried this. when I toggle r.vxgi.multibounceenable between 0 and 1 there is no difference.

Comment

ok so i figured it out that i have to set r.vxgi.multibounceirradiancescale to something higher than 1 - Awesome.
            Now when are they going to get particles working with this?

Comment

ok so i figured it out that i have to set r.vxgi.multibounceirradiancescale to something higher than 1 - Awesome.
              They're working on it. Sorry for not having it all done at once, tied up with a ribbon and all that. ;-P

Comment

Scale greater than 1 is odd, but OK if it works for you... Can you share some pictures?

Making particles work with VXGI is our next goal.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
                  I suspect you need v1.1 of the hairworks plugin. You will need Mike to give you access to the tools if they are not available to the public yet.
                  Right, anyone who is trying to use HairWorks will need the 1.1 version of the DCC plugins for Max and Maya, and might want to read the docs for HairWorks, etc. Please send me a private message and we'll sort out access, I'm not sure when the official release of HW will appear on developer.NVidia.com, so we have a temporary site set up that I have to configure manually for each user.

Comment

Does switching r.VXGI.MultiBounceEnable change rendering time at all?

Setting bVxgiMultiBounceSupport=false in BaseEngine.ini should reduce rendering time - insignificantly on a 980, but maybe it will help more on a 770.

How much does disabling static lighting help, and how does that affect the end result?
                    Multi-bounce only adds 1ms and improves quality significantly, so it's not a problem. As for static lighting, vxgi doesn't seem to take shadows from stationary lights into account. So one sunlight voxelizes all geometry and at much greater distance than a movable one for some reason. As for the quality, I already tend to not use static lighting, and have been developing a fully dynamic workflow. That being said, vxgi gives results that are very similar to static lighting if not better (mainly because of the specular tracing) and even without vxgi I've gotten very good results after some work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                      Right, anyone who is trying to use HairWorks will need the 1.1 version of the DCC plugins for Max and Maya, and might want to read the docs for HairWorks, etc. Please send me a private message and we'll sort out access, I'm not sure when the official release of HW will appear on developer.NVidia.com, so we have a temporary site set up that I have to configure manually for each user.
                      Finally got around to doing a quick test of exporting a HairWorks asset from 3dsmax using the Hair and Fur modifier into UE4. Very smooth, no issues with the process.

NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
                      Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

@Mike Will you release the HairWorks plugin for Blender and support it one day (maybe other moedeling tools too)?

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
                          @Mike Will you release the HairWorks plugin for Blender and support it one day (maybe other moedeling tools too)?
                          I don't think we have any plans for a blender plugin. Max and Maya are enough work in themselves, I'm afraid.

Comment

Hi mike,
                            I send yo a private message to request access to hairworks v1.1
                            Cheers.

Comment

I don't think we have any plans for a blender plugin. Max and Maya are enough work in themselves, I'm afraid.
                              Since you can Create a hair asset from a descriptor and data, would it be against any sort of agreement if someone from the community was to write a blender plugin and then write an import factory for importing the custom hair asset?
                              NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
                              Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

@ Mike no problem.

@Alexey in page 34, I highlighted some problems of VXGI from your official slideshows. Are they now solved? I also gave a link for another comment in another thread about a GI test in Cryengine using two bounces and multiple moving GI sources creating dynamic lighting and indirect lighting via two bounces when moving thus creating real reflections that result in voxels in reflections while moving (you can download the sample from the link of my comment on that thread). How are you managing movable GI sources? I hope you already solved most of the previosu problems you highlighted first like voxels in reflections for static meshes, so you can solve problems caused by movable ones and especially dynamic GI sources. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X