No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeww time to set my GPU on fiyyahhh. (Would be a great excuse to walk out the door and grab a 970 amiright?).
    Last edited by Xerithas; 05-19-2015, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Not sure if its just me, but I seem to be missing GFSDK_VXGI_NVAPI_x64.dll and therefore am unable to load the editor with the new VXGI build. I cannot see it in the repo. Has it been missed? Or is it a mistake at my end?
      NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
      Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
        Not sure if its just me, but I seem to be missing GFSDK_VXGI_NVAPI_x64.dll and therefore am unable to load the editor with the new VXGI build. I cannot see it in the repo. Has it been missed? Or is it a mistake at my end?
        You're right, it is missing from Github. Sorry about that.
        I uploaded this DLL to Google Drive while Mike is offline (we're in different time zones).
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6L...ew?usp=sharing

Also I'll try to help Mike answer technical questions about VXGI here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
          You're right, it is missing from Github. Sorry about that.
          I uploaded this DLL to Google Drive while Mike is offline (we're in different time zones).
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6L...ew?usp=sharing

Also I'll try to help Mike answer technical questions about VXGI here.
          Sweet, thanks for that Alexey. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
            The update doesn't include the dragon, I'm afraid...just the same SciFi Hallway and Cornell Box. The dragon is in the VXGI demo application available with the VXGI download on developer.nvidia.com.
            Actually the application that rendered that dragon is not available for download anywhere, it's our development framework. There are non-UE VXGI samples available at developer.nvidia.com upon request, and if there is demand, I can create one more sample to demonstrate the user defined tracing shaders feature, which was used to create the refractive material. I can't promise that such material will appear in UE4 yet.

Comment

I'd also like to clarify something about the new multi-bounce support. It is not computing a fixed number of bounces, like 2 or 3. Instead, it computes an irradiance voxel texture after voxelizing scene geometry for a frame. That texture is used in the voxelization pass on the next frame: the voxelization shader calls VXGI::GetIrradiance to obtain it, and multiplies the irradiance by r.VXGI.MultiBounceIrradianceScale. You can see the irradiance texture by setting r.VXGI.DebugMode to 4.

What this means:
              1) VXGI computes one more bounce on every frame, with old information slowly fading away.
              2) Additional bounces are updated slightly later than the original lighting, but that is not visible in most cases.
              3) When r.VXGI.MultiBounceIrradianceScale is too high (and in some cases 1.0 is too high and something like 0.8 is just right), the feedback from the previous frame is too strong and irradiance just blows up exponentially. We're working on a solution that tries to prevent this from ever happening, but it's not ready yet.

Also, multi-bounce support means that you will now see the whole scene in specular reflections, not just the lit objects.

Comment

Wow Alexey! You guys are awesome! As the rendering quality gets refined and the glitches dissapear, VXGI will truly become a real alternativ to offline renderers for me! At least for some things!

How do I update to the new version of VXGI? Do I have to rebuild it etc in VS or is it more simple than that?
                Last edited by tim.holm; 05-20-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thank you Alexey.

Comment

Originally posted by tim.holm View Post
                    How do I update to the new version of VXGI? Do I have to rebuild it etc in VS or is it more simple than that?
                    You have to get the latest tree from Github and build UE4. And place the missing DLL file that I posted above into Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/GameWorks/VXGI/Win64/VS2013 (until Mike submits it to Github later today).

Comment

I'm certifiably Git-tarded, but syncing (just with windows client) should do the trick.
                      After that you'll need to grab the dll provided and paste it in here "Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/GameWorks/VXGI/Win64/VS2013/" <---

Build engine and you should be good to go.

Comment

Sorry about the missing DLL, I pushed it up to Github just now. I was bitten by .gitignore, I really should fix that. There might still be some other missing binaries, I'll double check.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                          Sorry about the missing DLL, I pushed it up to Github just now. I was bitten by .gitignore, I really should fix that. There might still be some other missing binaries, I'll double check.
                          I did a successful run after obtaining the missing DLL, so I don't think there is anything else missing, but can't hurt to double check.

Comment

Actually the application that rendered that dragon is not available for download anywhere, it's our development framework. There are non-UE VXGI samples available at developer.nvidia.com upon request, and if there is demand, I can create one more sample to demonstrate the user defined tracing shaders feature, which was used to create the refractive material. I can't promise that such material will appear in UE4 yet.
                            Hi Alexey and thank you for the explanation. Could you please upload the application with that dragon at devsupport.nvidia.com/ so we can see how refractions work with two bounces since refractive materials aren't ready for ue4? I was really amazed by sych screens and it would be very kind of you and Mike to let us try it. Thanks.

Comment

You have to get the latest tree from Github and build UE4. And place the missing DLL file that I posted above into Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/GameWorks/VXGI/Win64/VS2013 (until Mike submits it to Github later today).
                              So now that he has added the missing .dll files. Sync with the windows client and only build UE4 in VS? Sorry for stupid questions but Github is seriously confusing for me

Comment

Originally posted by tim.holm View Post
                                So now that he has added the missing .dll files. Sync with the windows client and only build UE4 in VS? Sorry for stupid questions but Github is seriously confusing for me
                                That should work. Github is a bit confusing, there is no shame in admitting it. Every time I think I've figured out Git, something new comes up to make me scratch my head. Personally I prefer to synch with the git shell, not the windows client, but others have a different opinion. Also, some prefer the Tortoise integration into the Windows explorer.

Comment

Working...
                                X