Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is your water white?

Comment

Yes it is a bit too much, but in a river when water is flowing it is kind of white
      Click image for larger version

Name:	rapids.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1064901

If you meant when zoomed out, then i dont know where i can change it, its based on distance, LOD i think
      Last edited by janis; 01-05-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I realise this is a bit far out still, since you've said hairworks is a bit further off, but is there a chance for a standalone tool for applying the hair to an imported FBX?
        I was thrilled to see this was the case with Apex cloth, since I'm not a maya/max user, and it would be a bit of a shame to have to rent/purchase one of them just to get hairworks up and running.

(If there is a way to do this in the existing hairworks viewer than I failed to find it, sorry!)

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
          Will the performance in DirectX Compute be the same as on CUDA? If so, Nvidia could no longer use CUDA as a marketing argument, so I guess they don't want DXC to have the same performance as CUDA. Nvidia always shows they don't want to cooperate with AMD, so I cant really imagine it would be a lot different here. AMD made Mantle open to use for Nvidia, but they don't want to, and that's sad since Mantle would allow Linux users in the future to have same performance as on Windows. And if Nvidia would also support Mantle, Epic would have no reason to not implement it in UE4. You may say Mantle is useless since we will have DirectX 12 in the future, but we all know, it will be exclusive to Windows 10
          If we can get the DirectX Compute performance comparable to CUDA we will be comfortable with it. Whether we would also choose to drop the CUDA implementation at that point remains to be seen. It's not just about performance, it's also about development velocity and understanding what is possible with our GPU architecture. Within the game tech group, we rely heavily on the teams who develop CUDA and the drivers, and it might be risky to put all of our eggs in the DirectX Compute basket.

Although I would prefer to refrain from indulging in another silly flame war, I think it's worth mentioning that CUDA is not strictly proprietary to NV, AMD declined to support it. These situations are always more complicated than they appear in the marketing battles. I'll stick to the technical side of things and try to help people make better games. Nobody is being forced to use WaveWorks, we are working hard to help bring innovation to games.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarecoin View Post
            I realise this is a bit far out still, since you've said hairworks is a bit further off, but is there a chance for a standalone tool for applying the hair to an imported FBX?
            I was thrilled to see this was the case with Apex cloth, since I'm not a maya/max user, and it would be a bit of a shame to have to rent/purchase one of them just to get hairworks up and running.

(If there is a way to do this in the existing hairworks viewer than I failed to find it, sorry!)
            I'll ask about that, but it is really expensive to replicate Max/Maya functionality in a stand-alone tool, so I suspect we don't have anything like that in the pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by janis View Post
              I'm having troubles trying to pack with waveworks, is it packable, or will it be available as soon as it's officialy released?

Playing with a Boat and dreaming of Buoyancy

Having troubles with framerates, could be because of the high resolution plane used 500K triangles.
              But it could be because of my messy Blueprint code
              By 'packable', you mean to bake all the assets and create a stand-alone game? I haven't tried that yet personally, I wouldn't be shocked if there are issues with it.

Comment

Yes, as a stand-alone game, it's for a highschool project where you can drive a boat

I'll try it in a blank project and report back if it does work.

Waveworks is something I've dreamed about since started to search for good looking waves,
                this is really awesome seeing its coming now to Unreal Engine, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                  What do you mean by 'open'? Source available to you as an individual developer? Or source just thrown out in the wild?
                  Both, not only for Gameworks, also for Geforce arch documentation. I know that there are always some "secret" that in every company no-one want to share to the public for a set of very good reasons, but for individuals or very small teams optimizing for both major GPU IHVs (AMD and NVIDIA) is quite impossible due the lack of a good and public documentation. A lot of times optimizing shader for NV architectures means guess the GPU behavior from CUDA documentation (and unfortunately AMD decided to NOT support CUDA ). Most of optimization for NV GPUs I can find come from PowerPoints/PDFs of keynotes, Siggraphs et simila) . Gameworks looks really amazing, but only for very few compiled sample I need to sign an NDA. If there are performance issues source code access is mandatory, and yet another, more "special", NDA ask the company.
                  On the other side (AMD), there are few interesting demos with full source code. They are optimized only for GCN of course, but nothing prevent no-one to change the code and optimize for other architecture. I don't want to be polemic at all, but did NVIDIA ever consider to public a version of TressFX optimized for its GPUs, just to let developers who choose TressFX to good performance on GeForce?

Since Direct3D 12 is coming (true multithreading, hurray!), I really hope to see more changes from all IHVs in the next years

Comment

NVIDIA FlameWorks would have been nice too
                    System
                    ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

ArtStation
                    Artwork thread

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVa0NOFdwM

Oddly I think it's TurfEffects that I'm most excited for. Does VXGI currently supported animated meshes? (receiving or reflecting?)

Comment

Originally posted by Piers909 View Post
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVa0NOFdwM

Oddly I think it's TurfEffects that I'm most excited for. Does VXGI currently supported animated meshes? (receiving or reflecting?)
                        Yes, VXGI will support animated meshes, but we haven't shown that content yet. Hopefully we'll have VXGI posted by the end of the month, with some simple content. You can't push big files on Github directly, so we'll need a convenient way to distribute sample content.

Comment

Wait wait wait... I guess I lost a lot of happenings here... Going back to read
                          | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
                            Hopefully we'll have VXGI posted by the end of the month, with some simple content.
                            Are you going to push it to Nvidia GitHub or is it going to be implemented by Epic on their GitHub?
                            Unreal Issue Tracker - Desktop App for Unreal Engine Issues
                            Unreal Nexus - Create Share and Experience!

Unreal Engine 4 World-Wide User Map

[PLUGIN] Aws Gamelift Client Plugin
                            [TOOL] Create your own binary release of UE4 from GitHub source
                            [Marketplace] Vehicle Soccer Template
                            [Marketplace] Objective Waypoint System
                            My UE4 Tutorials and Misc Tools

Lead Programmer at YetiTech Studios
                            Your Friendly Neighborhood
                            Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

Comment

Is it likely that we'll still see Turf/FLEX at the end of the month too?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
                                Are you going to push it to Nvidia GitHub or is it going to be implemented by Epic on their GitHub?
                                It's all Epic's GitHub. https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine is a fork of Epic's main line.

--Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X