NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike.Skolones View Post
    We've had people looking at this problem for several weeks now, but it is a tough nut to crack. It seems that we can't do much to reduce the actual shader compile times, so we are looking to minimize the number of recompiles forced on you when you make a change.
    Thanks for reply.
    Assets: Military Ammunition (Released)
    Plugins: BlueManBPFunctionLibrary C++ plugin (Free), Blue Man Vehicle AI Plugin (Released), Air Resistance C++ Plugin (WIP), Blue Man Vehicle Physics Plugin (Marketplace)
    Projects: Giants Of Destruction

Comment

Welcome back Mike. and really thank you for the HairWorks repository. After seeing your awesome work in The Witcher 3 for the HairWorks, I really expect to have same quality for UE4 if not better. Thank you very much.
      Last edited by Nudlegaru; 05-18-2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Hooray!! Christmas is here!
        Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
          Welcome back Mike. and really thank you for the HairWorks repository. After seeing your awesome work in The Witcher 3 for the HairWorks, I really expect to have same quality for UE4 if not better. Thank you very much.
          You're welcome! I'm afraid we have several rendering issues to sort through before you will see UE4 match that level of visual quality. But we're on it, so it's mostly a matter of time.

Comment

I have noticed that parameters inside materials (not only material instances) can be changed without recompiling the material, I don't even remember if it's that way with normal UE4 as I haven't used it for a while.
            Really it's not much trouble to create a material without VXGI switched on, when it's roughly how you want create a material instance and switch on VXGI and boom, hardly any waiting.

@Daniel.Wenograd

I've had some light leaking/issues when using Ray Traced Distance Field Shadows alongside VXGI (with Directional and Spot lights).
            I'm still playing with it to see what's really going on/if it's my fault.

EDIT: I have to use VERY bright spot lights to really see this behavior.

Comment

Hello friends,

Very sorry for the long delay and my absence from the forum lately, things have been busy with travel, etc. I'm happy to announce that the first-pass integration of HairWorks is up on Github now, https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/HairWorks. There are plenty of issues yet to be resolved, we're not happy with the shadows and aliasing, and there are other rendering artifacts here and there. Also, this first pass is implemented using Blueprints for managing and tuning the hair assets, and we expect this will change in the near future, so please don't expect any assets you create with this first-pass integration to be future-proof. Be sure to plug in an Xbox controller when running the HairWorks map, the controls are blueprinted to the controller buttons right now; we'll create a keyboard map in a future pass.

Thanks,
              Mike
              Hi Mike, fantastic news, I have looked forward to hairworks for awhile and I will downlod and compile ASAP. Is there any news on the watershader for flex?
              Thanks for these wonderful technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Number47 View Post
                Hi Mike, fantastic news, I have looked forward to hairworks for awhile and I will downlod and compile ASAP. Is there any news on the watershader for flex?
                Thanks for these wonderful technologies.
                The FleX water shader is running on my desktop PC and staged on our internal Git server, but there are several issues that need to be cleaned up before the devs responsible will sign off on releasing it. I'm optimistic that you'll see it on Github later this week.

Comment

You're welcome! I'm afraid we have several rendering issues to sort through before you will see UE4 match that level of visual quality. But we're on it, so it's mostly a matter of time.
                  No problem. Btw, does HairWorks support fluid shaders and alpha maps which make the hair wet and which implies the need of newer physics to make it look and move heavily (some are speculating that the Witcher 3 has that)? If so, then will you provide it for UE4? Thanks.

Comment

No problem. Btw, does HairWorks support fluid shaders and alpha maps which make the hair wet and which implies the need of newer physics to make it look and move heavily (some are speculating that the Witcher 3 has that)? If so, then will you provide it for UE4? Thanks.
                    I'm not familiar with any hair-water tech, sounds like just rumors to me. I'll look into it. Believe me, just getting the hair system together is enough work.

Comment

I don't see why it would need fluid shaders for a wet hair look. Just needs to adjust the specularity of the hair, and as for physics you can probably tweak it until it seems to react more like wet hair.

Comment

@Mike - quick question - will these GameWorks features work in VR? VXGI and the fluid shaders in particular.
                        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                          @Mike - quick question - will these GameWorks features work in VR? VXGI and the fluid shaders in particular.
                          As far as I know, there are no issues with VXGI or fluid shaders in VR. However I'm not familiar personally with how UE4 behaves under VR, and I can't say that I've tested any of these integrations that way.

Comment

ah I'm getting a 404 from the hairworks ue4 link, anychance of a fix?
                            edit: nvm got it ^^
                            Last edited by lagdog; 05-18-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I'm not familiar with any hair-water tech, sounds like just rumors to me. I'll look into it. Believe me, just getting the hair system together is enough work.
                              After reading this http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gui...tweaking-guide

I found out : "To achieve a realistic look for Geralt's hair and beard, which grows as the game progresses, we developed new, more advanced stiffness and bending controls to allow for intricate styling. And for realistic shading in a world with dynamic weather and numerous locations, we introduced new diffuse, specular, and glint controls, enabling Geralt's white hair to match surrounding conditions.

Another new addition is the ability for Geralt's hair to get visibly wet, matching the shading properties applied to his wardrobe when taking a quick dip. Over time he'll dry out, and the appearance of hair will return to its normal state."

So basically, there is growth for both beard and hair in real-time and HairWorks support that also a "wet" shader is there to simulate wet appearance when getting wet and dry out in time. I know it is hard to make the hair system work and I really appreciate that but if you can do it one day for UE4, this would very kind of you.
                              Last edited by Nudlegaru; 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM.

Comment

After reading this http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gui...tweaking-guide

I found out : "To achieve a realistic look for Geralt's hair and beard, which grows as the game progresses, we developed new, more advanced stiffness and bending controls to allow for intricate styling. And for realistic shading in a world with dynamic weather and numerous locations, we introduced new diffuse, specular, and glint controls, enabling Geralt's white hair to match surrounding conditions.

Another new addition is the ability for Geralt's hair to get visibly wet, matching the shading properties applied to his wardrobe when taking a quick dip. Over time he'll dry out, and the appearance of hair will return to its normal state."

So basically, there is growth for both beard and hair in real-time and HairWorks support that also a "wet" shader is there to simulate wet appearance when getting wet and dry out in time. I know it is hard to make the hair system work and I really appreciate that but if you can do it one day for UE4, this would very kind of you.
                                Sure. I'll ask about it. We have a list of features to implement, and after that, we'll find time for the wet-hair shaders.

Comment

Working...
                                X