NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody,

I'm a UE4 user still new to Flex, and am extremely interested in building game-play using Flex for my physics-themed educational gaming project in the works.
    I've got a couple of queries that I hope you guys might be kind enough to shed some light on:
    - it seems to me that UE4 Flex doesn't currently support the ability to get info back from the simulation? (eg. particle velocity/position, contact details etc which are available in the API but not actually exposed in UE4 blueprints?)
    - the contact issue is trickier since the API itself only seems to expose contact planes(but nothing on the forces involved), and while I can do the usual computation(particle mass*velocity change on collision) to get an inkling of the force for colliding contacts, what about stuff like resting contact forces or rolling contact frictional forces?
    - is there any hope on the horizon that general contact forces may be made available eventually? (isn't this just a matter of exposing something that would've been computed internally anyway?)
    - although Flex doesn't currently support joints, Flex particles may be anchored to PhysX rigid bodies...thus presenting a way for Flex bodies to use the latter as proxies in order to be indirectly constrained by joints?
    - I was told that fracturable rigid/deformable bodies are actually supported(though the demos didn't show this)...can I presume that this means I can do stuff like breaking vases, splintering wooden planks, slicing jello, cracking glass, bullet ripping through metal sheet etc...just to give some vivid examples?

Cheers :-)
    Melvin Eng
    Workshop Foundry
    Last edited by Melvin Eng; 03-23-2015, 10:02 PM.

Comment

What is the possibility of VXGI becoming a plugin? Currently I have Unreal Engine installed twice, totalling 43 GB on a 250 GB SSD :P
      Is this something that will happen in the future or should I be dumping the official build?

Comment

I dont think so, it has too many integrations into the actual engine. I believe WaveWorks and FLEX could potentially become plugins, but I dont see anyway that VXGI could. Unless more of the renderer is exposed to plugins. I suspect if anything it could come integrated with UE4 as default, and be switched on/off but thats about it.
        NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
        Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin Eng View Post
          Hi everybody,

I'm a UE4 user still new to Flex, and am extremely interested in building game-play using Flex for my physics-themed educational gaming project in the works.
          I've got a couple of queries that I hope you guys might be kind enough to shed some light on:
          - it seems to me that UE4 Flex doesn't currently support the ability to get info back from the simulation? (eg. particle velocity/position, contact details etc which are available in the API but not actually exposed in UE4 blueprints?)
          - the contact issue is trickier since the API itself only seems to expose contact planes(but nothing on the forces involved), and while I can do the usual computation(particle mass*velocity change on collision) to get an inkling of the force for colliding contacts, what about stuff like resting contact forces or rolling contact frictional forces?
          - is there any hope on the horizon that general contact forces may be made available eventually? (isn't this just a matter of exposing something that would've been computed internally anyway?)
          - although Flex doesn't currently support joints, Flex particles may be anchored to PhysX rigid bodies...thus presenting a way for Flex bodies to use the latter as proxies in order to be indirectly constrained by joints?
          - I was told that fracturable rigid/deformable bodies are actually supported(though the demos didn't show this)...can I presume that this means I can do stuff like breaking vases, splintering wooden planks, slicing jello, cracking glass, bullet ripping through metal sheet etc...just to give some vivid examples?

Cheers :-)
          Melvin Eng
          Workshop Foundry
          Interesting questions not looked into contact information myself yet. Regarding your last point isn't most of that covered with PhysX Destruction anyway? For the jello/jelly example you would want a spring based solution as with the cloth examples I would think, but otherwise I don't understand how using Flex may have benefits over Destruction for those simulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplelexx View Post
            Interesting questions not looked into contact information myself yet. Regarding your last point isn't most of that covered with PhysX Destruction anyway? For the jello/jelly example you would want a spring based solution as with the cloth examples I would think, but otherwise I don't understand how using Flex may have benefits over Destruction for those simulations.
            Well for one, the PhysX Destruction in UE4 only works for rigid bodies(and still limited to the old-fashioned way of breaking off pre-defined chunks), which precludes effects like bending until breaking.
            If Flex already supports this, I imagined it'd make much more sense for developers who want flexible stuff that can break(and break in a more realistic procedural manner) to use Flex as an all-in-one.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
              I dont think so, it has too many integrations into the actual engine. I believe WaveWorks and FLEX could potentially become plugins, but I dont see anyway that VXGI could. Unless more of the renderer is exposed to plugins. I suspect if anything it could come integrated with UE4 as default, and be switched on/off but thats about it.
              Yeah, Epic should do one or the other. If I can run it on a GTX 580 as is, on Epic graphics mode, then it cannot be too expensive to support. As an artist, lightmaps take up an insane amount of my time and are incredibly restrictive. They need to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin Eng View Post
                Well for one, the PhysX Destruction in UE4 only works for rigid bodies(and still limited to the old-fashioned way of breaking off pre-defined chunks), which precludes effects like bending until breaking.
                If Flex already supports this, I imagined it'd make much more sense for developers who want flexible stuff that can break(and break in a more realistic procedural manner) to use Flex as an all-in-one.
                Ok, thanks for the reply. It will be interesting to see the technology and applications develop.

Comment

GalaxyMan2015, is there more progress on merging HBAO to 4.7 build? Would be lovely to have it. Oh, and thanks for your efforts!

Comment

Yeah hopefully tomorrow I will be able to upload, apologies for the delays, Flex took away a lot of my time, trying to get particles rendering as fluid, taking more time than I had hoped.
                    NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
                    Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

Awesome! Thanks again, dude!

Comment

Hi !

i'm looking for the VXGI but i don't find any link to download it. I try it with the github but it said that it's empty ...

Edit : I forget to attach my GitHub with the Unreal

But after downloading it, I put the entier Folder to my Unreal's folder and lauch Setup, and GenerateProjectFiles. What do i have to do ?

Thank you !
                        Last edited by erodann; 03-24-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
                          Yeah hopefully tomorrow I will be able to upload, apologies for the delays, Flex took away a lot of my time, trying to get particles rendering as fluid, taking more time than I had hoped.
                          Did you actually get fluid surface rendering working?

Comment

Hey does anyone know how to have multiple forks of UnrealEngine? I can't get both Nvidia's fork and another one, such as Galaxyman's, since they have the same name. I can't flat out clone them to desktop either, Guthub it won't let me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakblt View Post
                              Did you actually get fluid surface rendering working?
                              Ooh yes, very interested as well. I looked at the GL code but I'm very lost on Unreal's shader system. Started reading about factories and stuff, then left it alone.
                              It would be awesome if you're working on that, I'd like too see how the code gets converted. It will probably help me get a grip on the process a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakblt View Post
                                Hey does anyone know how to have multiple forks of UnrealEngine? I can't get both Nvidia's fork and another one, such as Galaxyman's, since they have the same name. I can't flat out clone them to desktop either, Guthub it won't let me.
                                I don't think Github is very friendly about this.
                                You need to make your own branch and merge things over I think, or rebuild everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X