No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. I'm another new one). Can I know about using gameworks in my project? I really interested in it. Need I to buy license? What is the main options?
    Last edited by OsirisDM27; 12-07-2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Little update on my end (sorry for the new post, for some reason editing my previous post kept failing):

I got the installed build working, finally! Now I'm going through and cleaning up things I never use in my projects, and optimizing a few things... I've got a respectable bit of performance in a test scene I whipped up. Averaging 40 FPS with VXGI, NVVL, and HBAO (on top of a few other post-process effects like motion blur, grain, bloom, etc). That's at 1080p, on my lowly GeForce 750ti and i5.

Getting the volumetric lighting (Nvidia's, not Epic's) to play nice took a lot of testing- boy is it finicky. Well worth it though. I intend to share my findings and set up for that once I get it down to a "science", if one could call it that. No guarantees, but I may set up a good scene and walk through the settings (keep in mind there are settings in post-process volume, lights themselves, world settings, and a few console variables). I must have gone through ~10 whitepapers, dozens of forums threads, etc. to add on to the minimal knowledge I already had on Rayleigh, Mie, and so on. I think I've found some "sane" defaults for a standard outdoor scene.

The screenshot below isn't showing of the NVVL magic as I've tuned it way down, but rather the VXGI/HBAO. Once I have a cooler test scene setup and get my engine build more stable, I'll pop back in share some more eye-candy. Oh, this is running the 4.17 version, FYI. I'm not excited to go through the pain of getting an installed build set up again, but definitely want all the glory 4.18 had to offer, hehe. Epic needs to make this area of the engine more approachable. It's powerful, not doubt, but full of issues. Anyhow, candy (note that compression lowered the quality)!

Comment

Originally posted by OsirisDM27 View Post
        Hi. I'm another new one). Can I know about using gameworks in my project? I really interested in it. Need I to buy license? What is the main options?
        There are 278 pages worth of information that will likely answer that and many, many more questions. Plus, Google. Not to sound like a jerk, but honestly all that info has been dredged up and covered dozens and dozens of times

Comment

Originally posted by Derjyn View Post

There are 278 pages worth of information that will likely answer that and many, many more questions. Plus, Google. Not to sound like a jerk, but honestly all that info has been dredged up and covered dozens and dozens of times
          I understand, but 1) Eng is not my native language 2) I'm starter and don't want to spend many time to this question. I know that there is an agreement on nvidia but it is large. My question is about 2 minutes to answer main. Thank you for understanding.

In addition: I use search in general discussion and it is search in all forum. Don't understand why... Sorry
          Last edited by OsirisDM27; 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OsirisDM27 View Post

I understand, but 1) Eng is not my native language 2) I'm starter and don't want to spend many time to this question. I know that there is an agreement on nvidia but it is large. My question is about 2 minutes to answer main. Thank you for understanding.

In addition: I use search in general discussion and it is search in all forum. Don't understand why... Sorry
            I understand. I was gonna post a "LMGTFY" link, but alas Here is Nvidia's page on it: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-gameworks-and-ue4 As far as the licensing, it's pretty much under the UE license umbrella (as far as I know).

On another note, here's another candy shot, this time with some NVVL love. I'm starting to wrap my head around Flow as well, so at some point I'll post some smokey shots.

Comment

Derjyn, may ask about what is LMGTFY but then google it). Are you shure or you don't know exactly about using in commerce project?

Really like this photo!

Comment

You can read the GameWorks SDK EULA here: https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworks-sdk-eula. Note that you need to register, if you aren't already. to follow the link properly you need to be logged in.

Reading over it, the basics seems to be you can use it for commercial use, but you need to inform Nvidia about it, and they have the right to use images/video and what-not for showcase/marketing purposes on their end. That's fine by me, as that's free advertising, haha... If Nvidia were to use something you made, that's always a good sign

Comment

As promised, some Flow magick. The "beam" there has collision on it and rotates, sweeping through the toxic smoke.

I'm impressed with Flow, but the performance is pretty bad. A lot of tweaking to get something that looks and runs good, and it's hit or miss as far as usability. It doesn't respond well to lighting. In those shots, the smoke is being lit by a directional light in the scene. However, if I put that smoke in an area with point lights, spotlights, emissive, whatever... Well, Flow elements don't seem to darken. I think Nvidia needs to work on lighting with Flow more. That, or I'm missing something. I've tinkered with materials, render materials, etc. All the Flow elements, pretty much.

I think currently, Unreal Engine's own particle systems are still the way to go for your average user. I could see doing plenty of one-off things with Flow, or something centered around it for a scene or a game-jam offering, or some sort of toy in general. You can really crank the quality up on it, that's for sure. That is a lower quality setup, and runs at ~25fps on my lowly rig.

Comment

Derjyn, big thanks for your answer. Can I ask another question. It is about Nvidia blast. What is the main differences beteen blast mesh and destructable mesh. Where I should use blast and where another. I googled already but cant find information about blast in unreal engine.
                    End another question about folder of compiled Unreal with gameworks. Is this 40Gb and all that files and folders there needed to work engine correctly?
                    Last edited by OsirisDM27; 12-09-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Blast has more detail, and better performance than the default destructible. You can find some in-depth info on Blast here (note that you need to be registered and logged in to follow that link).

As far as the compiled size- yep. Compiling from source results in a huge workspace. You can trim it down, but it's ill-advised during development. I'm still wrapping my head around making "installed builds", a similar sort of engine workspace you end up with when installing from the Epic Launcher. It's a bit advanced/intense and a lot of work. Things break, people starve, kittens start doing drugs. So for now, I'd just get familiar with things as they are, experiment with GameWorks, and worry about that insanity down the road

Comment

I have merged WaveWorks 4.16 with VRWorks 4.16. and when I enable LensMatchedShadingRendering this is what I get (see image below).

I'm trying to follow this page with instructions to integrate VRWorks in UE4: https://developer.nvidia.com/lens-ma...gration-part-2

I'm guessing it has to do with a missing FASTGS call in the vertex shader of the Waveworks Quad Tree or something. I'm not too familiar with the UE4 source, so any hints or help would be appreciated. F.ex. Where would this vertex shader be located in the source?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vr-wave.png
Views:	73
Size:	517.4 KB
ID:	1398903
                        Last edited by Rikard; 12-12-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

OK guys. All the links are dead and all guides that i ahve found in 2hrs of reading and looking lead to dead links or dead ends.

here is what i want to know.

1 ive got nvidia vxgi from here https://developer.nvidia.com/vxgi

2 where do i put the Files or what files do i run with what Software

im sorry but 277 pages of here ? this thing has to be pinned somewhere top. or is it difficult to run this and no one cant anylonger ?

Thanks hope u can help

Comment

As a favor to others here who (like me) are NOT experts, here are two tutorials I followed to successfully build Unreal Engine from source code that includes all the GameWorks features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6x0jTpKBUs

There’s no narration, and it goes fast so be prepared to pause and study at key points. Just follow what this guy does, and it works.

The other is an excellent tutorial from Johnb4467. He explains very clearly why and how you want to build Unreal Engine this way, and as a bonus he includes steps to add the Substance plugin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__hahPm22w

Very helpful, thanks John!

And thank you to Maxime.Dupart for putting the build together and saving us a lot of grief. I used his 4.17 build found here (be sure you’re logged in to your GitHub account or you’ll get a 404 error): https://github.com/MaximeDup/UnrealEngine

Comment

Originally posted by eleika View Post
                              OK guys. All the links are dead and all guides that i ahve found in 2hrs of reading and looking lead to dead links or dead ends.

here is what i want to know.

1 ive got nvidia vxgi from here https://developer.nvidia.com/vxgi

2 where do i put the Files or what files do i run with what Software

im sorry but 277 pages of here ? this thing has to be pinned somewhere top. or is it difficult to run this and no one cant anylonger ?

Thanks hope u can help
                              As developers/designers, we need to be prepared to read 278 pages, regularly.
                              Your options are to either: a) wait until stable builds are more common, or b) be ready to deal with a lot of issues. There is a more current build that's somewhat stable, with a majority of the GameWorks offerings, for 4.17, and another with Flex and Blast for 4.18.

Read back a few pages, you'll find it. If you intend to tinker with GameWorks, this thread with 278 pages is full of helpful information, so keep it handy!

Comment

VXGI 4.18 released
                                https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/VXGI-4.18
                                Nvidia GameWorks builds | 4.18.3 : Flex, Flow, VXGI, Blast, HairWorks, Volumetric Light, WaveWorks - Here

Comment

Working...
                                X