NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello
    Early https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...gration/page67 one interesting fellow "GalaxyMan2015's" I proposed the topic about the implementation of foam and spray in Flex. But unfortunately the theme was never disclosed and left to say into oblivion)) I'm tired of waiting and shoveled a plurality of reference text and to wrestle with the settings of the emiter in unreal engine , in the hope of somehow bit by bit to adjust something like that, but my little experience in the field of knowledge did not give result) the original versions of Flex http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/con...fuse-particles
    How do I enable or configure this yummy in UnrealEngine-FleX-4.16.0 ??
    Thanks in advance and if something goes wrong with the text ,sorry for my translation from Russian into English )

Comment

Hello,

I've been working with the 4.16 FleX integration and I was wondering if there is any way to set up an angle of rest. There is already a sand particle component (Sand Castle & Sand Container) and some properties about friction, but it only slows down the collapse of the particles. It will only stop when the sand will be flat, even if they are collapsing really slowly. I would like to make them stop falling at somepoint. Otherwise, it is not realistic.

I have played a lot around the FleX containers properties, but havent had the chance to figure out where and how I can accomplish that. To set up an angle of rest.

Here is a part of video showing the FleX particle system using friction, compared to when not using friction. Obviously, I want a behavior like the second sand castle. Just to show approximatively what I want.
      https://youtu.be/ffgRC3kvA_k?t=1m35s

I'm guessing it is not an easy request, but if someone got an idea or if someone has some experience with FleX, any help is welcomed!

Thanks a lot!
      -Reelie

Comment

Originally posted by Maxime.Dupart View Post
        I've just pushed all the required fixes and it's compiling without any issue on my side.

Edit: After downloading the build from github again and compiling it without issue, i can guarantee you this build, which includes:
        • Unreal Engine 4.16.2 , last updated 5 days ago from Epic Game.
        • Nvidia GameWorks features: Flex, Flow, HairWorks, Volumetric Lightning

https://github.com/MaximeDup/UnrealE...4.16-GameWorks

I might make a clean 4.16.2 with VXGI in coming days, but after this couple hours dedicated to play with Unreal Engine and Nvidia code.. i go back to developing my game !
        Hi [MENTION=649466]Maxime.Dupart[/MENTION], thanks for your help . I'm trying to merge VXGI into your latest 4.16 build by pulling Nvidia 4.15 VXGI branch into it, but I got tons of errors after merging conflicts. Can you give me some cue if this is the proper route for it or I should use another branch, or I should pull your build into Nvidia 4.15 VXGI branch? Cheers.
        Animost Studio

Comment

There were someone using NvFlow with a sword a couple post earlier so it should work with skeletal mesh.

Challenge of the night: while i'm watching a Cyberpunk depressing movie i'm gonna make a clean VXGI 4.16 build and we'll see if it can compile.
          brb in 1h !

edit:

Unreal 4.16.2 - VXGI : https://github.com/MaximeDup/UnrealE...tree/4.16-VXGI

Right now, Packaging fails
          Last edited by MaximeDupart; 07-07-2017, 11:07 PM.
          LinkedIn | Link custom Shaders | Atmosphere Modelisation & Procedural Planets | Distance Matching Locomotion | Nvidia GameWorks builds - 4.19.2 : VXGI2.0, Blast, HairWorks, Flow - Plugins: VictoryBP

Comment

[MENTION=27830]dvd.kh[/MENTION] you could attach an emmiter to each of the bones, but it wouldnt look that good, for a static effect (player wouldnt move) you could also use the static mesh of your guy, make a higher-res distance field and make your flow emitter emit from the distance field shape

Comment

Appreciating all the hard work your doing Maxime, especially with VXGI!

Wanted to check up and see if anyone has figured out if you can render emmisive meshes (Area Lights) without having the mesh itself visible. Still trying to figure out how to best render my interiors without having large white emissive planes blocking the view of the exterior through windows.
              Current Project: Shadow Over Isolation

Comment

Originally posted by sbnewsom View Post
                Appreciating all the hard work your doing Maxime, especially with VXGI!

Wanted to check up and see if anyone has figured out if you can render emmisive meshes (Area Lights) without having the mesh itself visible. Still trying to figure out how to best render my interiors without having large white emissive planes blocking the view of the exterior through windows.
                I would very much like to know if this is possible aswell, I like the look of ultra soft shadows that VXGI emmisive materials make.
                [MENTION=27830]dvd.kh[/MENTION] Andrew.Reidmeyer said "Did you enable 8-bit distance fields or compressed distance fields in the project settings? These are not fully supported yet by the Flow integration." but I don't see your reply on it, so did you try that?
                Last edited by overfuze; 07-08-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelie View Post
                  Hello,

I've been working with the 4.16 FleX integration and I was wondering if there is any way to set up an angle of rest. There is already a sand particle component (Sand Castle & Sand Container) and some properties about friction, but it only slows down the collapse of the particles. It will only stop when the sand will be flat, even if they are collapsing really slowly. I would like to make them stop falling at somepoint. Otherwise, it is not realistic.

I have played a lot around the FleX containers properties, but havent had the chance to figure out where and how I can accomplish that. To set up an angle of rest.

Here is a part of video showing the FleX particle system using friction, compared to when not using friction. Obviously, I want a behavior like the second sand castle. Just to show approximatively what I want.
                  https://youtu.be/ffgRC3kvA_k?t=1m35s

I'm guessing it is not an easy request, but if someone got an idea or if someone has some experience with FleX, any help is welcomed!

Thanks a lot!
                  -Reelie
                  I just made some adjustments to the flexSandContainer.uasset to make the properties match the ones in the Flex video. You can grab them in the following commit:

https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEng...87d1bdba17fdd0

It makes the behavior much closer, and the piling is generally better. The resulting angle of repose will be a complex function of many of the parameters mentioned in that commit, you would need to make some empirical measurements to make the correspondence.

Comment

This Flex demo looks even better with this angle of repose adjustment!

Here is a small performance test of VXGI at 4K on 4.16.2 using an overclocked 980-ti, and a mix between performance and quality VXGI settings:

Last edited by MaximeDupart; 07-10-2017, 03:58 AM.
                    LinkedIn | Link custom Shaders | Atmosphere Modelisation & Procedural Planets | Distance Matching Locomotion | Nvidia GameWorks builds - 4.19.2 : VXGI2.0, Blast, HairWorks, Flow - Plugins: VictoryBP

Comment

Originally posted by Maxime.Dupart View Post
                      This Flex demo looks even better with this angle of repose adjustment!

Here is a small performance test of VXGI at 4K on 4.16.2 using an overclocked 980-ti:

The demo looks awesome! I will try to merge this into the other branch. Lucky me I don't care much for packaging at the moment. Thanks a lot [MENTION=649466]Maxime.Dupart[/MENTION]
                      Animost Studio

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=18569]sbnewsom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=485316]sieumeo[/MENTION] !

The previous video was actually done with a mix of performance and quality VXGI settings.

This new one is straight performance setup.
                        There might be some room left to grab a couple more Framerate but i guess it's close to be the most of what you can get from current implementation:
                        I'm around 40 frame per second at 4K. I assume a 1080-Ti should be close to 60 ?

There's a lot of emissive materials, a moving directional light and moving point light all casting GI with Vxgi.

Last edited by MaximeDupart; 07-10-2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=649466]Maxime.Dupart[/MENTION] I've merged your VXGI into your other Gameworks build, the only thing left was the Substance plugin error which I'm trying to figure out. Thanks a lot for sharing these man.
                          Animost Studio

Comment

Originally posted by sieumeo View Post
                            [MENTION=649466]Maxime.Dupart[/MENTION] I've merged your VXGI into your other Gameworks build, the only thing left was the Substance plugin error which I'm trying to figure out. Thanks a lot for sharing these man.
                            You can also remove engine/plugins/runtime/Substance folder alltogether

Edit: i have just pushed some missing Substance files (most of them actually were missing), but it still miss some lib in binaries folder. You'll need to grab them from the launcher or substance github.
                            Last edited by MaximeDupart; 07-10-2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dvd.kh
                              yup ... 8 bit is off , compress is off ... crash again !!
                              Pushed 8-bit and compressed distance field support to GitHub today. Have been testing using NvFlowPluginSamples/Content/SimpleFlame_ShapeSDF.umap. Have you verified this test map functions on your system without crashing?

Comment

Originally posted by dvd.kh
                                yes ... it works very well XD

compiling error!!

Have not seen this error. It suggests not all of your files are up to date. Those inline functions are new with the latest GitHub update.

Comment

Working...
                                X