No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not going to lie. This release was a little sloppy. Thanks for your hard work Alexey but hopefully you can test things out a bit more before you push them to Git.
    Our Ghosts of War - The World's First World War 2 Survival Game
    Twitter: @ourghostsofwar

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
      Confirmed. Also in 4.10
      Would be great if Alexey could tell us how to circumvent this issue.
      @Alexey.Panteleev ?
      Fixed it in 4.12, pull the latest from github. Thank you [MENTION=13257]Maximum-Dev[/MENTION] for the repro steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
        Fixed it in 4.12, pull the latest from github. Thank you @Maximum-Dev for the repro steps.
        Awesome! Many thanks.
        https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

AWESOME! [MENTION=14795]g[/MENTION]alaxyman do you have any plan for AIO version?
          Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandosh View Post
            AWESOME! [MENTION=14795]g[/MENTION]alaxyman do you have any plan for AIO version?
            Last I talked with GMan he was pretty buried under work, so I'm not sure how rapidly he'll be able to attend to his branch.
            Trent Polack (@mittense)
            Personal Site | Development Blog | Joy Machine

Comment

oh.... soo.... alexey? xD
              Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

There seems to be a continued bug that I've noticed since far shadow cascades were introduced that I wasn't sure if it was the default engine or the VXGI branch, but while it seems to work perfectly in the normal engine the bug has surfaced again in this build.

Basically, if there are far shadow cascades enabled on the directional light, it starts creating a strange clipping issue where shadows close to the camera sometimes vanish entirely at a hard edge where the closest cascade(s) (depending on how many far shadow cascades there are) would have been loaded in. In short, the amount of far shadow cascades enabled dictates how many standard shadow cascades close to the camera stop functioning.

Also, out of curiosity, would it be possible to make a property for lights with VXGI that changes the light bounce saturation (per light)? Could be helpful with projects that use slightly stylized lighting to bring it closer to the functionality lightmass has.

Comment

I think there is something wrong with latest VXGI branch related to ray-traced distance field shadow.
                  Here are some images taken from my current project to show the problem.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	vxgi01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	1107633
                  The image above is the VXGI branch that was released on 28th May. Ray-traced distance field shadow works perfectly, soft shadow it there and you can see it.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:	vxgi02.jpg
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	1107634
                  The image above is the VXGI branchi that was released yesterday on 4th June. With ray-traced distance field shadow on in point light detail settings, there is no shadow shown in my scene. However if I turn off ray-traced distance field shadow off, the normal shadow effect still works without any problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:	vxgi03.PNG
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	1107635
                  The image above shows that editor crashed during building mesh distance fields. It happens every time when I tried to load Sci-Fi hallway showcase. The branch was successfully built without any error and warning. So I can confirm that the latest VXGI branch is not working properly with shadow features in Unreal Engine 4.

After I encountered shadow problems, I switched to previous version and it still works. It is still good enough for my project on current stage. However, I noticed that VXGI doesn't work well with distance field shadow as it does with normal shadow or CSM.
                  Here are 2 images for comparison.

Image 1:

Name:	vxgi04.jpg
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	1107636

Image 2:

Name:	vxgi05.jpg
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	1107637

Image 1 is ray-traced distance field shadow on and image 2 is off. From what I see, when I turn ray-traced distance field shadow on, the diffuse bounce GI in unnoticeable. However, when I increase indirect lighting intensity to 5 times, then bouncing lights become more obvious and my scene looks more real. In image 2, I disabled ray-traced distance field shadow. I didn't have to change post process settings, VXGI worked as it should. It looks good to me. I am not sure this is a bug or VXGI intended to behave like that with distance field shadow.

Comment

Hello,

I want use flexible mesh in game and for this I want use Flex of Nvidia. I has tried to integrate this

https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/FleX

in the UE4.10 but This is not the web page.

I need help.

Comment

So, I had a radical thought but I am no programmer. Is it feasible to use VXGI to bake lighting and update it only as needed? In other words, suppose you have a static scene, VXGI bakes it down, VXGI is then disabled and in theory the performance would become the same as Lightmass. If something dynamic happens and changes the scene, then VXGI kicks back on and updates it, perhaps not even in real time, every 5th frame or something along those lines. Perhaps there could be some distance based function there too, so as you move around distant features are getting baked and refined as you move closer.

Thoughts? If it's a terrible idea or has been asked before feel free to delete this. Mainly looking for an option that will give good results in VR while still supporting a near fully dynamic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
                        So, I had a radical thought but I am no programmer. Is it feasible to use VXGI to bake lighting and update it only as needed? In other words, suppose you have a static scene, VXGI bakes it down, VXGI is then disabled and in theory the performance would become the same as Lightmass. If something dynamic happens and changes the scene, then VXGI kicks back on and updates it, perhaps not even in real time, every 5th frame or something along those lines. Perhaps there could be some distance based function there too, so as you move around distant features are getting baked and refined as you move closer.

Thoughts? If it's a terrible idea or has been asked before feel free to delete this. Mainly looking for an option that will give good results in VR while still supporting a near fully dynamic scene.
                        As far as I know, VXGI doesn't work that way. It voxelizes entire scene and each voxel contains information of direct lighting and indirect lighting. Basically it doesn't support any types of baked information if I am not wrong.
                        There are many solutions to make dynamic lighting environments and the choice is on you. Here are some personal experience:
                        Lowering VXGI settings gives you a boost and if it is low enough, it can match the performance of LPVGI and VXGI is much more stable.
                        You can try using traditional methods like skylight and global illumination in post process volume to brighten your scene if your environment doesn't have much color variation and you don't need much depth in your scene.
                        I have tried the combination of LPVGI and VXAO, it worked and AO pass of VXGI doesn't give any performance hit. If your scene is not too large, this might be a good choice since VXAO provide a solid result and more stable than SSAO. However, if your scene is very large, then you will find LPV gives you flashing effects of secondary bounce. It is not stable in my scene.

Comment

VXGI could be adjusted to support baked lighting. It would not be as good as lightmass but on highest quality it would be good enough for a lot of cases. It would also be much quicker than Lightmass. Indeed after such a bake you could opt in or out for VXGI to remain active for dynamic changes only. Not gonna happen. NVIDIA has already commented they currently have no such plans.

Comment

Sorry for the long reply and excuse my UE4/VXGI/GitHub ignorance in advance. I'm an artist and not a programmer but coming from Maya and the Arnold renderer, VXGU looks and sounds amazing.

The amazing thing about UE4 is that it's opening the door to people like myself to get into game engine development without knowing a single C++ command or convention. The downside is that people like me are way behind the curve and running into lots of problems trying to explore areas like VXGI integration.

TL;DR is there any way the more experienced developers can post an .exe of UE4 with VXGI integrated?

What is stopping this from happening? Is there something that makes it prohibitive, like some legal issue or is it just the time it takes to build it and upload the exe?

It would certainly save me a lot of time and I can could probably contribute to the community in a more meaningful way by actually using VXGI and sharing my experiences (as opposed to complaining why GenerateProjectFiles is looking for VS 2013, or how to clone the right branch etc.). I value all the work you guys are putting into this so if there is any way I can contribute in a non-programmer way then let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by netseeker View Post
                              As far as I know, VXGI doesn't work that way. It voxelizes entire scene and each voxel contains information of direct lighting and indirect lighting. Basically it doesn't support any types of baked information if I am not wrong.
                              There are many solutions to make dynamic lighting environments and the choice is on you. Here are some personal experience:
                              Lowering VXGI settings gives you a boost and if it is low enough, it can match the performance of LPVGI and VXGI is much more stable.
                              You can try using traditional methods like skylight and global illumination in post process volume to brighten your scene if your environment doesn't have much color variation and you don't need much depth in your scene.
                              I have tried the combination of LPVGI and VXAO, it worked and AO pass of VXGI doesn't give any performance hit. If your scene is not too large, this might be a good choice since VXAO provide a solid result and more stable than SSAO. However, if your scene is very large, then you will find LPV gives you flashing effects of secondary bounce. It is not stable in my scene.
                              Thanks for the tips, that's pretty useful.

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                              VXGI could be adjusted to support baked lighting. It would not be as good as lightmass but on highest quality it would be good enough for a lot of cases. It would also be much quicker than Lightmass. Indeed after such a bake you could opt in or out for VXGI to remain active for dynamic changes only. Not gonna happen. NVIDIA has already commented they currently have no such plans.
                              That's what I was thinking. Too bad we can't convince them to do it to push VR forward now rather than wait hardware to catch up, unless of course the competition does it. Just curious, where did you read NVIDIA's comment? This thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
                                Just curious, where did you read NVIDIA's comment? This thread?
                                Iirc it's floating around somewhere on the VXGI Q&A 'forum' on Github.

Comment

Working...
                                X