NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
    There was no support for VXGI on translucent materials... until now.

I added support for cone tracing functions in materials, see this experimental branch - it's not been tested enough, so I'm not merging it into the official one yet.
    https://github.com/apanteleev/Unreal...slucentTracing

To use this new feature:
    1. Open a material, make its blend mode Translucent.
    2. Check the "Vxgi Cone Tracing" box in Translucency section.
    3. Place a "VxgiTraceCone" primitive onto the material graph, and connect it as you wish. There can be multiple cones, for example reflection and refraction.

For reflections, connect AbsoluteWorldPosition to StartPos, and the result of CustomReflectionVector(Vertex|PixelNormalWS, CameraVector) to Direction. ConeFactor is the cone width, and it's also required - start with 0.1.
    For refractions, same to StartPos, and custom expression refract(-CameraVector, Vertex|PixelNormalWS, refraction index) to Direction.
    @Alexey.Panteleev
    Thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by Gandosh View Post
      Fingers crossed. I'm hoping this will fix my fps issue.
      @galaxyman. Anything new on your merge? is this update included?
      No update to my branch as of yet. Trying to upgrade to 4.10, not going well. Need VS2015 libraries for APEX Turbulence, and maybe others, but even compiling is VS2013 fails to run.
      NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
      Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

Hello,

Is there a UE4 GitHub branch that has Nividia's Gameworks VR SLI integrated? Or are there any plans for a beta release in the near future? I'm working on a master's project that uses VR and I'm considering purchasing a second GTX980. Using the per-eye rendering seems could be a great performance boost.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
          No update to my branch as of yet. Trying to upgrade to 4.10, not going well. Need VS2015 libraries for APEX Turbulence, and maybe others, but even compiling is VS2013 fails to run.
          I'm sure find solution friend thank you for this valuable work...!

Comment

Here are some examples for VXGI cone tracing in materials.

This is a reflective material:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ReflectMaterial.png
Views:	1
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1093641

This is a refractive material - the custom function is "refract(-CameraVector, Normal, IOR)":

Name:	RefractMaterial.png
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1093642

And this is how they look in a scene, reflective sphere on the left and refractive on the right:

Name:	ReflectAndRefractSpheres.png
Size:	894.3 KB
ID:	1093643

Remember to check the "Vxgi Cone Tracing Enabled" box in the material properties, and that the material has to be translucent.
            Also vxgi functions will not work in the material editor preview, only in the scene.

Comment

Hi all,

Yesterday, I downloaded Galaxyman's git hub source code. Build the project everything went fine. (A big thank you to Galaxyman by the way)

However, today, as I tried to import my hairwork .fbx and .apx into UE4. The imported fur--although rendered correctly--it won't deform with the mesh while playing animation.

I've tried several ways to export .fbx and .apx on the 3ds max side but to no avail.

Tried testing using Nvidia's HairWork Viewer and the fur sync perfectly with my mesh using an walking animation.

I suspect there's something overlooked/wrong at the UE4 side, but just couldn't pin down the problem.

I was following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Oy92QGrQc to setup my fur and mesh.

The component setup in my blueprint looks like this:

sceneRoot -> SkeletalMesh -> Hair Component.

After assigning the mesh and hair asset into each component, I use "Use Animation Asset" to assign animation to my mesh, but somehow the fur just won't deform with my mesh.

Not sure which step gone wrong in my setting, any help will be appreciated.
              Last edited by rit; 11-21-2015, 12:15 PM.
              Steam Page

Comment

Originally posted by rit View Post
                Hi all,

Yesterday, I downloaded Galaxyman's git hub source code. Build the project everything went fine. (A big thank you to Galaxyman by the way)

However, today, as I tried to import my hairwork .fbx and .apx into UE4. The imported fur--although rendered correctly--it won't deform with the mesh while playing animation.

I've tried several ways to export .fbx and .apx on the 3ds max side but to no avail.

Tried testing using Nvidia's HairWork Viewer and the fur sync perfectly with my mesh using an walking animation.

I suspect there's something overlooked/wrong at the UE4 side, but just couldn't pin down the problem.

I was following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Oy92QGrQc to setup my fur and mesh.

The component setup in my blueprint looks like this:

sceneRoot -> SkeletalMesh -> Hair Component.

After assigning the mesh and hair asset into each component, I use "Use Animation Asset" to assign animation to my mesh, but somehow the fur just won't deform with my mesh.

Not sure which step gone wrong in my setting, any help will be appreciated.
                Hey Rit, Did you export the growth mesh along with the fbx and apx?

Twitter | UE4 Marketplace

Comment

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
                  Here are some examples for VXGI cone tracing in materials.

This is a reflective material:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]66855[/ATTACH]

This is a refractive material - the custom function is "refract(-CameraVector, Normal, IOR)":
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]66856[/ATTACH]

And this is how they look in a scene, reflective sphere on the left and refractive on the right:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]66857[/ATTACH]

Remember to check the "Vxgi Cone Tracing Enabled" box in the material properties, and that the material has to be translucent.
                  Also vxgi functions will not work in the material editor preview, only in the scene.
                  Looking good. Think you could provide some guidelines (it can be a PM, no problem) on how to make custom nodes like the VXGI ones you created? Want to add a few for the project I'm working on.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm using only one mesh--the detailed mesh. Since, I thought I could create hairworks by using the detailed mesh alone.

Is this causing the problem?

I've tried copy (not instancing) the original mesh, and add hair and fur modifier on that extra mesh and create hairwork on that extra mesh instead, then export the whole scene as .fbx and .apx, but the result is still the same, fur won't animate in UE4.

And, since the fur can be animated in Nvidia's HairWork Viewer, I guess the exported .fbx and .apx is correct? (which lead me to think I done something wrong in the UE4 editor side.)

In UE4, I've used r.Hair.VisualizeBones 1 command, and it appears the hair bone is still while my mesh is animating.

It seems the hairwork has the correct bone information, but somehow did not get fed by UE4's animation system?? (How do hair component know which animation its parent mesh is currently playing anyways??)

Am I missing something here?
                    Last edited by rit; 11-21-2015, 07:05 PM.
                    Steam Page

Comment

Hi rit - it sounds like your hair component isn't actually parented to your skeletal mesh. You can simply do this my dragging the hair component onto the skeletal mesh in the outliner. Does the hair move with the mesh when you translate in the viewport?

I'm actually just dropping my character into the scene and adding the hair component because this allows me to animate the character in Matinee (which I haven't figured out how to do when the character is in a blueprint). Then I simply choose the animation for the skeletal mesh and the hair follows along. I'm using the same mesh for rendering and hair btw but should work with any growth mesh.

One issue I am having is I cannot get the hair to export at the correct orientation no matter what combination of up-axis settings I use in Maya and the hairworks exporter. My workaround is that after creating the hairworks node I select it and rotate the guidemesh -90 degrees along with the guide hairs then export. It works but is an annoying extra step. Anyone know what is causing this? Has the problem with both Hairworks viewer and Unreal. Character exports correctly but hair is rotated forward 90 degrees.

Cheers
                      http://andrewleyconcepts.com/

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I placed my hair component under my skeletalmesh component as a child component.

When I translate/rotate the mesh, the hair moves along, no problem, but it just won't deform when the the mesh is playing animation.

I even printed the hair's parent component in event begin play, and it shows correctly as the skeletalmesh's object name.

In your reply post, you said you use the same mesh. Do you mean you only use one mesh in 3ds max/ maya without using any extra growth mesh like in this tutorial video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwji3ZTrbCI

I use only one mesh at first while I was creating my hairwork node, then when it didn't work out (fur not deformed in UE4) I copied the original mesh and create hairwork on top of that, and then export the whole scene, but still no luck.

I downloaded Nvidia's hairwork demo project, and opened it with my UE4 editor, and the hair works fine in the demo map, yet, I don't see any differences between its blueprint setup and mine.

Does your spline animate with the mesh in 3ds max/maya? Because after I hit Guides -> Spline, the created spline don't animated with the mesh unlike the guides in hair and fur modifier, are you experiencing the same thing? Or maybe this is just the way it suppose to be?

I am running out of ideas. /_\

HairWorks plug-in Version 1.1.11028.12472
                        PhysX Plug-in Version 3.00.01116.02380
                        PhysX SDK Version 3.3.0
                        Last edited by rit; 11-21-2015, 10:47 PM. Reason: additional information
                        Steam Page

Comment

yes - I just have the one mesh skinned in Maya. I created the guide curves with XGen and those deform along with the skinned mesh. When I create the Hairworks node I convert them to curves and select the group as the guide curves and, like yours, these curves don't follow the skinned mesh but they don't need to.

Sounds like you are doing everything right, especially if it's animating ok in the Hairworks viewer. Will let you know if I think of anything.
                          http://andrewleyconcepts.com/

Comment

Well, When I was trying out HairWorks in the beginning, I followed the Nvidia tutorial in which they just use Export All when exporting both the fbx and apx. That worked fine for me in UE4. But later on after making a few changes to the hairstyle, I got rid of the growth mesh altogether and just used the base skinned mesh to author the hair (I'm using Shave in Maya). It still worked fine in engine.

Another thing you can try is unparent the HairWorks component from the skelmesh in your blueprint, then check and see if it's transform values match the skelmesh's transforms. If it does, then drag the hair component onto the Skelmesh component. I had some issues with placement when I was setting up my blueprint. Hope that helps. Also, could you share a screenshot or video of what your hairworks is looking like in engine?

Comment

Sure,

My mesh is a biped rabbit, build with 3ds max originally with a simple editable mesh modifier and a skin modifier.

mesh in 3ds max:

Name:	r0.png
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	1093730

UE4 blueprint without assigning animation:

Name:	r1.png
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	1093725

UE4 bluepirnt with animation:

Name:	r2.png
Size:	614.5 KB
ID:	1093726

mesh:

Name:	r3.png
Size:	693.7 KB
ID:	1093727

skeleton:

Name:	r4.png
Size:	696.3 KB
ID:	1093728

If you need more information, please let me know.

I've tried importing my .fbx and .apx to the HairWorks Tech demo project this morning (to verify if there's any project setting I have overlooked), but the fur still refuse to animate with the mesh
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by rit; 11-22-2015, 04:31 AM. Reason: re-upload pics
                              Steam Page

Comment

Hmm everything seems fine from the screenshots. And you did mention it worked fine in the HairWorks viewer, so it can't be an issue with exporting from max and is something in the engine. Can you post a screenshot of the Hair component settings in your blueprint? Might be some setting there.

EDIT: Also can you show me how you've set up your hair guide curves in 3Dsmax? if the guide curves do not begin exactly at the vertex of the mesh, that guide curve won't deform with the mesh. Hope that helps
                                Last edited by Abeysaurus; 11-23-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X