NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexey.Panteleev View Post
    Right, translucent objects currently cannot be lit by VXGI in UE. Custom shaders, like one you saw in the GDC/GTC presentation, are supported by VXGI and can be used for things like reflections or refractions on translucent objects, but that hasn't been integrated into UE yet, and there are no specific plan for this feature. But if you or anyone else wishes to add it, feel free to do so; I can help with the VXGI side. Basically, you need to write a material shader that calls VxgiTraceCone(...) and compile that shader with VXGI::IShaderCompiler::compileConeTracingPixelShader(...) - see the comments for this function in GFSDK_VXGI.h. Then use IGlobalIllumination::setupUserDefinedConeTracingPixelShaderState(...) to get the parts of pipeline needed for tracing, set that state, and draw the meshes.
    Alright, I'll see what I can do, thanks a lot for the precisions

Comment

This LOW FPPS problem is getting really heavy. Now VXGI not even starting with normal FPS :|
      Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandosh View Post
        This LOW FPPS problem is getting really heavy. Now VXGI not even starting with normal FPS :|
        Is this in my branch or NVIDIAs? Since Alexey has committed a performance fix. I have yet to merge in those changes, so I am still using the new backend without the performance fix (therefore performance isn't as good as it can be)
        NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
        Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

yeah i'm on your branch. Its bugging me since VXGI 4.9 release. On 4.8 it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandosh View Post
            yeah i'm on your branch. Its bugging me since VXGI 4.9 release. On 4.8 it was fine.
            I will eventually get to merging across the changes. Hope to do it soon, but am working on some other things first.

Comment

Ok thank you. Until your new merge i'll hang on my 4.8

Comment

Howdy all,

I'm very excited to try this, but I ran into an install problem. This is my first time with GitHub and VS. Everything went fine until I tried to run GenerateProjectFiles.bat

Setting up Unreal Engine 4 project files...

GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: We couldn't find a valid installation of Visual Studio. This program requires either Visual Studio 2013 or Visual Studio 2012. Please check that you have Visual Studio installed, then verify that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\InstallDir (or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\InstallDir on 32-bit machines) registry value is set. Visual Studio configures this value when it is installed, and this program expects it to be set to the '\Common7\IDE\' sub-folder under a valid Visual Studio installation directory.
                I did a regedit and couldn't find the specified KEY. The entry for VS is there, but nothing there for InstallDir. Also, I'm using VS Community.

Any thoughts?

-Sterling
                Run with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

Unreal 4 in 30 Days - An Unreal Experience: https://youtu.be/DV5l7d4b9Cs

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingY View Post
                  Howdy all,

I'm very excited to try this, but I ran into an install problem. This is my first time with GitHub and VS. Everything went fine until I tried to run GenerateProjectFiles.bat

I did a regedit and couldn't find the specified KEY. The entry for VS is there, but nothing there for InstallDir. Also, I'm using VS Community.

Any thoughts?

-Sterling
                  This is usually a sign of Visual Studio not being installed correctly. Only thing I can suggest is reinstall, or set the key urself, but not sure if other keys might be checked that you dont have. Better off doing a reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingY View Post
                    Howdy all,

Any thoughts?

-Sterling
                    It might be a missing environment variable. I added the "C:\Windows\System32\" to "Path", and fixed the problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyMan2015 View Post
                      This is usually a sign of Visual Studio not being installed correctly. Only thing I can suggest is reinstall, or set the key urself, but not sure if other keys might be checked that you dont have. Better off doing a reinstall.
                      I figured it out. I had installed VS 2015. problem solved. Now I have to figure out how to use the new features. DO I have to install more code for different GW features, or is it all built into the GameWorks merged branch? I don't see any settings for GW options.

Cheers,

Sterling
                      Last edited by SterlingY; 11-04-2015, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Its all merged in with the merged branch, each GameWorks tech is used differently. ie VXGI is mostly enabled via a Post Processing volume. HairWorks requires importing a HairWorks asset. FLEX assets can be created via New. Turbulence assets same, etc.

Comment

Its all merged in with the merged branch, each GameWorks tech is used differently. ie VXGI is mostly enabled via a Post Processing volume. HairWorks requires importing a HairWorks asset. FLEX assets can be created via New. Turbulence assets same, etc.
                          Well, I either downloaded and built the wrong thing or I'm really missing the obvious. After VS built it, I made it my startup and launched the editor, which was a 4.7.3.0 but I don't see anything anywhere about gameworks stuff. I looked at various actor's such as Post Processing, but nothing is different than what I'm used to, which is UE 4.9

I'm beginning to think I installed only the editor, and perhaps I had to go further in to the branches. But I'm new to this gitHub stuff. I forked from here:

http://prntscr.com/8yvyhy
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by SterlingY; 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Yeah u downloaded the wrong branch. Click on the link in my signature. The branch you want is 4.9.2_NVIDIA_Techs. All other branches are either out of date or just UE4 branches

Comment

Yeah u downloaded the wrong branch. Click on the link in my signature. The branch you want is 4.9.2_NVIDIA_Techs. All other branches are either out of date or just UE4 branches
                              Thanks. I'm in the middle of unzipping the download. the GitHub client was being bitchy. In unzipping, which it is still doing, It errored out saying the path was too long on a few files, so I had to skip them. Now I'm thinking I should have extracted to my c: drive instead of within my downloads folder. In the meantime, it's still extracting, with an estimated 30 minutes to go. I'm on an 8 core machine using an SSD, wow this is slow!

http://prntscr.com/8yvufp
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by SterlingY; 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Yeah it needs to be extracted to a shallow directory. Usually I just use E:\UnrealEngine or something like that

Comment

Working...
                                X